What did you do on your 70 series today? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New front window rubbers. The power regulators are really tired. With the new window runs they can barely push the glass up with the extra friction. Definitely doing manual-crank conversion in the spring. Both vent windows were cemented into the lower channel with what I believe to be grey RTV. That was super fun to deal with.
567BC72D-55B9-4DC1-A1B2-BB226E9BEF8D.jpeg
1CC212D4-758A-4FAD-805A-57FF0A8C9AAB.jpeg
B19645F1-CB0C-414B-9774-1163B617B5E3.jpeg
8532FF57-C42C-46DB-9D36-6ACE27BB7B58.jpeg

New front window rubbers. The power regulators are really tired. With the new window runs they can barely push the glass up with the extra friction. Definitely doing manual-crank conversion in the spring. Both vent windows were cemented into the lower channel with what I believe to be grey RTV. That was super fun to deal with.
View attachment 3112436View attachment 3112437View attachment 3112438View attachment 3112439
Those are hard to put in place went through this during the winter my finger were dead

Parked next to this guy today at lunch.
IMG_20220913_121731410.jpg

Looks like it's pretty freshly painted. No marker lights or exterior mirrors installed.
IMG_20220913_121721355_HDR.jpg

Swapped a Provent catch can out for a HPD unit yesterday. Super blingy but nicely made. Also retorqued the new spacers after the 50-100 miles and new lug nuts all around. Finally rid of those keyed lugs. Not sure about the wheel/tire combo. Feel good, stable, not too loud yet... but they'd sit just right and look better without flares. Don't have a trip planned until late October to see how they do.

2.jpg

1.jpg

We had a little meet & greet last night as well. Grilled brats, drank beer & talked cruisers. Two J7s present, lots of wagons, I remember when the 'club' was mostly 40's and one or two wagons, numbers have flipped.

IMG_20220913_194023221_HDR.jpg

Hello,

That RTV explains why you had such a hard time pulling that part out. It should not be there.

Was the clear plastic seal there, between the door card and the door body?

Creative mechanics, I guess.

Carbon builds up in the contact plates inside the regulator switches as time passes, thus rendering them hard to operate.

You can disassemble the switches and clean the carbon deposits. This is a way to keep them functional until they give up the ghost.

Or you can replace them rather than going hand crank.

Make sure you put in a clear plastic seal in the door body with double faced adhesive tape. It helps to keep dust away.

Juan

Took a three hour detour to Yuma before hoping on a flight from Phoenix to sneak in a few minutes of wrench time on the 71. I had intended to pick up my rear third from Zuk yesterday with the newly installed e-locker but found out at the last minute the newer 70 series take a 100/200 series carrier with 32 spline axles instead of the more common 9.5" 30 spline. I went ahead cleaned the old gasket off the axle housing and installed the factory auxiliary fuse block. I'm still trying to source the bracket for said fuse block but took some measurements in case I have to make my own.

Hello,

That RTV explains why you had such a hard time pulling that part out. It should not be there.

Carbon builds up in the contact plates inside the regulator switches as time passes, thus rendering them hard to operate.

You can disassemble the switches and clean the carbon deposits. This is a way to keep them functional until they give up the ghost.

Make sure you put in a clear plastic seal in the door body with double faced adhesive tape. It helps to keep dust away.

Juan

Thanks for the tips, my electric windows are also getting very lazy! Where are those regulator switches? In the door or ?

Cheers
Clint

Thanks for the tips, my electric windows are also getting very lazy! Where are those regulator switches? In the door or ?

Cheers
Clint

Hello,

They are in the door.

This is a picture of mine.

202019_52.JPG

I could extend its life by disassembling it, cleaning the carbon buildup and reassembling it.

I am afraid I do not have pictures of the disassembly and clean up.

Juan

Cheers
Clint
I recently lubricated my driver’s window regulator and it made a huge difference in the smoothness and speed of the power window. I used a spray silicone on the regulator pivots and a dab of grease on the little plastic rollers. The passenger window needs it next, and I should probably go ahead and do both rears as well.

Hello,

Juan
Thanks as always, Juan.
Yes, I need to make the plastic vapor barriers.
The switches work with some specific input but they are mechanically shot and the motors make some wonderful noises. If I’m going to put new regulators in, I’d prefer to go manual. I like the simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom