What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tackled the front grill. Bathtubs are great for cleaning things. Just clean the bathtub when your done, your roommates will thank you.

Not sure I liked silver at first but after throwing some "eyeliner" on the inside of the headlight buckets I think it added the contrast the front was missing.

Pulled the vinyl off the door cards and traced them to cut new boards. Next week will do some fabric shopping and maybe start pulling the dash to prep for recovering.

View attachment 3116501View attachment 3116502View attachment 3116503View attachment 3116504
That looks great. Nice job!

I just was working on something cool, and I'll show ya'll that after I get her running again. But first, question. I put the 12v positive wire on the negative/signal side of the coil and tried to start it. After I realized my mistake, I'm getting nothing as far as spark. I fried that Pertronix 1662LS didn't I?

I just was working on something cool, and I'll show ya'll that after I get her running again. But first, question. I put the 12v positive wire on the negative/signal side of the coil and tried to start it. After I realized my mistake, I'm getting nothing as far as spark. I fried that Pertronix 1662LS didn't I?
It's worth giving Pertronix a call for troubleshooting advice.

Grandma drove over the mountains for a visit and said she’d watch the kids for the evening. OFY! Get in quick before she changes her mind! Dinner and a couple tall frosty beverages at the local bar. We even got to sit in the bar! And the Huskies are winning to boot!
789F79E8-06DC-4612-98BF-D87811F06D88.jpeg

Got some paint on and the floor lined. Will paint the exterior in a couple days.

20220914_111238.jpg

20220917_201046.jpg

Got some paint on and the floor lined. Will paint the exterior in a couple days.

View attachment 3117757

View attachment 3117758
It could be worse... my PO had covered the rear tub in fiberglass without trying to do anything to control the rust. The thin layer of fiberglass did nothing but trap the water. When the garbage truck came by I folded the floor up by hand to fit it into the rear hopper. There was no point in trying to recycle it... there wasn't enough metal there to recycle. :D

One of my college professors said PHD was an acronym for Pilled Higher & Deeper. Unfortunately too many POs have applied a PHD approach to Bondo work... I hate it.

It could be worse... my PO had covered the rear tub in fiberglass without trying to do anything to control the rust. The thin layer of fiberglass did nothing but trap the water. When the garbage truck came by I folded the floor up by hand to fit it into the rear hopper. There was no point in trying to recycle it... there wasn't enough metal there to recycle. :D

One of my college professors said PHD was an acronym for Pilled Higher & Deeper. Unfortunately too many POs have applied a PHD approach to Bondo work... I hate it.
Bondo, or much better fillers out there, are a necessary evil. Unless you have a set of pneumatic planishing hammers. But there are still areas where you can't back up with a dolly. I hammer and dolly as close to straight as I am able. Sometimes I get it close enough that primer surfacer will level it. I've spent 6 months unfking PO stuff on my project.

Just one example.

20220705_140936.jpg

20220706_172630.jpg

Bondo, or much better fillers out there, are a necessary evil. Unless you have a set of pneumatic planishing hammers. But there are still areas where you can't back up with a dolly. I hammer and dolly as close to straight as I am able. Sometimes I get it close enough that primer surfacer will level it. I've spent 6 months unfking PO stuff on my project.

Just one example.

View attachment 3118318

View attachment 3118319
I agree that filler has a useful purpose. Using a skim of filler has a time and a place... what I hate is when it is easiest to measure its thickness with a yardstick. I prefer to use as little as possible... if any at all.

It's worth giving Pertronix a call for troubleshooting advice.
Excellent advise, and I called, but it was Saturday and they were closed unfortunately. SO, guess what fixed my issue??? This forum of course! :). My distributor is a mighty 19100-61180 that I got from Mark at Mark's Offroad, with the Pertronix pre-installed. And thankfully I did not fry the Pertronix. I started researching for a possible cause to the problem, and ran across some great tech from @ToyotaMatt. In his post he was frustrated with the 2nd wire on the 19100-61180 because the connector was NLA from Toyota. He went on to say that his Pertronix would not work until he connected that 2nd wire to ground. Worth a shot. I didn't have that wire with NLA connector, so I grabbed some 18 gauge black that I had, and used 2 solder-and-seal ring terminals on either end. I attached one end to the screw on the side of the distributor, and then grounded it on a fender bolt. My 2F roared to life again!!! And 2 other side effects, it starts quicker and the idle is smoother; there was always a small little burble, for lack of a better word, in my idle that is gone now. So the million dollar question is: WHY did the 19100-61180 work so well for a year and a half without that extra ground??? No telling, but if you have one, it might be worth running one little wire to see if it improves your life. Hope that helps someone! Have a great day!

Now that the distributor issue is tackled and I'm back to running, I can show ya'll the fun stuff I've been working on! @Toyrod sold me a beautiful original air cleaner housing assembly, a 17700-61022, complete with super survivor sticker! Then I bought all the bling, with a new stud and gasket from @ToyotaMatt. Enough talk, here it is!
AirCleanerInstalled.jpg

The different color vaccum plugs were all I had, I'll clean that up later. This replaced a 6 inch round Mr. Gasket generic thing, so much better! And now I am finally able to run a hose from the valve cover to the intake for the first time, smells better! Then, I had to overcome a difficult decision ... Cruiser Problems :cool:

FilterOptions.jpg

So now, all I need is some brackets and the hose and SS clamp from City Racer. Here's everything I'll have to run down:

79AirCleanerBracketEdit.jpeg

That Bracket and then these things:

1663612659745.png

If anyone has that to part with, just hit me up. :) It's gettin' better all the time!! 🖖

Fiberglass is for boat repairs and corvettes.

Now that the distributor issue is tackled and I'm back to running, I can show ya'll the fun stuff I've been working on! @Toyrod sold me a beautiful original air cleaner housing assembly, a 17700-61022, complete with super survivor sticker! Then I bought all the bling, with a new stud and gasket from @ToyotaMatt. Enough talk, here it is!
View attachment 3118764

The different color vaccum plugs were all I had, I'll clean that up later. This replaced a 6 inch round Mr. Gasket generic thing, so much better! And now I am finally able to run a hose from the valve cover to the intake for the first time, smells better! Then, I had to overcome a difficult decision ... Cruiser Problems :cool:

View attachment 3118765

So now, all I need is some brackets and the hose and SS clamp from City Racer. Here's everything I'll have to run down:

View attachment 3118769

That Bracket and then these things:

View attachment 3118774

If anyone has that to part with, just hit me up. :) It's gettin' better all the time!! 🖖
Are you looking for part 17765, the stay for the air horn hose? If so a guy on Facebook had it, I think. If so let me know and I'll see if I can track down the post.

Are you looking for part 17765, the stay for the air horn hose? If so a guy on Facebook had it, I think. If so let me know and I'll see if I can track down the post.
Yes sir, from the Parts Microfiche scans, the call out number is 17765 and the part number is 17754-61010. It is the Z shaped bracket, but also is supposed to include the round hose clamp that bolts to the bracket. I haven't gotten a chance to really start searching yet, as I just got the air cleaner, but in my early searches it seems like this is getting hard to find, at least with the clamp.
1663679893695.png

The other part to that, the Inlet, is part number 17751-61021 I believe (the microfiche is hard to read right there). It changed shape in '80 so I want to get the right one for '78. This should be it:
1663679867949.png

And the bracket on the left side of the air cleaner 17700-61022 unfortunately doesn't have a separate part number that I can find, it was just included with that part I suppose. Anyway, sorry if this is a thread hijack, but hey, maybe in a few weeks I can show pictures of these cool old parts bolted to my rig :) Thanks! Have a great day!

Yes sir, from the Parts Microfiche scans, the call out number is 17765 and the part number is 17754-61010. It is the Z shaped bracket, but also is supposed to include the round hose clamp that bolts to the bracket. I haven't gotten a chance to really start searching yet, as I just got the air cleaner, but in my early searches it seems like this is getting hard to find, at least with the clamp.
View attachment 3119299
The other part to that, the Inlet, is part number 17751-61021 I believe (the microfiche is hard to read right there). It changed shape in '80 so I want to get the right one for '78. This should be it:
View attachment 3119298
And the bracket on the left side of the air cleaner 17700-61022 unfortunately doesn't have a separate part number that I can find, it was just included with that part I suppose. Anyway, sorry if this is a thread hijack, but hey, maybe in a few weeks I can show pictures of these cool old parts bolted to my rig :) Thanks! Have a great day!
I reached out to the guy on facebook to see if he still has 17765. In his pic he doesn't show the clamp but I will ask.

Just one example.

View attachment 3118318

View attachment 3118319

Man this is painfully familiar...

01 Trans Tunnel Start.JPG

04 - Trans Tunnel - Welding Complete.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

View attachment 3119299
View attachment 3119298
PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom