TLCA 2022 Rubithon Wagon Run (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really takes you old guys a long time to get your junk ready!!

😂😂🤘🤘
Just finished mounting a new winch, still dicking around getting new sliders welded on. Then i need to work on improved mounting hardware for skidplate. Still have a month.
But Baofengs came in the mail, so i got that...

Really takes you old guys a long time to get your junk ready!!

😂😂🤘🤘
I'm a young guy, but getting my junk ready to be reliable junk takes me forever :p

I have yet to sign up. I understand the Wagon runs are full, are there still open runs? Also, since I will be trailering to Loon, will there be any people exiting back to Loon?

There are open runs. As far as people driving back to loon Some people do do that. Last year I loaned a friend my Samurai and he drove back to loon to get his tow rig . . How many days would you like to be on the trail ? That will determine what run you should go on .

So, I just pick a run from the registration, and then network at the event to find someone going back to Loon on sun or Monday? I have done the round trip solo 9 years ago but since then I’ve had 2 hips replaced and don’t think I could hike out in the case of catastrophic vehicle failure!

I was originally going to trailer my 80 to Loon, then just drive around to pick it up Sunday. Yes, it's a drive, but that kept me going the same direction as most people and was better on my time constraints. And I'm certain you could pick a ride out and back should the worst case scenario occur.

So, I just pick a run from the registration, and then network at the event to find someone going back to Loon on sun or Monday? I have done the round trip solo 9 years ago but since then I’ve had 2 hips replaced and don’t think I could hike out in the case of catastrophic vehicle failure!
The runs will very as when they leave and how many days they will be . What do you plan on bringing ? that could help decide what run might work best

Larry , Dion, Andy & Spence from PMC usually return to Loon on Sunday.

I'm going in on the Monday wagon run, planning on going out to Loon on Sunday.

OK Guy 2 weeks to go . Make sure you get your final prep done . Check your winches pull the lines out . The one thing i thought was not a issue on the 40 was the winch checked it and just had to rebuild it . Get your Camp fire permit . Check your Radios . I am leaving this Tue For Sierra Trek and then will be over on the Rubicon all week so if anyone come up early I will be floating around somewhere . I will be camping at Loon Tue night before our run . See you guys up there

Passed smog and paid registration today. Just going to respool my winch and change the oil and I'm set.

I'm packing a few spares with me if anyone in the group needs and the tools to do any of these and then some.
-AVM front freewheel hubs
-stock drive flanges
-hub studs with cone washers and nuts
-front wheel bearings
-rear drive shaft
-set of steering arms
-valve stems

Great trip. Meet a lot of great people. Thank you everyone.

421AA06E-5227-41FE-9240-350C6AA4AC89.jpeg

C1DCA6A9-DEEE-4D29-9D69-18A4D9E20419.jpeg

Thank you for all your hard work Jeff! It was an amazing run full of great people. I can't wait to do it again next year with my new experience and knowledge you and everyone else imparted, and some adjustments to my heavy rig.

Thank you for all your hard work Jeff! It was an amazing run full of great people. I can't wait to do it again next year with my new experience and knowledge you and everyone else imparted, and some adjustments to my heavy rig.
You did great Next year will fill up fast as we already have people asking to join . 360 days to go

I'm going to get in as quickly as possible for sure!

Just a little before and after of our group
20220824-DSC_5655.jpg
20220828-DSC_5982.jpg

A recap (Part 1) - sharing my take:

First thanks to Jeff & Alissa, Steve, Nick & AJ, Ethan & Quit, Patrick & family, Aaron & Justin, Brian, Ray & Sean. You're all amazing, helpful and fun to run trails with.

August 24-25/28 was the official run of the Wagon Run group at the 34th Rubithon.

There were 10 rigs in this group - 3 FJ Crusers, 2 LX470 & 5 LC 80 series.

August 24 - Loon Lake to Buck Island (8 hours)
August 25 - Buck Island to Rubicon Springs (4 hours)
August 26-27 - Camp at Rubicon Springs where the event program is held (3 days/3 nights)
August 28 - Rubicon Springs to Cadillac Hill and Tahoma staging area where we ended (4 hours)

This post is to share with you some photos of the run and the event.

Day 0 - We left Torrance, CA morning of August 23 and spent the night at South Lake Tahoe. I was with my daughter Hannah who's my best off-road buddy.

Of course, beer & food for a night cap.

34th Rubithon - Pre-run by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Day 1 - We arrived at Loon Lake at 7:00 am - Wednesday after refuelling. I brought with me 2.5 extra gallons of gas.

IMG_6385 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Selfie with my daughter Hannah.

IMG_6394 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

The obligatory photo at the Rubicon Trail signage.

IMG_6390 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Members of this group came all the way from Georgia, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon, and Nevada. Four of us came from California. 17 rigs were expected for this group as per registration, but only 10 made it.

IMG_6398 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Last edited:
Recap Part II

Final briefing before entering the trail. Jeff (FJ Cruiser from Oregon is our Trail Leader) and Sean (FJ Cruiser from Colorado is our tail gunner). This proves that an IFS can lead a solid axle group.

IMG_6408 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

At the Gatekeeper.

IMG_6414 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

IMG_6411 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

IMG_6425 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

At the Granite Bowl

IMG_6428 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Past Granite Bowl

IMG_6433 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Sean with his monster FJ made it to the Soup Bowl

IMG_6443 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

One of the obstacles before Buck Island.

IMG_6450 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

IMG_6431 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Finally reached Buck Island to camp for the night.

A sumptuous dinner is prepared by my daughter Hannah.

Look, my mini Lakandula made it to Buck Island too.

IMG_6466 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Last edited:
Recap Part III

Day 2 - Buck Island to Rubicon Springs

Leaving Buck Island.

IMG_6476 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Seems the trail is harder this time compared last year.

IMG_6487 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Checking the rig behind me.

IMG_6485 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

IMG_6490 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

My daughter Hannah spotting other rigs pass through the Decision Tree (though the tree is already fallen) obstacle.

IMG_6492 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Untitled by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

We arrived at Rubicon Springs early afternoon. Same camping spot as last year at the Springs.

IMG_6500 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

I guess we deserve a good meal on our first night at the Springs.

IMG_6501 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom