72 FJ40 Chevota Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. You’re right, the break helped. Always come back!!

While installing my switches on the dash I got side tracked with my on board air. Found a 1 1/2 gal air tank that fits under the passenger seat.

FC28AE0E-58F2-48AF-A816-F32555240F5D.jpeg

Started laying out the location for everything. The plan is to use the GM Harrison AC compressor to fill the tank. With a regulator and valve to switch the air to the front air locker.

51CACA1B-590E-4123-ADCB-7134FF30592F.jpeg

1C8A0EB5-08E1-44C0-A424-9E127E3EF588.jpeg

Installed the regulator, pressure switch, and check valve panel.
IMG_9575.jpg

Routed and connected tubing to the front locker
IMG_9570.jpg

Installed the Locker Valve and pressure sensor.
IMG_9576.jpg

Finally finished my switch panel. Air system is installed, now I have to work on getting the compressor hooked up. Also discovered that my two speed fan has only one speed , high.

4E1A334A-4655-42F6-889F-1DD068FFA8A5.jpeg

B20066A9-E1D8-4A06-A093-2E3D511E8EAE.jpeg

Added a run time meter for engine hours. Also added five led indicators. Fuel pressure greater than 8 psi, air tank greater than 80 psi, airlocker pressure greater than 80 psi at the differential, low and high fan speed indicators.
That’s when I found out that my dual fan controller is not a dual temperature controller. Both high and low speed wires on my fan were coming on. Picked up a second fan controller. Now I have one for low speed temp and one for high speed at higher temperature.

D3A215D5-30E9-49B2-A265-B5EEE1A7EFAD.jpeg

While installing my switches on the dash I got side tracked with my on board air. Found a 1 1/2 gal air tank that fits under the passenger seat.

View attachment 3116136
Have you had a chance to use the air tank ? I’m hoping to install one this winter for my lockers and for tires if needed. Wondering on the size of the tank. Currently I boil the compressor if I need the locker, but a tank would nice so I just needed to hit one switch.

Have you had a chance to use the air tank ? I’m hoping to install one this winter for my lockers and for tires if needed. Wondering on the size of the tank. Currently I boil the compressor if I need the locker, but a tank would nice so I just needed to hit one switch.
Archie73, have tested the system filling the tank from garage air and all works. I have not connected the AC compressor yet. Been working on a rough idle problem right now. I want to measure how long it takes to drain the tank down to 80psi with the locker engaged to get an idea of how often the compressor will cycle. I'll post some numbers when I get them.

Update: With the font locker engaged, but not rolling, the tank lost 10 psi in an hour (135 to 125). Regulated pressure to the locker was 83 psi. Filling a 12 x 35 tire from 20 psi, drained the tank from 140 psi and only filled the tire to 25 psi. I'll need to wait and see what the recovery rate of my AC compressor will be. The tank is 1.5 gals.

Last edited:
Archie73, have tested the system filling the tank from garage air and all works. I have not connected the AC compressor yet. Been working on a rough idle problem right now. I want to measure how long it takes to drain the tank down to 80psi with the locker engaged to get an idea of how often the compressor will cycle. I'll post some numbers when I get them.

Update: With the font locker engaged, but not rolling, the tank lost 10 psi in an hour (135 to 125). Regulated pressure to the locker was 83 psi. Filling a 12 x 35 tire from 20 psi, drained the tank from 140 psi and only filled the tire to 25 psi. I'll need to wait and see what the recovery rate of my AC compressor will be. The tank is 1.5 gals.
Actually, that helps a lot. Thank you.
For the wheeling I do, it seems like I never really have the locker engaged for more than 10 mins on average. Approach rock or obstacle, engage locker, go over (or not) and disengage locker. I imagine snow or mud wheeling it’d be advantageous to leave it engaged. At any rate I’m looking more toward tires first and foremost. I suppose it’s be nice to just throw the switch for the locker and not have to start the compressor each time. Which makes me think I need a belt driven compressor more than a tank. Tank would be easier though. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom