86 2F in to a 78 40 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Possibly going to pickup a 2f from a 60 series with a fresh rebuild on it, 10k miles+/- on the rebuild. Any issues transplanting it in to my 78 40 series? Not sure if the 86 has an oil cooler and my 78 does not. Even though it’s quite the drive I’m considering it since the time money and effort tracking down the parts to rebuild mine seems like a pain. Thanks for any input.

I put an 87 2F in mine. Kept the oil cooler on JimC’s recommendation. Blocks are the same, just move over assessories. Easy and good swap. I put the coil where my 1974 coil was. The alternator switched sides and the voltage regulator went away. Coolerman built me a plug and play harness for that. The pax side FJ60 mount won’t work. Just use the 40 one as mentioned above.

Last edited:
I was hoping for higher compression numbers on this engine. He did mention that was on a cold engine but considering how far I have to drive I think I should pass.
Compression figures are as follows:

Cyl. Psi.

1 120

2 110

3 110

4 120

5 120

6 120

There does seem to be some internal noise when running, characteristic of a worn skirt or wrist pin on a piston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom