Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My opinion is, if you can fit one in a freeze-plug hole, do it. I put the external recirc one in and it's kind of in the way. I didn't think I could get one in a freeze-plug without pulling the engine though, just 'cause it's so tight in the engine bay. I'm trying to check my injection pump timing this week and will have to remove the coolant heater hoses to get the timing device to fit...nothing's easy.
Yeah not sure I can fit one in a freeze plug either. That 13bt is tight. The one benefit of the radiator hose is that it’s easy to reach and doesn’t take up room.

Not much room in this bay.

1663261617430.jpeg

Can you pull the red battery and reach the one behind the injection pump, near the firewall? I have a brake booster in the way there, but was thinking I could get one in there.

Capture.JPG

I put one on the lower radiator hose on my last 3B, in a 45 Troopy. It worked fine in the short time that I had it. I sold it pretty soon after I added it and didn't drive it much in the winter either.

They definitely make a difference, way easier to start in the winter.

Can you pull the red battery and reach the one behind the injection pump, near the firewall? I have a brake booster in the way there, but was thinking I could get one in there.

View attachment 3115829

I put one on the lower radiator hose on my last 3B, in a 45 Troopy. It worked fine in the short time that I had it. I sold it pretty soon after I added it and didn't drive it much in the winter either.

They definitely make a difference, way easier to start in the winter.

It would be tight back there but depending on the size it might fit.

16861ABF-78B0-43E7-B227-BFDFB0E73714.jpeg

The radiator hose should be really easy. Are there any downfalls to the radiator hose one? Not as many watts. Cutting a hose and 2 more clamps.

F5909A8D-8ACD-4138-BE25-22F1BA50B0E0.jpeg

I don't think so. Just not as clean an install as the block I guess.

So non-Toyota tech but figured this was the best place/forum to ask.

What’s the official name for this connector? Pin and socket? As you can see, we had a vehicle ground/issue and melted ground. So I need to replace the wire and the pin and whole connector.

It’s on a VW.

8426DC37-4950-48AB-9276-5527497CFA6A.jpeg

Last edited:
So non-Toyota tech but figured this was the best place/forum to ask.

What’s the official name for this connector? Pin and socket? As you can see, we had a vehicle ground/issue and melted ground. So I need to replace the wire and the pin and whole connector.

It’s on a VW.

View attachment 3121206
In the Toyota world you would be looking for a connector housing and repair splices. I don't know if VW uses the same nomenclature.

Any chance you could find it on a VW in a junkyard?

In the Toyota world you would be looking for a connector housing and repair splices. I don't know if VW uses the same nomenclature.

Thanks I’ll look under that idea.

Any chance you could find it on a VW in a junkyard?

That was another thought. We have a junkyard about 20 mins away, it’s Probabaly standard so I’ll check the pick n pull.

I believe IDParts carries repair splices, not sure about the connector. It looks like one of the plugs that goes into a fuse or relay block? Junkyard would be my first port of call; you may also be able to find a used one on eBay.

I believe IDParts carries repair splices, not sure about the connector. It looks like one of the plugs that goes into a fuse or relay block? Junkyard would be my first port of call; you may also be able to find a used one on eBay.
Correct fuse box connector. I googled for a bit and thought what’s better than google? Mud!

I’ve actually found that full harness oem new for $260, but I’d rather just pay $2.00 at a pick n pull for the connector

Took a trip up to my old high school for a basketball state championship reunion. Why it was in October, I don’t know. Maybe weather related.

Anyways my son and I took off for a day trip through some beautiful country.

Started off nice and warm in the 60s. Had just the safari top on.

F6882758-B4B7-4D08-B5B4-A49664504BAE.jpeg

The route we took was basically a curvy mountain pass the whole Time taking us from 5000’ to 10,000’ to 8000’, then the same back home. Locals will know it as the Poudre Canyon. It’s a narrow canyon about 40 miles long following the Cache La Poudre river 1/2 the way. “The narrows” section wasn’t even made a road until the 1920s.

Fun fact:
Convict labor was used for the construction of the Poudre Canyon Road. Families of the convicts were allowed to visit. (Fort Collins Museum of Discovery)

1664815123833.jpeg

Thankfully the canyon is still pretty “people free” in terms of houses and cabins. Makes for a great drive and plenty of fishing, wildlife and famous higher up for Moose.

A6FE163B-C173-4AAC-BCC2-2C1A8EE7C383.jpeg

The leaves were looking great. It was a little cool up top at 10k, but not bad at all.

A6AAE6DD-1FF2-4FDE-B9F8-0B0781A1F16D.jpeg

Once we got just out of the mountains and into North Park, just as I remembered from my youth, the weather will change fast.

The temp dropped, the wind picked up and started some cold drizzle. Pulled over and put the rest of the top on and turned the heater up.

The colors were in full display here.

8087D38B-EF46-48BF-8686-E34F5B71635C.jpeg

To be continued…

Congratulations on the state basketball championship. That's impressive!

Love the photos too.

Yeah it was cool. They haven’t come
Close again to getting one. Pretty cool a small mountain town that no one gave a chance. Denver papers said we would be last place team in the beginning of the season. We limped our way into the tournaments with a 14-7 record and ended up winning it all.
Cue dramatic music for lifetime movie slow motion jumping/screaming celebration scene with hugging and fanfare as we hoist the trophy :rofl:
We actually played the tournament at the Air Force Academy gym in Colorado Springs.

I’m sure there’s a movie to be made here, starring Brad Pitt as fjben…

More photos on the way!

After driving around town to show my son again some places and my old home(it doesn’t take long) we grabbed some snacks and heading back home.

Only about 8 miles out of town we see this out in the distance. Big cow moose just grazing along. It’s amazing how big they are even at distance. I pretty much see one everytime we head up there.

They’ve named north park the moose viewing capital of colorado. Everyone has to be good at something right?

7EB253E6-1E61-48D5-A375-E501B6BD76C6.jpeg

Colors

265060AD-7926-484F-ACDF-E7E0611A88F1.jpeg

ED07F59A-47C1-4DF4-9F12-EF6C48841A5B.jpeg

B6F00CE6-75D4-4EE8-B382-6C6EE461A1D0.jpeg

An astute observer will notice the sides of the top are wrinkled and don’t seem to fit good. Well, I haven’t had those on but maybe 1 or 2 times over the summer and not recently. Well when you hit 30ish degrees, they were a bit tough to get on there right and seem to have shrunk with the weather. :D

1CD3F6C7-11D1-44D8-82C3-92646500462B.gif

Safe to say they fit fine and have gone back to normal size in the sun :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom