Best fj60 roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the Baja Rack, flat rack. Reasonably priced, functional, and stout. Four supports each side.

I made an Aluminum one. Its very simple and lightweight. Its been on the rig for 2 years now and I have no complaints. It has survived very dense and rugged west coast "bush" (LOL) Not the greatest rack pics but the best I could find.

1074726_10151772983200491_1092362538_o.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

FJ62 custom rack

I had this rack custom-made by a friend here in Tanzania who builds safari trucks for a living. It's low-profile like the Wind Cheetah racks, but has the check-plate platform on top, which I sized specifically to fit my 2-person tent. It's proven incredibly useful for just throwing stuff up on the roof, from surf boards to mountain bikes, to a couple of friends on game drives, to a new desk for my son's room. And he threw in the ladder at no cost! It's great for accessing both the roof and the back of the truck, since I can climb up top with the other half open in back.

Rack 2.jpg

Rack 3.JPG

Rack 4.JPG

And I should add that I took for inspiration the racks posted by CardinalFJ60 and Doug720, to give credit where credit is due.

I have a 6 foot by 4 foot Con-ferr roof rack. I like it and will probably buy another one in the future
Hello; could you send me a picture of your Con Fer roof rack; I spoke with someone at Diamond Racks, who said they bought the rights and patents to Con Fer; they make one very similar to it still. However, my truck is in the Philippines and I may have to build my own. I want to build it out of aluminum stock but copy the Con Fer type basket rack. I haven't found any other companies besides ARB available there; which I don't care that much for theirs either. That's my truck in the profile picture; 1988 LC HJ61 12ht, H55 5spd; Sahara model, which is a pain also because ARB sent me a list of steel only models that will work on that; no alloy do they recommend for it......so....make my own.

Looks absolutely perfect!! Tim makes a great product and one heck of a nice guy to work with.

I had an old skool Con Fer which was some how the right style for the cruiser. But it was noisy and a bit of a cross wind “sail”. After all my build, I decided I wanted a rack that had a bit more diversity to it - throw stuff up there but also would take a RTT/ awning etc. So round 2, I went with a Gobi low profile and I and very happy with it.

3E20A371-1A2F-4954-BC8E-45FCC1D6B31D.jpeg

CCA0A474-DCD7-47AF-B7FA-95478BE4D972.jpeg

4E29C784-E599-4963-99D3-7D28A2ED2792.jpeg

The Gobi comes fully prewired with integral light mounts (with ground bars) front and back. Very little road noise ( comes with a great wind deflector) and has plenty of roof gutter mounts for structural stabilty. Very good build quality.

got any pics of your fly rod holder? ill be a licensed and bonded guide next year and am looking into solutions. currently I got a rod holder on the inside of the truck
Rod Vault is the Fly fisherman’s friend.

I had an old skool Con Fer which was some how the right style for the cruiser. But it was noisy and a bit of a cross wind “sail”. After all my build, I decided I wanted a rack that had a bit more diversity to it - throw stuff up there but also would take a RTT/ awning etc. So round 2, I went with a Gobi low profile and I and very happy with it.

View attachment 1603061
View attachment 1603059
View attachment 1603060

The Gobi comes fully prewired with integral light mounts (with ground bars) front and back. Very little road noise ( comes with a great wind deflector) and has plenty of roof gutter mounts for structural stabilty. Very good build quality.

Nice rack - and they’re running a deal on the website for a free accessory until 1/9. What bumpers are you running there?

I am looking forward to seeing what @reevesci comes up with

He is building an aluminum rack with stainless components. Per everything he builds, it is being over built. Check out the Trail-Tailor thread here (Trail Tailor Offerings). Ya it is a shameless plug for him.

I personalty think Aluminum is the way to go on the 60's. I have had several (Baja, custom, Trail-Tailor, galvanized, etc. ) racks over the years and all are way to heavy. Baja was the lightest for sure, but I always felt that aluminum would be better, especially after adding front and rear bumpers and a Roof Top Tent (hardtop models are the worst for weight). All of that weight reduces MPG and increases the wear and tear of the drive train.

Anywhere you can save weight is a good thing in my book.

I will say the Baja I had on my FJCruiser was fantastic and had zero wind noise.

Nice rack - and they’re running a deal on the website for a free accessory until 1/9. What bumpers are you running there?
The rear is a 4x4Labs weld it up your self bumper and the front is a 4Plus

Hello; could you send me a picture of your Con Fer roof rack; I spoke with someone at Diamond Racks, who said they bought the rights and patents to Con Fer; they make one very similar to it still. However, my truck is in the Philippines and I may have to build my own. I want to build it out of aluminum stock but copy the Con Fer type basket rack. I haven't found any other companies besides ARB available there; which I don't care that much for theirs either. That's my truck in the profile picture; 1988 LC HJ61 12ht, H55 5spd; Sahara model, which is a pain also because ARB sent me a list of steel only models that will work on that; no alloy do they recommend for it......so....make my own.
UPDATE:... I made a trip over to the Philippines in January 2018; I found a decent all aluminum rack, at KRT offroad shop in Angeles City. The legs for it are all steel though for strength; I had 4 put on each side of it. You can grab and shake the whole truck, very solid. Installed was about $529 usd. I'll try to add a photo of it here; new to this site and stumbling around !

IMG_0986.JPG

Tim can make a flat rack for your 60

Gamiviti
Agreed here. Tim can make anything you want. There are several great rack options out there, but so also went with Gamiviti and I’m very happy. Paging @nakman

39ACCDAE-B684-4561-A66D-FBD1AACCE2A5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom