Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wife did this today. 54k miles on the tires, several trails in the San Juans under them, and the concrete jungle was what took it down. Destroyed 500 feet from home. With 54k looks like it'll be best to replace them all even though they're in great shape. Wish city road construction could be held responsible.

A19E3442-46C1-4060-9E85-F6F606F51E86_1_201_a.jpeg

4D69FBC8-0F47-45B8-9624-58D286177EBD_1_201_a.jpeg

Wife did this today. 54k miles on the tires, several trails in the San Juans under them, and the concrete jungle was what took it down. Destroyed 500 feet from home. With 54k looks like it'll be best to replace them all even though they're in great shape. Wish city road construction could be held responsible.

View attachment 3093743

View attachment 3093744
Damn, I was wondering where that went!

View attachment 3093743

View attachment 3093744
Wear on those wildpeaks looks great for having nearly 60k miles.

Wear on those wildpeaks looks great for having nearly 60k miles.

No kidding. Mostly highway so they were babied except for the couple of days and 3-4 trails in Colorado. Kind of depressing. Not sure if just buy one and see if anywhere can shave to match the remaining tread on the others.

Expensive screw driver?

Seriously! I looked up what I paid for the 4 and it was $1236 installed about four years ago. Priced one and they're now almost $500. :mad:

Built a Cat Box out of some scrap metal I had lying around. Cat thefts are through the roof and Taco cats are easy to chop off. I cobbled this together in an afternoon and I can see a few things I'll improve if I ever build a better one. I still need to weld the bolt heads so it can't be unbolted without a grinder. I also need to cut up a few pieces to bolt on the backside to prevent the Cat from being pulled out the back.

The FJ40 was quite amused - what da heck is a cat?

7D_43646-Small.jpg
7D_43647-Small.jpg

Dirt simple - no bending just cutting and welding.
7D_43650-Small.jpg

The lower Cat is just asking to be cut off
7D_43651-Small.jpg

At home under the Taco.
7D_43654-Small.jpg
7D_43655-Small.jpg
7D_43658-Small.jpg

I got approximately this far before I realized you weren't talking about a pet cat
It was probably the cat :cat: avatar that threw you off . . . 🐈

My biggest fear for CAT thieves was in driveway. Once I move in 2007 wasn't as concerned. Had garage space and secured parking at work. I have thought of making a skid plate for CAT on my 79 FJ40. I friend made me a grill to use on the campfire. Consisted of a form stake, collar with a welded nut. Then the grill made from a ring of 5/8" rebar with heavy expanded metal. Thought something made from rebar and heavy expanded metal like the grill would work. Expanded metal would not trap heat. Not sure how a solid box effects the exhaust. On my FJ40 a box with expanded on the bottom would help with heat migration into the cab.

Headed towards Cloudcroft for a week of Lincoln National Forest road exploring followed by my annual Hatch Chile run.

Lots of rain and hail east of Payson.

03E08988-CF3F-4289-A626-8834939F6C4B.jpeg
78918B56-44FC-48DA-85F4-6F33D181D3CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure how a solid box effects the exhaust.
The heat issue is a real concern as the cat box encloses the cats in with the tranny.

I had intended to put vents in the box but ran out of time before I had to drive to Phoenix.

I checked the heat on the drive up from Phoenix to Payson and the cat box was quite hot.

I have been wanting a cordless drill for a long time and finally have a good excuse to buy one. I bought a Dewalt cordless and a 1.5 inch hole saw at the Home Depot in Payson.

I found a dry shady spot in the forest and poked nine vent holes in the box this morning.

With the engine idling there is hot air coming out the holes so they seem to be helping. Next campsite I may poke some more holes in it.

A16FA216-F41F-4233-B100-6A4CEB121E93.jpeg
CDC09D29-5E46-47F7-8F2A-906081E79032.jpeg
9FFA6BAD-F87B-407C-977D-EDB64899B0A8.jpeg

The heat issue is a real concern as the cat box encloses the cats in with the tranny.

I had intended to put vents in the box but ran out of time before I had to drive to Phoenix.

I checked the heat on the drive up from Phoenix to Payson and the cat box was quite hot.

I have been wanting a cordless drill for a long time and finally have a good excuse to buy one. I bought a Dewalt cordless and a 1.5 inch hole saw at the Home Depot in Payson.

I found a dry shady spot in the forest and poked nine vent holes in the box this morning.

With the engine idling there is hot air coming out the holes so they seem to be helping. Next campsite I may poke some more holes in it.

View attachment 3099539View attachment 3099540View attachment 3099538

Probably little to no chance the exhaust starting a fire even with the grass being two feet tall. Rained so much lateky chance of a wild fire is low. Couple weeks ago heading up SR260 out of Camp Verde seen a lightning cause fire about a half mile away. This was before getting to the General Crook Monument. ADOT was working on road and was starting to rain so didn’t report it. Poured the rest of way home. Next time threw there was no sign the fire grew. Water tanks in the forest full and everything is green. Suggest if heading north for the holiday weekend bring your own if you plan on having a campfire.

Steve, I have a scary thought exclusive to our property. That cat box becoming a pack rat box overnight.:eek:
Fud for thought, keep that puppy moving!

Steve, I have a scary thought exclusive to our property. That cat box becoming a pack rat box overnight.:eek:
Fud for thought, keep that puppy moving!
I’ve already had rat damage on the Taco engine and did think about what a nice little rat box it could become.

If only I could convince one of our rattlesnakes 🐍to live in it while it’s parked I’d be all set!

I’ve already had rat damage on the Taco engine and did think about what a nice little rat box it could become.

If only I could convince one of our rattlesnakes 🐍to live in it while it’s parked I’d be all set!

I had no garage up north many years and never had issue. Now only wiring on trailers are excessible. Just recently someone had to have their couple year old Rav4 towed because something chewing thru a wiring harness. Plenty of mice/pack rats in the area but very few snakes and no rattle snakes. In over fifty years in theis National Forest have only seen one Black Tail Rattler. So nothing gets left out of the garage. Cut deal with my 40 series and FJ62 since I most likely have spare wiring. It the new total electronic vehicles that scare me.

Over a year waiting just got notice we are going to be getting Star Link. It the 75' special cable I'm worried about. Once it finally gets here will determine size of conduit I need. Better half will not be happy after waiting over a year to have a rodent take out service. Anyone know the size of connector on the cable ends?

Probably something you will need a microscope to see and one rodent tooth can sever all of them.:D

Didn't do a whole lot mechanically speaking. But last week me and some friends went on a 1,700 mile roadtrip / camping trip through the San Juans, Moab, and up to Salt Lake City. And had a great time!

My power steering is in need of a tune up... so naturally I'm replacing everything. While in SLC I stopped by Cruiser Outfitters and picked up a Series 105 Sector Shaft Kit to go along with my Wit's End Power Steering Cooler Kit, all new high & low pressure hoses, new pump, reservoir, and for a simple "why not" will be adding a Dobinson adjustable steering stabilizer. The plan in the next 2-3 days is to get my old gearing box removed & shipped to Redhead for a full rebuild with the new sector shaft and once I get that back... the project will begin!

6277CB2F-0D28-41B4-A137-A3ED43FEED0B.jpeg

30E1A487-5D09-406E-88D6-623507146E62.jpeg

7722E846-D6C3-4B91-9FBB-F44A10445C5F.jpeg

5400549F-7E34-4428-9D75-7F162A1C1387.jpeg

AF3A8BF4-25BB-4739-AB97-724716EE5D41.jpeg

Didn't do a whole lot mechanically speaking. But last week me and some friends went on a 1,700 mile roadtrip / camping trip through the San Juans, Moab, and up to Salt Lake City. And had a great time!

My power steering is in need of a tune up... so naturally I'm replacing everything. While in SLC I stopped by Cruiser Outfitters and picked up a Series 105 Sector Shaft Kit to go along with my Wit's End Power Steering Cooler Kit, all new high & low pressure hoses, new pump, reservoir, and for a simple "why not" will be adding a Dobinson adjustable steering stabilizer. The plan in the next 2-3 days is to get my old gearing box removed & shipped to Redhead for a full rebuild with the new sector shaft and once I get that back... the project will begin!

View attachment 3118306

View attachment 3118307

View attachment 3118308

View attachment 3118312

View attachment 3118313

Thanks for stopping by!

I bought a 2011 200 Series!

Basically, I needed something newer, that could tow the boat, more reliable for daily driving, roadtrips, and other camping trips where we wont see more than a forest road.

Going to baseline it in the next week or so with: New sparkplugs, oil change, fresh diff & tcase fluid, and an ATF flush. Will probably overpay to have a dealer do these so that way it's reflected in the vehicle history as I don't know if this will be a "keep forever" vehicle or not. Are there any local Toyota dealers still offering CSC / TLCA discounts?

The "plan" is to keep modifications light. Suspension (likely going with the Dobinson MRR setup as I'm so happy with it on the 80), wheels & tires (will be finding a setup in the 285/70/r17 range), roofrack, and eventually a Dissent Low Profile front bumper.

The 80 isn't going anywhere, it's my pride and joy. But for highway heavy trips I'd like more comfort, safety features, and power.

2F3BDCD6-CACF-45CC-8C8F-0BB01D3E34E6.jpeg

E62DA9DC-8CD6-4AFD-97B8-6FD6E83E6A2A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom