STLCA 60 Series Club Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll answer my own question again...source for the knobs in question. Person over on the ms forum came across this and shared with me...fyi for those who may need some spares or whatever. Not sure how many the guy has.

Looks like my rear axle pinion seal is leaking, anyone have any feedback on brand to get or stay away from? Just noticed this evening that I have some oil spray on the rear shocks and the axle tubes have oil spray and the third/chunk is wet at the bottom. It was dark and I did not have time to look around that well. Anyway comment on the pinion seal.

Good reference for those with a engine swap or others who want to use the CS144 alternator (I have one on my truck).

Good overall reference....on the FJ60 based on my experience with 5.7 engine swap, you need a different wiring adapter, but I'm proof it works and it was not too painful once I got past some of the confusion on the OEM side of the wiring harness @ the ALT. The other note to be aware of is the different mount configurations on the CS-144. I run the version that matches my engine and model year, like a 1998 GM pickup with 5.7 and optional 140 amp alternator. The physical mount of the alternator to the engine bracket is a clean bolt in. The lower rated alternator on the GM side also obviously phyiscally mounts but the wiring harness is different at the ALT, i think off hand thats a CS-133.

so anyway...a majority of the 5.7 vortec engines would have a CS133 ...maybe 100 amp alternator, the OEM optional upgrade was the CS-144 , which is the large case GM alternator and is 140amp. CS-144 is a "rock-star" for alternators...if you are a GM fan. Point of knowledge. The two alternators have different plugs/connectors.

Look for Napa..I think its EC80 or EC82 CS-144 harness (depending on application)

look here too for info...

other places google will show.
t
14.7 volts all day...from what I've read the CS-144 is one of the best large capacity. alternators around and would be an obvious mod on a GM power-plant and many others use the same ALT. I bought one of the last DENSO brands in stock recently from Rock Auto that works on my setup. I like Denso or GM. Stay away from WPS brand....I acquired one as a spare some time ago and I have no clue where I bought it ( i presume Napa)... failure right out of the box, so might stay away from that brand. Not a great day when the brand new spare part...tanks right out of the box.

Looks like my rear axle pinion seal is leaking, anyone have any feedback on brand to get or stay away from? Just noticed this evening that I have some oil spray on the rear shocks and the axle tubes have oil spray and the third/chunk is wet at the bottom. It was dark and I did not have time to look around that well. Anyway comment on the pinion seal.

Hey Elbert, sucks to hear about your pinion seal, but that is a relatively inexpensive part. I would imagine Cruiser Outfitters can set you up with a seal, as they also have very good customer service.

Good luck!

Hey Elbert, sucks to hear about your pinion seal, but that is a relatively inexpensive part. I would imagine Cruiser Outfitters can set you up with a seal, as they also have very good customer service.

Good luck!
yeah...I've not really spent any time on further investigation yet, I'm not driving the truck either so thats the driver. I do need to get things squared away though.

For the 60 folks.... regarding the front fender marker lights, to replace those do you have to take the wheel well all the way out, so you have access to the inner fender area where the wiring is for the light? The wiring harness on that bulb / light assembly is so short, seems like the only way, or if you have some super small arms or something to get into the inner fender up there by the battery, which seems kind of impossible to deal with the connectors through that hole with one arm.

One of my marker lights has nearly desegregated and the other does not look good, so they need to be replaced.

I saw a comment or something....in I think the for sale area...details somewhere?
None that I saw. Wish he would post up. Not sure what he has been up to.

He has it installed mostly. The shock towers are his current issue. Otherwise, an hour or two of assembly, a shorter drive shaft and some gear oil and it would be good to go.

None that I saw. Wish he would post up. Not sure what he has been up to.

he needs to hurry up so we all can inspect and learn how its done. I've been reading some stuff on "electronic rear disk parking brake calipers" @ wilwood. I also heard from my friend that new trundras are going to electronic parking brakes....very interesting to me as I think my parking brake "sucks" along with the concept of the rear stock brake setup staying in adjustment. (my view).

might be expanded options on pretty items from the salvage yard and or things from wilwood. I know I'm not a Toyota purist....but I never was, I'm crazy...I have a 5.7 vortec sitting under the hood.

So far I've not jumped on doing anything yet on my rear brake setup, as I did not want to introduce new problems vs. known ones now.

I looking for some type of award for most postings...:)

see attached pics, first two are my current gas cap, 2nd two shows new OEM gas cap. Anyone with a 60 (gas powered) have one like in the first two pics or the 2nd two pics ? I know its a little hard to see the top (based on this pics), but the bottom of these two caps are different. I will note that the new item does lock on and engage with the filler neck. I assume my gas cap as pictured in the first two pics is OEM , but I really dont' know, it came on the truck.

I've been working on minor projects here and there and have not been on the forum in a while...

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

anyone know the size of the bolt that holds the front sway bar bushing in ? on the front side of the front axle? I know the head is 12 mm but that does not mean anything. I've either stripped the bolt and or the whole as well. I was replacing the bushings with parts I had bought many moons ago and one side went fine and the other was a problem..anyway all in the fun I guess.

anyone know the size of the bolt that holds the front sway bar bushing in ? on the front side of the front axle? I know the head is 12 mm but that does not mean anything. I've either stripped the bolt and or the whole as well. I was replacing the bushings with parts I had bought many moons ago and one side went fine and the other was a problem..anyway all in the fun I guess.
Hey Elbert, I’ll take a look for you

Hey Elbert, I’ll take a look for you
thanks was trying to confirm what tap and die I need and the correct bolt (metric and pitch reference). I may have to get the hole welded up and redone-up, but for now I'm gonna try to fix up my screw-up. I had never had that bolt out, but given the age of this thing, I can't say that someone else may have helped with the threads in the past. Anyway trying to get to the easy solution first. I did hunt around, i know some of the parts references have the bolt size etc, but so far I 've not found one on this, i'm sure its not unique I just want to make sure what I get is correct. If I have to do some crazy red-neck custom BS....then all bets are off.

thanks was trying to confirm what tap and die I need and the correct bolt (metric and pitch reference). I may have to get the hole welded up and redone-up, but for now I'm gonna try to fix up my screw-up. I had never had that bolt out, but given the age of this thing, I can't say that someone else may have helped with the threads in the past. Anyway trying to get to the easy solution first. I did hunt around, i know some of the parts references have the bolt size etc, but so far I 've not found one on this, i'm sure its not unique I just want to make sure what I get is correct. If I have to do some crazy red-neck custom BS....then all bets are off.
So do you need the bolt size so you can match it up with something local? You also could call Cruiser Outfitters or someone like that and they could likely sell you a bolt for the exact part of the swaybar. Or, at least tell you the size and pitch.

Let me know and I can measure

yes I'm aware I can buy a new bolt, I've done that and waiting to get them, and I can measure that when I get it. But for the purpose of doing something now to clean up the threads....if you don't know the metric size & thread pitch you are at square one. I do have a minor collection of metric bolts, but I'm not going to take the one good bolt out of the other side to measure it, becuase I don't want to potentially screw that up (i've already replaced the bushing and bracket there).

I'm sure there is some chart or parts reference that shows the bolt size (I've just not found it). SOR has reasonably good pictures, but the only thing for this bolt for information on their web site is some internal part number. I did not see where cruiser outfitters has a reference to this bolt, they do sell the link kit part of the sway bar, but I did not notice these bolts which hold the sway bar to the front part of the front axle (when I looked the other day at their web site)

Dont' take anything apart to figure out the size / pitch..... I was just trying to see if anyone knew off hand or had some tech reference chart or something.

I think the bolt is likey a m6 with 1.0 or 1.25 pitch (I'm guessing) but I don't recall that much variation in some of these bolts. I may have the guess wrong but I'll blame that on my excellent memory.

its not a critical issue , if information not known. The truck is sitting in the shop and I don't drive it, but when I want to.

the bolt in question is a m8 / 1.25 m, thread length part of bolt is about an inch long (I don't have a metric rule here at home).

FYI (this bolt holds the front and left front sway bar bushings in (on the front side of the front axle).

I stripped part of my OEM bolt and I expect some of the threads in the mount / bracket itself, which I'm going to see if I can fix the threads on the bracket and use new bolt. If I can't fix the threads on the bracket, I'll get my friend to weld up the hole on the bracket setup a new tapped hole.

I fixed the sway bar bushing "fiasco" with a thread chaser and new bolt.

on another task, how many banana job is it to change the window regulators on the front door (fj 60)..scale of 1-10 ?

Last edited:
If like most others I've done I'm gonna say 4ish on the high end. For you probably more of a 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom