SOLD or Trade: Austin, TX: 1992 HZJ80 "Betty White" Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
White
Year: 1992
Model: HZJ80 Eurospec Imported from Belgium. Used as a NATO truck
Miles: 259k kilometers (161k miles)

Features:
  • Poverty pack model:
    • manual windows
    • manual door locks
    • barn doors
    • vinyl carpet, jute padding, and noise dampener on the floor.
    • no sunroof
    • Simplified gauge cluster
    • Cloth seats and no third row
  • Left-hand drive.
  • Factory 1HZ diesel engine
  • 1997 Factory Locked axles
  • Part-time 4-wheel drive with Aisin locking hubs.
  • Auxilliary factory fuel tank
  • 17” Toyota steelies” with 2-year-old Cooper tires
  • 10-footer paint job. Looks good, but is not perfect.
  • Factory part-time with full manual HF1A t case, H150 5-speed transmission,
  • Upgraded JW Speaker headlights. Best headlight upgrade out there.
  • Relatively new ARB winch bumper.
  • 8K Warn winch with synthetic rope and Albright style waterproof contactor
  • New Holset HX30w turbo. Installed at 247k kilometers. Boosts to 14.5 PSI.
  • Factory new 1HDT Boost compensator to help regulate fuel at boost.
  • New water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and seals installed at time of turbo upgrade.
  • New Big End Bearings were swapped in as part of the turbo install. Old bearings showed no sign of wear.
  • Recent radiator and hoses (whole cooling system refresh).
  • Giant touchscreen NAV/Radio running Android.
  • Dual batteries with charge controller.
  • Smittybilt aftermarket metal center console
  • New mats front/middle/cargo.
  • Front mount Intercooler.
  • Ice cold AC with new blower motor.
  • Fold down Front Runner table with Rig'd slide out.
  • Clear Texas title and current registration
Build thread: From Poverty Packin to Betty White: 1992 HZJ80 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/from-poverty-packin-to-betty-white-1992-hzj80.1217512/

I have daily driven this truck for the last two+ years. The turbo is tuned to not smoke, but to provide good useable boost while maintaining the engine's legendary longevity. EGT, Boost, water temp, and RPM gauges have been added to monitor engine performance. I'm selling to get a pickup truck that better fits my current needs (hauling my mountain bikes and home crap). Interesting deals/trades possible (70 series pickups, Toyota Tundras, Tacomas, plus cash).

Asking $35k. Open to trade for a 4x4 Tundra Double Cab (Limited, Platinum, TRD) or similar Tacoma.
Located in Austin, TX

Thanks,
David

20220829_092706.jpg

Last edited:
Chk your math on the KM to Miles

Good catch. Meant 250k km.

Such a nice 80, with sensible upgrades and a good build thread.

GLWS

Bump.

Year: 1992
Model: HZJ80 Eurospec Imported from Belgium. Used as a NATO truck
Miles: 259k kilometers (161k miles)

Features:
  • Poverty pack model:
    • manual windows
    • manual door locks
    • barn doors
    • vinyl carpet, jute padding, and noise dampener on the floor.
    • no sunroof
    • Simplified gauge cluster
    • Cloth seats and no third row
  • Left-hand drive.
  • Factory 1HZ diesel engine
  • 1997 Factory Locked axles
  • Part-time 4-wheel drive with Aisin locking hubs.
  • Auxilliary factory fuel tank
  • 17” Toyota steelies” with 2-year-old Cooper tires
  • 10-footer paint job. Looks good, but is not perfect.
  • Factory part-time with full manual HF1A t case, H150 5-speed transmission,
  • Upgraded JW Speaker headlights. Best headlight upgrade out there.
  • Relatively new ARB winch bumper.
  • 8K Warn winch with synthetic rope and Albright style waterproof contactor
  • New Holset HX30w turbo. Installed at 247k kilometers. Boosts to 14.5 PSI.
  • Factory new 1HDT Boost compensator to help regulate fuel at boost.
  • New water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and seals installed at time of turbo upgrade.
  • New Big End Bearings were swapped in as part of the turbo install. Old bearings showed no sign of wear.
  • Recent radiator and hoses (whole cooling system refresh).
  • Giant touchscreen NAV/Radio running Android.
  • Dual batteries with charge controller.
  • Smittybilt aftermarket metal center console
  • New mats front/middle/cargo.
  • Front mount Intercooler.
  • Ice cold AC with new blower motor.
  • Fold down Front Runner table with Rig'd slide out.
  • Clear Texas title and current registration
Build thread: From Poverty Packin to Betty White: 1992 HZJ80 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/from-poverty-packin-to-betty-white-1992-hzj80.1217512/

I have daily driven this truck for the last two+ years. The turbo is tuned to not smoke, but to provide good useable boost while maintaining the engine's legendary longevity. EGT, Boost, water temp, and RPM gauges have been added to monitor engine performance. I'm selling to get a pickup truck that better fits my current needs (hauling my mountain bikes and home crap). Interesting deals/trades possible (70 series pickups, Toyota Tundras, Tacomas, plus cash).

Asking $35k. Open to trade for a 4x4 Tundra Double Cab (Limited, Platinum, TRD) or similar Tacoma.
Located in Austin, TX

Thanks,
David

View attachment 3115876
This is exactly like the Land Cruisers I saw in the Middle East in the early 1990s, which were owned by the UN in Gaza. I was there on a medical missionary trip at the time. I ended up having one built, using a USA Series 80 and a JDM diesel drivetrain. Yours is a great truck.

Well hell. The deal fell through. Back up for sale.

I just wish this would sell so I don't have to keep thinking about it! Such a nice truck with good documentation and build info. People really do not know what they are missing. What a rig. GLWS

Any rust on it (sills, drains, frame, etc.)? How’s the transmission, any driveline clunk? It’s really a nice rig and I’m interested. How does the group feel about 35k? Is that a fair price?

I just wish this would sell so I don't have to keep thinking about it! Such a nice truck with good documentation and build info. People really do not know what they are missing. What a rig. GLWS
This!

Any rust on it (sills, drains, frame, etc.)? How’s the transmission, any driveline clunk? It’s really a nice rig and I’m interested. How does the group feel about 35k? Is that a fair price?
No rust. Tranny shifts fine. Some clutch rattle when you let off the pedal in 5th gear at high speed (normal?).

Make me an offer. 😁

Last edited:
This is a uber rare, very special truck. It boils down to if you can afford to make it your own.

Last edited:
I was (and am still) drooling over this rig when I first saw it a few years back when you picked it up. Excellent build!! If I was closer I would come look at it and it would be hard to not come home with it. Kind of like when you say we are going to go "just look" at a puppy... GLWS!

I have a 97’ LHD same exact specs with less miles. The fuel sub tank is great for long hauls. These trucks are extremely rare and I honestly feel that $35K is a steal considering that the market for a well maintained LC is in the mid to high $40’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom