80 advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Edit below. Looked at too many cars this morning. The 80 below was 200k miles not 75k.

So I think I want to get a dedicated trail rig based on an 80. On one hand, I think buying one already built might be the best value. I found on in TX somewhat
built with new wheels and tires for $13K but needs lockers and skids. 300k miles. Hard for me to justify much more for something that will be a dedicated toy and I know it will end up being a money pit as I won’t be able to stop myself from mods, like adding lockers and I’ll end up being 20K or more into it.

Or I found another 1994 closer with only 200k for $5400. Stock and beat up but runs. I’ll end up putting $10k into it and the time doing it.

My thought is that a $5400 80 with 200k miles is probably a decent deal for a platform to build a trail rig. Not sure I’m ready to pull that trigger yet though.

If it realistic thinking I’m going to find a built locked, lifted 80 trail rig under 10-15k?

Thoughts?

Depends on what you want to do…build one up a bit or buy already/close to complete…if you’re patient you may be able to find 3xL in that range but more than likely low-mid twenties. I’m still on disbelief on these prices…we bought our sons fzj80 in 2018 for $3k. Can’t go wrong with the 80! Probably the best all around off-road vehicle ever made.

CA: 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 Triple Locked - cars & trucks - by... - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/redwood-city-1994-toyota-land-cruiser/7531428594.html

AZ:

KS:

Or maybe:

Not an 80 but instant trail rig that would be a whole different experience than wheeling the 200’ for sure. I’m all over the place here…
3.0 are known for head gaskets blowing, but this says this has already been done. It'd probably run down the highway just fine, but if you're going that route, you might as well factor in the cost of a trailer and place to store it if you don't have one. You're going to miss the creature comforts of the 200 driving to/from events and you get something built like that you're going to want to play a lot harder, leading to the need for the trailer. Plus 5" lift leafs, 35's and hydro assist are not going to be the most comfortable and stable on the highway.

As @tornadoalleycruiser once told me, it's a slippery slope...

I am a big believer in the 80 as one of the best offroad vehicles ever made.... only thing it is short on is power.... and is something you can daily drive.

I love my crawler as well; however, the 80 can drive you there, wheel hard, and drive you home.

3.0 are known for head gaskets blowing, but this says this has already been done. It'd probably run down the highway just fine, but if you're going that route, you might as well factor in the cost of a trailer and place to store it if you don't have one. You're going to miss the creature comforts of the 200 driving to/from events and you get something built like that you're going to want to play a lot harder, leading to the need for the trailer. Plus 5" lift leafs, 35's and hydro assist are not going to be the most comfortable and stable on the highway.

As @tornadoalleycruiser once told me, it's a slippery slope...
I would trailer something like this with my 200. It’s not one or the other, it’s both.

LS and an 80 would be a perfect combo.. ..

I have a 94 pickup that's also solid axle swapped. It's tons of fun to wheel, but must be trailered to events. Because of the extra work involved, I've only been able to take it out a couple of times.

I have a 94 pickup that's also solid axle swapped. It's tons of fun to wheel, but must be trailered to events. Because of the extra work involved, I've only been able to take it out a couple of times.
You hit the mail on the head here which is the what you want to do It’s the reality of what your life has to balance. My current reality is that I’d only use a trailer, dedicated trail rig twice a year ( Kessler and Tuttle). When I retire, that could change.

While I still like thinking about a possible 80 trail rig, getting $20k into that for how I’d use it doesn’t make sense to me at this point compared to something like the forerunner above for what is do with it.

For now, I’m going to focus on building out the 200. Have 4.88s, lockers and a 24 gal aux tank qued up for this winter’s projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom