Considering the Gazelle ground tent -opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have enjoyed my T4 here in SoCal so far. I have to admit I did not realize how big it would be in the bag! I'm still trying to find a better way to keep it in the rig.

View attachment 3120093
That's why I went with the smaller one, so it would fit across the back seat. I guess you'd have to run it up the middle of the rig towards the center console or something.

I still love it though, and haven't had any problems with mine now in the past 3-4 years that I've had it. And it's still as waterproof as new without having to respray it or anything.

I have an Oztent rv4 and rv5 now too, but I still find myself using the Gazelle more than those two. The only time I dont use the t4 is when I go out on my motorcycle for camping. I also lend out the Gazelle more since it is so easy to setup for first timers. When I invite friends or relatives they get to use the Gazelle and I will bring the Oztent or my Alps mountaineering tent.

So far I like the Gazelle. Has been great, the bag is a bit weathered but still intact. The odd doors are goofy at first, but are not really an issue. Massive floor space. Very happy with my purchase. All zippers good, floor is good. Since 2019 it has seen dozens of nights camping.

IMG_20220220_073848_080.jpg

20220820_183008.jpg

Just a few Happy Campers, camping.

Oh yeah RTT has come off permanently. It's too easy to use the gazelle to justify carrying that up there.

Last edited:
I have an Oztent rv4 and rv5 now too, but I still find myself using the Gazelle more than those two. The only time I dont use the t4 is when I go out on my motorcycle for camping. I also lend out the Gazelle more since it is so easy to setup for first timers. When I invite friends or relatives they get to use the Gazelle and I will bring the Oztent or my Alps mountaineering tent.

So far I like the Gazelle. Has been great, the bag is a bit weathered but still intact. The odd doors are goofy at first, but are not really an issue. Massive floor space. Very happy with my purchase. All zippers good, floor is good. Since 2019 it has seen dozens of nights camping.

View attachment 3124378

View attachment 3124381

Just a few Happy Campers, camping.

Oh yeah RTT has come off permanently. It's too easy to use the gazelle to justify carrying that up there.

Hahhaa, I got a hilarious visualization of someone trying to take a Gazelle on a motorbike. ahhaha.

I agree about the doors too. If I haven't used mine for a while, I forget which way works best to go in and out of them.

Hahhaa, I got a hilarious visualization of someone trying to take a Gazelle on a motorbike. ahhaha.

I agree about the doors too. If I haven't used mine for a while, I forget which way works best to go in and out of them.
Yeah, after crawling in and out of the smaller backpacking tent, I figured being able to walk in, even if they are odd shaped, was easier.

Last edited:
I just returned our 6-person REI tent in favor of the Gazelle T4. Setup time was the number one priority, given that we are camping with two small kids. Cant speak to how well it will hold up but I am super happy I bought it based on our recent camping experience.

1665439268024.jpeg

Anyone have experience with the T3X? I wouldn’t mind the T4, but I don’t know that I want to commit to the space it will take packed up. Looks like the T3X is 57” collapsed. Seems like it should just fit in the second row of the 80.

I have the t3. Bought just for that packed length reason.

IMO, a little small for any base camp operation (I have a Redverz for that).

Couple downsides to the Gazelle design:
A) this is not a 4 weather tent in that the mesh ceiling willl hinder heat retention (note: have not tested this but a common sense observation).
B) in blowing dust/sand environments, this tent will fill up with said dust/sand. Saw this happen on Utah's WRT on a similar meshed ceiling low dome tent during high wind.

I'm thinking the shiftpod would solve both problems. Not sure if it comes in a "short packed configure). They are heavy as well. If it works at Burning man.....

Have been using the T8 for a couple of years. Me and wife sleep on one side, kid and the dog sleep on the other side. We love it, it's a bit cumbersome due to the weight and length but I store it on the top of my cruiser, no issues. Love how quick we can get it up and down, so much faster than the pole type tents and tons of space.

Used the T3X this past weekend on a trip. Worked well. Only complaint is the odd “D” doors being a little awkward in and out. The T4 would certainly shine with its increased headroom, but I think it’s a fair trade off with the T3X’s smaller packed footprint.

Going with the T4+ overland to replace a worn Coleman family tent

FYI

THANKYOU15 is a decent code discount

Got a buddy, registered Maine Guide...also leads trail rides for Main Line Overland. He spends about 40-50 nights his Gazelle every year...I believe he's had it for 3 years now....never heard him complain. Now that he has a roof rack all the storage issues inside went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom