Do TRD OR Wheels fit on stock gx460? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

17s hands down. Generally; smaller wheel + more sidewall = better off road. Bigger wheel + less sidewall = better for pavement pounding.

Whatever you do, don't buy e-rated tires unless you want it to ride like s***.

Reactions: r2m
Anyone tried a 16" wheel?
Something like this might be possible

toyota-4-runner-clean-lowrider-4runner-cars-Sxkd.jpg

Check out the flex with the 14s? 😂

Question: why want to run 16's? Those tire sizes are becoming less popular in the off road community. There are way more options and cheaper n 17's.

Question: why want to run 16's? Those tire sizes are becoming less popular in the off road community. There are way more options and cheaper n 17's.
More sidewall! True that newer cars, including Land Cruisers have moved to larger OEM wheels, but that's not for off road reasons, it's to fit larger calipers. Up until '92 15” rims were standard. 16" on the 100 series, and now 17" on 200/GX. Tire manufacturers just responding to what car makers spec. I ran 295/75/16 on both my 100 series, and they were a great size tire, on, and off road.

More sidewall! True that newer cars, including Land Cruisers have moved to larger OEM wheels, but that's not for off road reasons, it's to fit larger calipers. Up until '92 15” rims were standard. 16" on the 100 series, and now 17" on 200/GX. Tire manufacturers just responding to what car makers spec. I ran 295/75/16 on both my 100 series, and they were a great size tire, on, and off road.
Yep, I remember the day's when 15's were king! Now it's not uncommon to even see 20 inchers! o_O
Ha-ha! 20" rims with mud terrains and a 3" sidewall!! :rofl:
But you're absolutely right, and I think I mentioned it on one of these threads that the whole reason for larger wheels is larger calibers. Which is not a bad thing, in itself.

Yep, I remember the day's when 15's were king! Now it's not uncommon to even see 20 inchers! o_O
Ha-ha! 20" rims with mud terrains and a 3" sidewall!! :rofl:
But you're absolutely right, and I think I mentioned it on one of these threads that the whole reason for larger wheels is larger calibers. Which is not a bad thing, in itself.
We call trucks with 20” wheels & MTs “bro dozers”

Its been interesting to see tire availability of first 15" and now it seems 16" sizes decreasing. A lot of new tire releases (Toyo AT3 as an example) are not including the 'classic' sizes like 33x12.5R15 or 35x12.5R15.

So the above pic and this wheel are both TRD Pro wheels?

View attachment 3116321
Yes, the wheels with the red ring in the center cap are the newer model 4Runner TRD Pro wheels. Not sure when they came out. 2020ish maybe. Prior to that, the picture you shared is of the old 4Runner TRD Pro wheels. They were referred to as SEMA wheels when they first came out. 2015 maybe?

same specs - 17x7 +4mm

Last edited:
Its been interesting to see tire availability of first 15" and now it seems 16" sizes decreasing. A lot of new tire releases (Toyo AT3 as an example) are not including the 'classic' sizes like 33x12.5R15 or 35x12.5R15.
Probably because metric tires make more sense on metric vehicles. Not even crappy american companies build vehicles using inches and feet anymore.

And basically, the sizes still exist in metric. A 35" tire is never actually 35" anyway. Both my GX's Wildpeaks and X-ATs on the Tundra are metric, but also say "32x10.5" and "35x11" on them for Southerners to understand.

Probably because metric tires make more sense on metric vehicles. Not even crappy american companies build vehicles using inches and feet anymore.

And basically, the sizes still exist in metric. A 35" tire is never actually 35" anyway. Both my GX's Wildpeaks and X-ATs on the Tundra are metric, but also say "32x10.5" and "35x11" on them for Southerners to understand.
Metric sizing has been around since the 70s. However, only the first number is metric (mm). The second number is the multiplier for sidewall thickness. Third number (wheel diameter) is inches. Further, the load index corresponds to lbs and the speed rating corresponds to mph.

I use the same tire size converter quite often lol.

Metric sizing has been around since the 70s. However, only the first number is metric (mm). The second number is the multiplier for sidewall thickness. Third number (wheel diameter) is inches. Further, the load index corresponds to lbs and the speed rating corresponds to mph.
Well aware. They’re still commonly referred to as ‘metric’ tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom