Cottonland Hunting/Shooting Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all of the great recommendations for the Sig P365 and XL. Very happy with our purchases.

How about hearing protection? Keep it simple or go with the ones that allow you to hear someone talk, but block the gun? Any particular brand or model?
I love the Peltor Sport Taticals the “cheaper” model <$100, the battery seems to last forever. Adjustable ambient volume, can actually boost your hearing for hunting etc., very comfortable even when wearing a hat, enough active noise suppression to shoot basically anything indoors, and fold up nice and small. There’s some cheaper ones out there that will do basically the same thing, but these were worth a little extra to me. I think I’ve had mine at least 5 years.

I got some Honeywell over the ear protection. They do the job, but one thing to consider is how they fit if you are wearing eye protection too. The bows of my glasses create a little gap in the earcups and the cushion is not soft enough to seal it up 100%. When test fitting, make sure you try them with glasses on.

We have tested and evaluated (personal preference/anecdotal) electronic earpro for the last 10 years.

The overwhelming favorite is:

Amazon product ASIN B079W5N8HT
Cheap and effective with noise cancelation. MUST add the upgraded ear pads:

Amazon product ASIN B08KZCJ112
Walkie talkie is also an option for multiple shooters at distance:

Amazon.com : Walker's Razor Walkie Talkie Handsfree Communication up to 3 Miles , Black : Sports & Outdoors - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QFCP93T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D0SPH244X9DGP0X1HCY9

Picked up a Springfield EMP Ronin 9mm today
694C8A76-F0F3-41B8-8BFE-1CFC0C09801E.jpeg

Hers and His

20220226_085952.jpg

I got some Honeywell over the ear protection. They do the job, but one thing to consider is how they fit if you are wearing eye protection too. The bows of my glasses create a little gap in the earcups and the cushion is not soft enough to seal it up 100%. When test fitting, make sure you try them with glasses on.
I have some hearing protection from the ENT Doc, I think technically they are made to keep water out of your ear from swimming but they pretty much lock sound out...stone cold which may or may not serve your purpose in shooting. Bascially you go to the ENT and they pour this crap in your ears and you get custom ear plugs once the stuff solidifies and hardens...painless process. An option, at one time I worked in a heavy truck plant where the noise from Huck Guns and other things was "crazy loud", got these to save what hearing I had left after GI-JOE time. These were not the toy huck guns....these were the kind that deal with like roughly 3/4 inch size "huck bolts"...if I remember the correct size. Anyway the bolts (if using huck type bolts/assemblies) that hold Class 8 truck frames together..etc. The guns work like a rivet gun and shear the bolt once they push back against the nut and they sould similar to a large caliber rifle with a nasty "searing..crack" noise that drives you insane being around 5 or 6 guys running those things ....mating frames / crossmembers and the many bolts that go on a semi truck. The type of noise that runs through your body...not just rattles your ears. Get some type of hearing protection....once you loose some of your hearing...depending on what it is...its not fixable later.

I’ve been hearing a good bit of chatter about Efile for form 4… under 90 days at this point if you use a kiosk.

So my question is, why a new round? I always thought the M4 platform was for personal, with the SAW being the big gun when it got rowdy, now there's no difference, just more of them in one than the other. What am I missing?

So my question is, why a new round? I always thought the M4 platform was for personal, with the SAW being the big gun when it got rowdy, now there's no difference, just more of them in one than the other. What am I missing?

Based on what I have read,
  • The new round is needed due to advancements and availability of body armor.
  • Like before with the M4 and SAW, the Sig solution is for two rifle models. There are clear differences in their configurations. But due to both models coming from Sig, my projection is there should be a higher percentage of part commonality / interchangeability between them. I did not see that in the press releases that I read, so this is entirely projection on my part.

With the introduction of a new round, are there implications to the supply chain? i.e., As product shifts to meet the needs for the Army, will there be trickle down into the cost/availability of 223/568 ammunition to the public?

Chinese and Russian body armor are driving the need for a more powerful round.

The new round/grain count mean better accuracy but also more stopping power/lethality.

The supply chain/parts homogenization/ will reduce the production line as well.

Based on what I have read,
  • The new round is needed due to advancements and availability of body armor.
  • Like before with the M4 and SAW, the Sig solution is for two rifle models. There are clear differences in their configurations. But due to both models coming from Sig, my projection is there should be a higher percentage of part commonality / interchangeability between them. I did not see that in the press releases that I read, so this is entirely projection on my part.

With the introduction of a new round, are there implications to the supply chain? i.e., As product shifts to meet the needs for the Army, will there be trickle down into the cost/availability of 223/568 ammunition to the public?
In regards to changes in availability. The new weapons/round are for “tip of the spear” units. Engineers, SF, infantry. Support units will be using the M4 indefinitely.

My read is that the 5.56 round won’t see a change in availability.

Finished up Erins rifle today.
20220911_183645.jpg

Nothing particularly special. PSA upper and lower. 14.5" pinned and welded. Basic parts kit.

But what makes it unique and for Erin is the engraving.

20220911_183929.jpg

It's a Christmas story themed lower. The guy who did the paperwork for me thought it was hilarious, but also was waiting for a call from them to ask it this was some kind of joke.

Heh! Where did you order that lower? I know someone who needs one.

Palmetto State Armory, @BMThiker beat me to it.

they do meme lowers pretty often. The current offering is a "GhostGun" lower with a g-g-ghost holding a rifle. Thinking of picking up one of those for a pistol build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom