What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (52 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the fuel pump....lasted about 285k miles so no complaints. I started hearing the pump about a month ago, but I attributed the fact that I could hear it to many many miles on washboard dirt roads here in Wyoming...thought perhaps some insulators had vibrated out or degraded. About 3 weeks later, moved the truck out of the driveway and parked it. Went to move it back a few hours later and the truck would crank but not run. EFI fuse was clicking on/off. No codes. Surmised it was likely the fuel pump. Pulled the second row seats, pulled back the carpet to expose the fuel pump access door, and replaced the pump, filter, and gasket. Re-sealed unit in tank....truck started right up. Awesome You-tube instructions. Took me about 1.5 hours going slowly and checking my work against the You-tube video.

2022-09-15 16.20.41.jpg

I figured I would at least give it a shot before pulling the LBJ. It wasn't real easy but now I've got the hang of it. I did need an extra set of hands to hold the knuckle up for reinstallation, if I was on my own I would have removed the knuckle for sure. Glad that it's behind me and I've earned the knowledge.
First one took me half a day and my 19 year old son to help me get the LBJ nut started. 2nd time, I was alone and stood the knuckle on a small floor jack to roll it in place and lift it on to the lower joint. Took me 1.5 hrs to do the whole job!

Well my cup holder from CruiserDM came in the mail today and I started off pulling the console apart to install it and before I knew it both front seats were removed and I was laying down a layer of Kilmat. It's funny how these things happen. But I did eventually get the cup holder in too and they are quite nice, definitely recommend. However, be forewarned it took me like 5 hours to install it (that includes the time I spent removing the two front seats).
PXL_20220916_222238949.jpg
PXL_20220917_010202608.jpg

Big maintenance week this week. New steering rack, front diff bushings, brakes all around.
And finally swapped out the LX VGRS steering shaft for the solid LC version. No more crooked steering wheel, woohoo! This was by far the cheaper route compared to trying to fix it with a new VGRS ECU, and I'm happy to have the failure point gone forever...just like the AHC is gone.
The steering does feel different without the VGRS. Definitely more effort turning the wheel at lower speeds.

Big maintenance week this week. New steering rack, front diff bushings, brakes all around.
And finally swapped out the LX VGRS steering shaft for the solid LC version. No more crooked steering wheel, woohoo! This was by far the cheaper route compared to trying to fix it with a new VGRS ECU, and I'm happy to have the failure point gone forever...just like the AHC is gone.
The steering does feel different without the VGRS. Definitely more effort turning the wheel at lower speeds.
Care to elaborate on the issue you had with VGRS?

I put had Bilstein 4600s put on my 2001 TLC today. I really like the feel. While the mechanic was under there, he found out that I had lost a bolt on my rack and pinion and that the other three bolts were only hand tight. He tightened up the three and I drove it to Ace Hardware where I got an automotive-grade bolt to fix it. Front end is tighter and the shocks feel great. One step at a time in reviving this old Land Cruiser. Me and my boys are having a good time though.

as part of the timing belt job, and in preperation for an active stereo system, i installed two type 94 agm batteries under the hood of my lx470. i modified the ahc pump bracket and turned a little "pillar" out of an upper control arm bolt to help support the battery tray i made from the case of an old dell computer. currently, the ps reservoir is zip tied to the a bracket bolted to the battery tray. i will likely mod the ps bracket and bolt it to my setup rather than relocating the reservoir as some have done. the batteries are wired in parallel. wiring is 0 gauge. a alternator distribution block sends a fused charging wire to each battery. the + parallel connection is fused on either end. each battery is separately grounded to the frame, the engine, and the alternator housing.
20220824_231042.jpg

20220824_231051.jpg

20220825_002546.jpg

20220825_002620.jpg

Care to elaborate on the issue you had with VGRS?
It's been broken since I bought the truck about 2 years ago. The steering wheel was turned about 60 degrees counterclockwise. It was likely a bad VGRS ECU, but could have been the intermediate shaft as well. I tried all of the recalibrations through techstream but was getting faults in the system, so it wasn't a simple issue of the system needing a reset after a battery change or something like that. The general consensus is that the ECU usually goes bad, although there was a report of someone with a bad shaft that was repaired. Either way, wasn't worth the hassle or money required for me to fix, so I just got rid of it.

I really love a well wired engine bay...
*looks at mine... cries*

Big day today.
Tidied up the battery terminals. I got sick of all the wires hanging off the posts, so put in a busbar block, and one of those audio terminal blocks on the earth. Still want to tidy up the positive side but cant work out how to yet. And the damn earth is loose and I need some shims.

Fitted up my new antenna for the cb radio. Now it acts like an early warning as well for low carparks.

Installed my new winch. Went it way easier than expected, far less swearing than I anticipated. Not fully happy with how the power is run, but need to tidy up the excess cables later.

And fitted my Crashpad wheel bag, gor next weekends camping trip.

20220917_173349.jpg

Interior LED bar for exterior bright light tailgaters or closing farm gate.

12FE34FC-B138-48FF-87E2-5306C5CEEDCA.jpeg

ED06779F-4573-40B8-AED9-F49001FA0E94.jpeg

20E47308-D653-4A78-B317-B1D07D2B8923.jpeg

Last edited:
Since Ironman still had 25% laborday coupon. I decided to get their drawer system with wings. Installed it last night. Removed the third row seats and brackets, ran to lowes for longer bolts to bolt into oem floor bracket holes. Some adjustments, trial and error and it's in. Overall happy how it came out. Losing the third row seating is a litte down side, but gaining a lot of storage is huge.

20220916_212358.jpg

20220917_094928.jpg

20220917_104631.jpg

20220917_104650.jpg

20220917_104705.jpg

Since Ironman still had 25% laborday coupon. I decided to get their drawer system with wings. Installed it last night. Removed the third row seats and brackets, ran to lowes for longer bolts to bolt into oem floor bracket holes. Some adjustments, trial and error and it's in. Overall happy how it came out. Losing the third row seating is a litte down side, but gaining a lot of storage is huge.

View attachment 3117342

View attachment 3117343

View attachment 3117344

View attachment 3117345

View attachment 3117351
***Drool*** this is awesome!

Last edited:
Finished the latest monthly installment from the dealer. Also added Rad Rubber after the fluid film treatment. These are no joke and worth the monies. Also, installed a new battery (again) and oddly new EFI relay that did not work. Plug in old one runs like a champ. The new one is just the starter spinning to oblivion. Can you tell if the radiator was leaking because all I ever had was a couple of drips when I shut it down?

IMG_E0840[1].JPG

IMG_0869[1].JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom