Undercarriage Protection Thoughts, Woolwax, Fluid Film? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CrabCake

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to the locals here on suggestions to protect my new baby's bottom side. Some of you may know that I flew out to AZ to pick this one up back in July...she was garage kept for years and obviously in a very low humidity situation in southern CA and AZ all of it's life. That said, she's an east coaster now, and I want to protect it from the winter sludge, Assateague salt, and PA mud. Thinking of using Woolwax or Fluid Film, any other suggestions or pluses for one or the other of these? The cruiser will stay garage kept, but I want to keep it as rust free as possible while still being able to enjoy for what it was made and built for. Thanks for your thoughts!

Here are a few pics of the overall condition now...super clean except for the AZ red dust/mud residue and very light surface "rust" on the axle...

I use fluid film cause Amazon sells a 6 pack of spray cans and that's more than enough to do the underside every year for me.

I use fluid film cause Amazon sells a 6 pack of spray cans and that's more than enough to do the underside every year for me.
Thanks...thinking Fluid Film right off as I don't think I want anything too thick and don't mind applying annually if needed, plus it's not a DD or really driven much in the rain either.

Happy to hear other input too!

I use woolwax applied with their pro gun and wand. I haven't used fluidfilm but I hear woolwax is a less stinky version.

I may end up going with Woolwax...my son needs to do his '96 Taco, which is crustier and would benefit from the thicker coating from what I've read. Makes it worth it to go with the decent gun and buy in bulk too since he wants to split the $$. I'll probably do a sampling of the thinner version for mine and the thicker one for his.

I definitely want to get this done before we get to winter cold and (hopefully!) some snow here...My mild OCD will make me probably power wash and detail the whole underside first even though they say that you can just spray away...

following. have a super rusty 100, a good shape 4runner and a pristine tundra. would like to spare the newer vehicles the fate of the older.

Have used both woolwax and fluid film, applied with an undercoating gun and air compressor.

Ease of application:
Fluid film > woolwax

"Creep" (gets into crevices and stuff):
Fluid film > woolwax

Smell:
Woolwax > fluid film

Post application drip:
Woolwax > fluid film

Persistence after application
Woolwax > fluid film

I applied woolwax to my truck in November last year and fluid film to wife's 4runner when she bought it new in February this year. The woolwax has barely moved aside from inside wheel wells in 21,000 miles. The fluid flim is gone other than protected areas in 7,500 miles.

Neither vehicle has any visible rust, at all. Extremely effective products.

I'd get the woolwax and heat it some before going into the gun so it flows better. Apply and forget about it.

Thanks @mgrs for the detailed thoughts, and real world side by side comparison....sounds like I'll be getting a tub of Woolwax for the LC and my son's Taco!

Planning to do woolwax for the first time in a few weeks. I have a beach trip planned as well and wondering if I should wait and do it after? I’m not sure how bad the sand will stick.

Planning to do woolwax for the first time in a few weeks. I have a beach trip planned as well and wondering if I should wait and do it after? I’m not sure how bad the sand will stick.
Sand and salt are the worst things you can do to a vehicle. That said, it's your truck, not mine. Both Woolwax and Fluid Film will cause sand to stick.

I agree with Jon. I'd wait to apply until after you get back and give the undercarriage a good pressure wash.

Reactions: 2JG
Check with @unleashd. He did this last year.

IMSMR they blasted the old paint and removed the surface rust, then they applied the waxoil all over the undercarriage.

The one thing to note is, it gets very messy. We installed the Slee rock sliders and we got covered in the waxoil. Not fun. LOL

Note: I don't know the actual name of the product... waxoil is what I've used in the past. :)

Reactions: 2JG

Unfortunately both options seem like a mess...I've held off because I'm turned off from having a perpetually gooey surface.

Any thoughts on Cosmoline? It seems like one of the "original" coatings that's been around for years and is a petroleum wax base that seems to dry more to the touch than the lanolin products.

I wouldn't use the black WoolWax. It looks like you're trying to hide what's underneath. I've applied WoolWax on 4 different vehicles and none smoked like that. Just don't spray the exhaust. :idea:

I wouldn't use the black WoolWax. It looks like you're trying to hide what's underneath. I've applied WoolWax on 4 different vehicles and none smoked like that. Just don't spray the exhaust. :idea:

Yeah, I usually run away when I see a frame glopped with POR or something else on an older used vehicle I am thinking about buying.

To the OP- yeah these products are messy, but the time spent wiping it off to work on something is a lot less time than I spent cleaning up rust each year before I started using it.

It attracts dirt for a while, but after it gets a light coating of dust it sort of hardens and does not collect more. I’d still avoid driveline parts and rubber boots and whatnot.

Living in the northeast, I'd rather have a dirty greasy gooey truck to work on than a rusty truck. BTDT.
I spray Fluid Film every October from tip to tail and everything in between. Last week I used Fluid Film black for the first time. It is slightly thicker than standard Fluid Film, sprays and covers well. Smells less than standard Fluid Film and looks reasonably good from a distance. Again, not really interested in esthetics here. Just keeping the rust at bay.
It's not a show truck, it's a daily driver that goes in the woods once in a while.

That's good to know Jon. I've been contemplating what to use on my truck and -maybe- starting a side business to do this work.

That's good to know Jon. I've been contemplating what to use on my truck and -maybe- starting a side business to do this work.
We have a local member that does this. I just lay out plastic sheeting in my driveway and drive the truck up on 4 ramps. I use a pneumatic paint sprayer while wearing a Tyvek suit to get the majority of the truck. I used just under a whole gallon for my LX450, and the overspray will smoke and stink as it burns off the exhaust.
I follow up with a spray can with an extension nozzle to get into the nooks and crannies that I missed like inside body panels and things.
Lately I've been thinking of just paying someone to deal with it, but apparently I'm getting old and cranky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom