One of the nicest 60 series I have ever seen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never really understood what one would do with a $100K + 60 series? Sit in your garage looking at it as you pat yourself on the back for having the sort of buying power that allows you to own something like this? Great job. You can spend money.

I agree its a beautiful build, but building them up like this makes them pretty unusable to me. Kinda ruins them in a way. Knowing what mine is capable of, I would feel pretty ripped off at that sort of price, especially with an automatic, and would be worried about even starting it up much less doing anything useful with it. $100K + tractor. That kind of scratch could get you a really nice SuperDuty you could actually do stuff with. One of the things I like about mine is that I DIDN'T spend $100K + on it (at least not yet) and yet its still a respectable example IMHO.

All that said, if I had the money to burn, I wouldn't mind it in my garage.

Last edited:
I love reading some of the comments. Just because most of us would not spend $100K on a truck does not mean that is a bad thing. It really all depends on perspective. $100K for a vintage Toyota to some folks is a drop in the bucket. So what if they do not want to take them off road, I'd much rather see one of these than a 60 with cut out fenders and beat to hell from trying to make it into a rock crawler. See, that is called OPINION :)

Hahah yeah, you’re right.

I Googled it and I had it exactly wrong.

I love reading some of the comments. Just because most of us would not spend $100K on a truck does not mean that is a bad thing. It really all depends on perspective. $100K for a vintage Toyota to some folks is a drop in the bucket. So what if they do not want to take them off road, I'd much rather see one of these than a 60 with cut out fenders and beat to hell from trying to make it into a rock crawler. See, that is called OPINION

I think the $130k part opens this up to a lot of scrutiny. Even if you have that kind of money, it’s almost like “really, you paid how much for that?!”

There are folks who have super clean 60s on this forum that cost much less than that.

I guess it’s hard to wrap my head around how the high roof, custom paint job, and downgraded transmission add 80k to the rig’s value.

I would love to own that thing, though…

Last edited:
If you are looking for $130k+ worth of parts, labor and craftsmanship, you're not going to find it. The value on a truck like this is completely subjective and like @NCFJ said is a drop in the bucket for most of these buyers. It's not all that different than a $25k 60 series today that would have gone for maybe $5k in 2015. With $25k we could all find a more reliable, fuel efficient, and probably more comfortable vehicle that would last us a lifetime, but why would we do that when we can drive a vintage Landcruiser? These trucks are all worth what someone is willing to pay, and that number is continuing to climb, which if you ask me is pretty sweet! I like to keep an eye on BaT because it gives me a good idea of where the market is at, and further justifies my tinkering with and driving around a nearly 40 year old Toyota.

Speaking of which, there are two new listings that should pique the interest of the ih8mud folks. Which would you choose?

1985 FJ60 with 78k miles: 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-119/

1985 HJ60 high roof, diesel (@gimme a 60 this one is for you), 5 speed: 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60 High Roof - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-toyota-land-cruiser-hj60-7/

1663344971220.png

1663344875913.png

Lol.. there are some haters up in this thread.

That's a beautiful truck and as others have said, I'd way rather see it in this state than chopped up, abused, and left in a wrecking yard. Also, just because you own a 60 series doesn't mean you HAVE to take it off road.. And anyways, who's to say the buyer isn't going to use it for that purpose?

I would definitely not drive that. I would store it and keep it as an investment. But I agree with the fact that it’s too good to drive, and kind of becomes useless.

I wouldn’t mind a clean rust free 60 series with some scratches and door dings. That way I feel like I could daily drive it comfortably and not feel like I’m ruining something immaculate.

But, I’m not really one to trash a 60 anyways.

Like @NCFJ says.... ALL OPINIONS

I have 2 in my customs shop right now. One is a diesel conversion, custom paint (40K) and frame off, every nut and bolt is new and the owner has been offered 175K for it and I have had offers up to 205K for my UTE build and its not even finished. Mind you the UTE is a true one off custom that more than likely will never be duplicated. I told the last person I would not sell for that, but would build them one for that price. Their response was... "But yours is almost done" and that tells me it is a person that wants instant gratification and bragging rights to friends and family. Most that leave my customs shop insure for 60-100K when complete.

The buyers of rigs like these will never use them and more than likely never understand the ins and outs of the build. Possibly will add them to a personal or corporate collection or donate them to an auto museum for tax right off purposes.

Just my .02 and to each their own.

Jason
TT

Last edited:
Like @NCFJ says.... ALL OPINIONS

I have 2 in my customs shop right now. One is a diesel conversion, custom paint (40K) and frame off, every not and bolt is new and the owner has been offered 175K for it and I have had offers up to 205K for my UTE build and its not even finished. Mind you the UTE is a true one off custom that more than likely will never be duplicated. I told the last person I would not sell for that, but would build them one for that price. Their response was... "But yours is almost done" and that tells me it is a person that wants instant gratification and bragging rights to friends and family. Most that leave my customs shop insure for 60-100K when complete.

The buyers of rigs like these will never use them and more than likely never understand the ins and outs of the build. Possibly will add them to a personal or corporate collection or donate them to an auto museum for tax right off purposes.

Just my .02 and to each their own.

Jason
TT

And honestly, the build is the most fun part about these rigs too. I’m only 16, and I love mine and I’m learning to work on it and it’s great. Every day I learn and tinker more, and I’m currently swapping a diesel into mine, the sense of accomplishment is amazing…..I think my Land Cruiser is teaching me more than school does sometimes.

So what if they do not want to take them off road, I'd much rather see one of these than a 60 with cut out fenders and beat to hell from trying to make it into a rock crawler.
I wouldn’t mind a clean rust free 60 series with some scratches and door dings. That way I feel like I could daily drive it comfortably and not feel like I’m ruining something immaculate.

Yeah totally with you here. If you HAD to do something with one in terms of build, would much rather see it go the direction of this build than cutting it up into a rock crawler. Wouldn't diminish the work that must have gone into getting it to this condition. Bottom line its a cruiser saved so that's always good news. I would just be afraid of doing anything with it if I owned it as to move it into the useless category for me. But that's just me.

Reality is if I had the money to spend on this sort of truck, I likely wouldn't be as worried about it getting messed up or whatever. Truth be told I am jealous I cannot afford something like this. I would prolly be singing a different tune here if I could. Still amazed at how these trucks moved from utilitarian tools to Mecum collectibles. I don't know, just sort of seems counter to the whole idea of them originally.

Its a great truck. The photo of it almost makes it look like a die cast toy or something. Someone buy it so I don't continually have to have it stare back at me as a constant reminder of my own inadequacies and diminished buying power.

Last edited:
And honestly, the build is the most fun part about these rigs too. I’m only 16, and I love mine and I’m learning to work on it and it’s great. Every day I learn and tinker more, and I’m currently swapping a diesel into mine, the sense of accomplishment is amazing…..I think my Land Cruiser is teaching me more than school does sometimes.

Read this:

...Speaking of which, there are two new listings that should pique the interest of the ih8mud folks. Which would you choose?

1985 FJ60 with 78k miles: 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-119/
I'd take the white 60. There was a tan 60, no rust in excellent (claimed to be and appeared that way) unmodified condition with tons of new OEM parts FS on Bend Craigslist for $12K not too long ago. It was gone in 24 hrs, not surprisingly.

Read this:

Good read. I like the part where it take about being organized for sanity…. In my garage…. It’s clean because if it’s not, I actually go crazy.

I will never forget the time when my shop teacher looked me dead in the eyes, and said. “Get your sh*t together” I have never forgotten that or had a really unorganized work space after that.

Similar to Stan - threads specifically like this one make me laugh but also leave me slightly confused.

Laughter - because it's friggin hilarious to read the different and often polar POVs from owners/builders.

Confused - to each his/her own, live and let live, and different strokes for different folks, right? Not so much in the IH8MUD community. Why would you bash a guy because he can afford a build/truck north of 100K, especially from the guys that drive banged-up, rusted POS rigs with interiors that look like they came straight from the sandbox? Personally, I don't really care the value of your rig. I'm always excited just to see/talk to another LC owner and think the only thing that matters is if the owner loves the rig. Does it matter if he wheels/off-roads, asphalt commutes or keeps the rig in a climate controlled garage 360 days a year? And I envy the guys with the sandbox rigs for what should be obvious reasons.

And the irony. . .the haters living in glass houses. At least in my experience, those are usually the guys with the darkest s*** they hope will never be brought to light. But, again, I don't really care. . .if you j/o to pictures of dead people, goats, or two monkeys DP'ing a football. . .as long as you're not outside of my window doing whatever it is you do.

Now on to the next subject. . .microdosing and how it protects you from the damage already sustained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom