What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not claiming to be a pro, but I would really re-solder those better. The solder should be fusing them together and within the wire too, you kinda put it on like a glue gun.
Ya you'll notice I said poorly, I don't think my iron was getting hot enough, I dunno. The wires weren't moving and I taped them with Hesa, gave them two coats of liquid tape and then then wrapped it in Hesa again so I reckon it will be ok. I'm sure my next outing will be better.

New bumpstops from Energy. I bought these like a year and a half ago, and never got around to putting them in. $30 vs $250 from Timbren for just a piece of rubber. I think they work? Not sure yet. They definetly restrict up travel though.
20220827_202055.jpg
20220828_184309.jpg

Today was a busy maintenance day. No pics tho

- new upper spc ball joints
-555 lower ball joints
- new oe outer tie rods
- trail tailor front extended sway bar links
- new sway bar bushings
- fuel filter
- replace driver wheel bearings/ repack passenger
- new oe driver side cv axle and flange
- fix fuel leak on top of aux tank
- raised torsions 1 turn
- trimmed fenders more to prevent rubbing while wheeling

- built a mount for my twin arb and manifold
- hopefully fixed the swing out rattle.

-555 lower ball joints
- new oe outer tie rods
- new sway bar bushings
- fuel filter
- raised torsions 1 turn

If you did that by yourself today you are a far superior mechanic to me brother.

If you did that by yourself today you are a far superior mechanic to me brother.

Took me about 5 hours to do it.

However I’m not your average diy guy. I was an automotive/ diesel tech for about 20 Years before I moved to management roles. I can still turn a wrench when I need to.

Also have access to just about every tool imaginable. Plus lifts. (We own an Independent shop)

That’s like a month of truck downtime for me including liberal amounts of swearing, wandering out to the garage to look at it and go “nah- not today,” and generally getting greasy and making slow, slow headway on stuff that someone who knows what they’re doing could knock out in :20.

I realize I’m just trying to catch up with you veteran modding mudders.

Installed additional LEDs in front bumper holes. Stand alone wiring and cabin switch rather than spliced into other lighting.

09022D21-6BA6-4611-BF35-5186B12DDF20.jpeg

54796F9E-67B0-4B6F-88E1-36D14C9AC9F8.jpeg

31FD3551-2383-4CA7-8AE0-0CD0DCA4D724.jpeg

51C9B027-7426-422E-814E-6476F5969895.jpeg

Last edited:

-555 lower ball joints
- new oe outer tie rods
- new sway bar bushings
- fuel filter
- raised torsions 1 turn

Finished up mounting my twin arb and manifold. Cleaned the shop.

AEBEB62E-5E08-4B8B-AE5A-64A64B0238B8.jpeg

4CAC31D7-4892-4034-98EE-576E535EC55A.jpeg

67BABB09-9FAC-491C-87E9-8DB101CA2C1D.jpeg

D91682CD-489A-499E-908F-70F32F881E82.jpeg

@Squashola speak more of the install and your impressions of the TJM bumper. Did you get the winch mounting plate too? I have looked at it and the price was as much as an ARB I had sold a few years back. I love the one piece and the simplicity. Is it stout? Do tell.

@Squashola speak more of the install and your impressions of the TJM bumper. Did you get the winch mounting plate too? I have looked at it and the price was as much as an ARB I had sold a few years back. I love the one piece and the simplicity. Is it stout? Do tell.
I did get the winch mounting plate but never used it. The install went pretty well. i did need to cut under the headlights to make it fit and so it doesn’t rub. The hardest part was the use of the hack saw to cut the metal off. The wiring connections were pretty easy. The factory wires ground is the grey wire with a stripe. That applies to both the turn signal and fog light wire. I just connected the grounds from the TJM kit to the ground and then connected both the turn signal wire and the fog light wire in their assembly and soldered them together. I put some LED turn signal lights that incorporate a resistor so no hyperflash. I also had some Rigid lights to install and I hooked them to the factory fog light wires. Since Rigid uses Deutsch connectors, I bought two female Deutsch connectors from amazon and soldered them to the factory wires. That way, I can just plus the Rigid lights directly into them. That worked great. The first fitting worked well and had my wife help hold the bumper on while I wrenched the bolts so it wouldn’t fall on me. The bolts are pretty heavy duty and all told there are 8 bolts per side.
After the manual hacksawing the next hardest was to drill the 4 holes in the bumper for the final bolts. This is only done after a test drive to confirm everything is on ok. That was hard as it was a confined space and using a normal drill bit is a bit long. I have a 1/2 inch Milwaukee M12 drill and it fit great in that space. If you can get a short drill bit for that size do it. I forget the size either 13/32 or 15/32. The instructions specify the size. Drilling was a tight and the bit got caught on the last hole and the tip broke inside. Luckily, I was finished drilling all of the holes and it just fell out.

After the install, I took for a test drive and noticed that I had a small creak driving over some twists. Small tabs under the headlights were touching. I had to go underneath and bend them down. The last thing I did was tuck all of the wiring up with zip ties and put protective looms around each group of wires to prevent chaffing.

I like this version as the increase in weight was only about 40 lbs and since I still have the AHC system I didn’t want to over stress the system. Bumper is very sturdy feeling compared to the factory plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom