What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent!

Have you cleaned the evaporator yet?

I bought foaming coil cleaner and drilled a small hole near the top of the plastic box. I was able to spray it in and soak it, then I removed the blower motor and laid towels on the carpet.

I got my hand in the box with some contortionist moves and was able to grab handfuls of dirt out of it.

I just kept running water over it til nothing else came out. I strongly recommend it. The ac works far better now.

5FC9AD44-160B-4A96-8072-32A215B9E052.jpeg

990E1F0F-A222-44D2-B59B-0D2743A00772.jpeg

18316D17-2FCC-4325-B8EF-840E9A21DD55.jpeg

4E88488F-BC37-4A8E-811C-1FF5FD061C9F.jpeg

Excellent!

I bought foaming coil cleaner and drilled a small hole near the top of the plastic box. I was able to spray it in and soak it, then I removed the blower motor and laid towels on the carpet.

I got my hand in the box with some contortionist moves and was able to grab handfuls of dirt out of it.

I just kept running water over it til nothing else came out. I strongly recommend it. The ac works far better now.

View attachment 3115117

View attachment 3115118

View attachment 3115119

View attachment 3115120
I have not. I actually planed to have another evaporator core cleaned by a HVAC guy my boss knows, then swap it in later.
We’ll see. Your method definitely seems easier.
I’m sure there’s gunk in my box because this is the second time I’ve cleared the drain.

Just get the hose up in there and spray til it’s clean. You could even avoid the cleanser if you used the hose.

I wasn’t afraid to get my carpet wet, and it was worth it.

It was a notable change in temperature and flow. I was getting vent temps that were exactly what the system is capable of under the best circumstances.

i have FJ62 / FJ80 / FZJ80 Front Windshield Wiper Washer Pump Motor all inclusive Repair Kits going on now ....

Genuine NipponDenso JAPAN parts .........

DSCN9790.png

DSCN9793 - Copy.png

Matt, anything in the 24volt flavour ?

For your 1983 BJ60 in your signature line ? :)

- i have the REAR WASHER Bladder Bag Fluid pump motor ONLY in 24V

- i have a Complete REAR WASHER Bladder Bag KIT includes pump motor in 24V

- i have the FRONT Engine Bay Windshield WASHER pump motor ONLY in 24V

- i have a Complete FRONT Engine Bay Windshield WASHER bottle kit includes pump motor in 24V

- ALL parts are Genuine NipponDenso and or ASMO JAPAN made .......

- FYI :
ASMO is owned by NipponDenso JAPAN ... :idea:

- if the Example Images in the LINKs below show a 12v pump motor , simply make sure you specify in your check out notes
24V and you will receive that option

- or

- just PM me here on MUD and make me aware also is a good idea too please ,

thanks

kindly , matt

- here are some links to explore :

1663237894564.png

Last edited:
Matt, anything in the 24volt flavour ?

- both my KUSTOM KOITo LED Room Lamp and Cargo Light cover 12V and 24V Ranges.....

1663239022079.png

1663239038424.png

1663239058612.png

1663239077115.png

- both my KUSTOM KOITo LED Room Lamp and Cargo Light cover 12V and 24V Ranges.....

Might have to snag these for mine. My rear one hasn't worked since purchase but the front is alright, albeit dim. You don't happen to have the door switch that triggers the front center light do you? Mine finally failed.

@Hokie LX @HemiAlex
Forgive me, I believe you are both right.
I just did what was suggested and ran a piece of wire through the drain and a decent amount of water poured out.

To follow up...if you ran a wire through it from the outside, it may still be worth taking off the hose from the inside of the box as well as the fan on the bottom of the box and cleaning it as it may have just temporarily pushed the blockage into the condenser box. As @HemiAlex suggested, removing the fan and cleaning out that box would be the best preventative step to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Excellent!

View attachment 3115118

View attachment 3115120

Here's how my evaporator looked before the cleaning:
Really restricted air flow

pics 542.jpg

And after:
pics 541.jpg
pics 489.jpg

The air flow probably doubled after cleaning with the evaporator cleaning foam and hose down.

custom/diy headliner installed.

Man, I’ve been thinking about doing almost exactly that for a couple years - some kind of Pendleton fabric. Did you remove all the windows and tuck the headliner in or glue it right up against the weatherstrip?

Man, I’ve been thinking about doing almost exactly that for a couple years - some kind of Pendleton fabric. Did you remove all the windows and tuck the headliner in or glue it right up against the weatherstrip?

How the heck did you accomplish that install? It’s not like you could turn it upside down, like a 40. Beautiful.

I wrote up the details there. But to hit your specific questions:

Windows were left in place. I taped off the window trim/weatherstrip, used glue Right at the trim and then tucked the fabric under the trim with a plastic putty knife (much worn, very rounded corners). Used a couple different plastic trim removal tools to help pull the rubber trim down so I could get the fabric/putty knife in there. Fabric cut close and then the cut edge pushed under the trim... it's doubled-up, but you'd be hard pressed to tell (and might give me the option of reusing the fabric if the windows ever come out). We wanted to use Pendleton too, but that's a heck of a buy (4 yards of 60" width ~ I think we were seeing about $500), so we opted for a non-branded wool blend, it was ~$110 (on Esty, SW fabric) and another $100 for the 3m insulation under it.

And I did it like the 2 videos I watched (one was the Japanese restoration posted in this very thread, about 3 pages back for the headliner). The only difference being I left the windows in place. It's actually surprisingly easy to do, went WAY faster than I had anticipated (sewing was about 7 hours, many mistakes made that added time, and install was maybe 8 hours over 2 days), much less headache than expected. Combine slightly stretchy fabric, glue that you can (sorta) reposition to get a good pull without wrinkles and some patience. But thanks! It's something my wife wanted, and I wanted to do it to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Created a build thread. Hopefully can be updating it as it progresses while I'm deployed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom