Cowl Vent Screen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To clean, you don't need access in the center, you need access at the ends. There are holes in the firewall for this, but on the PS you need to remove the wiper motor, and if the drains are clogged, you need to remove the fenders to gain access. Not a huge deal, but im talking about preventing the need to clean. See here.

View attachment 2336878

That is a ridiculous amount of manual paint removal

Also like how you have a "1FZ-FE" sticker on the front of what looks like a 4BT.

Last edited:
About the vent cover idea. I'd say almost all the crap that gets into the vent is from gravity debris from
trees. It's not like most of it comes from driving in the forest although certainly it happens. So the idea
of a small forward facing scoop would be cool, and certainly a welded SS screen would enhance the look.

Also, for winter cover to stop snow and garbage but to allow airflow - use a piece of carpet. I use it on
my ATV and it works amazing at keeping radiator from plugging with snow but still seems to allow complete
airflow.

Idea: copy insert screen from FJ40? Which is removable

My accountant gives me several of these sheet magnet calendars every year and they are the perfect size to block off the two vents. I use them mainly in the Fall when the leaves and acorns are shedding the most. They live under my driver's seat the rest of the year. They are strong enough to stay on if I forget to remove them before driving. I think a more elegant full-time solution could be fabbed up with some screen, a 3D printed frame and some neodymium magnets.

IMG_3451[1].JPG

Been using white magnetic sheet (old sign stock stripped of the printing)panels for well over a decade now to keep debris out when parked. I just slide them off to the side when driving, never had one come adrift at speed. Easy to see on a blue cruiser if you have forgotten to move them clear!

I cut out one of the grills to try to get access and find a leak. Covered it up with a vent cover from a boating store - been there for about 4 years now...

View attachment 2338291

View attachment 2338292

That might be my favorite option yet. Recall where you got them or what specifically they were called?

Could easily put a screen between that and the factory vent, and screw it down with stainless self tappers.

EDIT: Found what looks to be the right thing. Just need to find a place to buy it in the states.

Last edited:
That might be my favorite option yet. Recall where you got them or what specifically they were called?

Could easily put a screen between that and the factory vent, and screw it down with stainless self tappers.

EDIT: Found what looks to be the right thing. Just need to find a place to buy it in the states.
been thinking about how to solve this as well ... just throwing this out there...

Floor Register Vent Cover- 4"x12" Magnetic Air Vent Screen Mesh Trap

I ordered a couple 4" x 12" .. figure for $ 20 it's worth trying..

my $.02

I put a K&N filter cover over the "stack" inside my cowl a few years ago. I believe this one in the link is the one I used. It's a perfect fit over the screened portion and is held into place by the "expanded" bit of sheet metal where the screen meets the stack. Caveat is it's VERY difficult (though obviously possible) to get it on right, even with the wiper motor and linkage removed. Motor and linkage need to come out to make installation at all possible.

Works great, and still allows more than enough airflow for our blowers to move.

I put a K&N filter cover over the "stack" inside my cowl a few years ago. I believe this one in the link is the one I used. It's a perfect fit over the screened portion and is held into place by the "expanded" bit of sheet metal where the screen meets the stack. Caveat is it's VERY difficult (though obviously possible) to get it on right, even with the wiper motor and linkage removed. Motor and linkage need to come out to make installation at all possible.

Works great, and still allows more than enough airflow for our blowers to move.

The point of this thread is to find a solution to keep crap out of the cowl cavity completely, not just out of the blower intake within the cowl...

Here's my updated solution. Not the most elegant, but more elegant than fridge magnets. Got a 4' section of expanded metal gutter guard from Lowes, cut it down to fit over the vents, attached with two neo magnets per side. Stays on fine with typical driving. I leave them on all the time.

IMG_5504[1].JPG
IMG_5505[1].JPG
IMG_5506[1].JPG

nice ... almost went that route too... hell, late the other night I had a whole injection molded design with magnets all thought out... 🤣😂😅😂

The point of this thread is to find a solution to keep crap out of the cowl cavity completely, not just out of the blower intake within the cowl...
Oh I thought that was the end goal and keeping the cowl area clear was the means being discussed to accomplish that. Press on then. Don't mind me.....

Hi, Personally going to try the magnet ones,the screen will still need cleaning and easy removal works for truck wash day and the occasional snow days. What about Neatiease material on Amazon? Mike

Last edited:
Hi, Personally going to try the magnet ones,the screen will still need cleaning and easy removal works for truck wash day and the occasional snow days. What about Neatiease material on Amazon? Mike
ooh ooh .. that might be great for the back slider windows (we sleep in the back of the cruiser when camping)

So the magnetic vent covers were going to take too long ... these trees will have shed everything by the time they would have got here.

Instead I am opting for these weather proof, epoxy coated neodymium bar magnets. inexpensive.
AND some window screening left over from the house.

Amazon product ASIN B09DF2X5Y8
Here's few pics of prototype. Need a "ring" of plastic or something to affix all the magnets to. Or just leave it and see what happens. Soo much tree debris

i wonder how much metal road dust err whatever I'll pick up on them

20220913_185811.jpg

20220913_185801.jpg

20220913_185746.jpg

16631172799324055017320667505965.jpg

Last edited:
Silicon them togeather with 3m 5200 ?
Perhaps! Haven't used that before...
was thinking more rigid, like thin plastic , pvc, wood, etc... A license plate frame is just about right...

That's really just to make taking on and off easier, as well as looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom