Looking for battery recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JcrewLC

SILVER Star
Threads
Battery on the lx450 died. I’ve tried charging it with those home chargers but it doesn’t carry the charge after a day or 2. So it’s time to get one. The truck is rarely used. Mostly in the garage. It gets driven with low miles once a month or 2.

With that being said, what recommendation for a replacement battery can you offer? Thanks in advance

I’ve been using a group 27 X2 Power battery with good results for the starter battery. The last one lasted about 5 years.

I hear there are new lithium iron phosphate batteries that are capable of starting and can draw 90% of total capacity without damage. Good for multiple days of running a refrigerator or lights. They deal with heat much better than Lithium Ion batteries and don’t have thermal run away issues.

I currently using a none starting LiFePO4 battery for the house battery and really like it’s capacity. They are more expensive than a gel lead acid battery, but are more versatile.

While you’re in there, consider adding a
Land Cruiser Products additional hold down to add strength and solid hold for your battery. I use the LCP battery bracket with the stock bracket.

A7DCC617-0366-4F16-99E8-0FF574F57CAA.jpeg

871678FC-6053-4725-B84A-BE42FCA9715C.jpeg

CECF8FE6-DEFB-4F8B-90F6-21B0323CD75F.jpeg

Love batteries Plus's AGM's - they warrantied both my 31 and 27 after they were failing 20 months out ( Texas heat is brutal on batteries).

but a key question is use case - lot's of accessories or stock ? Winch, fridge etc - then for sure consider more then a discount battery....

E

Love batteries Plus's AGM's - they warrantied both my 31 and 27 after they were failing 20 months out ( Texas heat is brutal on batteries).

but a key question is use case - lot's of accessories or stock ? Winch, fridge etc - then for sure consider more then a discount battery....

E
Stock. The only issue will be rarely used vehicle

Here in southern Arizona batteries rarely last their rated life, so I prefer:
- good prorated warranty
- nationwide distribution network so you easily get it replaced anywhere

I have had good luck with the Interstate MegaTron Plus group 27

Interstate group 24F from Costco. Less than $100 and a phenomenal warranty. I killed my first 1 year old Costco Interstate battery after several deep cycles with my fridge and leaving the lights on during maintenance. It cost $4 to get a replacement. My house battery is an Interstate group 24 deep cycle from Costco.

Interstate from Costco group 24 or 27

So this vehicle will sit at a month or 2 at a time. Is AGM, deep cycle or regular Costco battery the best bet?

Are you able to run a battery tender to it when it’s not being used?

Are you able to run a battery tender to it when it’s not being used?
I can. Will it damage the battery? I’m open to getting a battery maintainer. My neighbor hasn’t run a maintener longer than 7 days. So not sure if it will be detrimental to the battery health.

For that long of down time you need a battery maintainer. Doesn’t matter what you put in it will be dead after sitting that long. Either that or install a disconnect and just turn it off when you park it.

If you aren’t running a bunch of things like a winch, fridge or other accessories stick with a starting battery over a deep cycle.

I run a Northstar battery and have been happy with it for the price.

Buy any one of the mid range batteries advised above. They aren't cheap anymore at about $150. Then spend another $50 and buy a trickle charger. Otherwise get in the habit of disconnecting the battery cable when not in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom