isuzu 4BD1T swap?! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I hope to throw my hat into the ring very soon. My 40 is under the knife for 1 tons, big tars, and ext cab flatbed conversion. A couple weeks ago, something clicked and said this monster needs to be diesel. Down the rabbit hole I went. After many emails sourcing adapters, I hope to have some hard parts in hand soon. Excited to post a build thread. Been a while.

Well, I hope to throw my hat into the ring very soon. My 40 is under the knife for 1 tons, big tars, and ext cab flatbed conversion. A couple weeks ago, something clicked and said this monster needs to be diesel. Down the rabbit hole I went. After many emails sourcing adapters, I hope to have some hard parts in hand soon. Excited to post a build thread. Been a while.

@theglobb is doing the same swap. I think he is still looking for adapters. He will want in on this if you have found something to go from Isuzu to LC trans.

@theglobb is doing the same swap. I think he is still looking for adapters. He will want in on this if you have found something to go from Isuzu to LC trans.
Yes; we pulled the 4BD1T over the weekend as he was home from school for long weekend. Next will be pulling the 3B and then figuring out placement, adapters, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm not going the stock tcase route. nv4500. I kind of fell in love with the transmission after putting one in my v2500.

This is the first truck I won't be keeping it all Toyota.

Unfortunately, I'm not going the stock tcase route. nv4500. I kind of fell in love with the transmission after putting one in my v2500.

This is the first truck I won't be keeping it all Toyota.
Do those use the split case TC or…? There are several nv4500-LC TC adapters. At least one split case adapter as well as an nv4500-HF2A adapter.

How will you adapt the Isuzu to the NV4500? Roamer drive or…? I’ve got one that turns the back of the Isuzu into a Cummins, and has an adapter puck on the crank. Then it’s all Cummins stuff.

Do those use the split case TC or…? There are several nv4500-LC TC adapters. At least one split case adapter as well as an nv4500-HF2A adapter.

How will you adapt the Isuzu to the NV4500? Roamer drive or…? I’ve got one that turns the back of the Isuzu into a Cummins, and has an adapter puck on the crank. Then it’s all Cummins stuff.
Roamer drive. I've seen that other adapter, but availability is questionable to say the least.

Also, I'm driver drop. SD60.

Roamer drive. I've seen that other adapter, but availability is questionable to say the least.

Also, I'm driver drop. SD60.
Oh that’s right, I forgot that part. Probably easier in some ways. Will be exciting to see it.

This is also on my list. I’ve got 2 of these engines from our old landscape trucks. I’m thinking going with the roamer kit but might follow longbow with his automatic route.

Does anyone have a dimensioned drawing of the H55F? Specifically the bellhousing mounting bolt layout>

Well, I finally picked up a 4bd2tc that needs a rebuild. I’m considering rebuilding it as a 1t. I need a rebuild kit regardless, so might as well eliminate any potential head cracking issues down the road. Pistons, a new head, and 1t injection pump seems to be about all I need. Other than any necessary machine work, I want to rebuild this one myself.

Well, I finally picked up a 4bd2tc that needs a rebuild. I’m considering rebuilding it as a 1t. I need a rebuild kit regardless, so might as well eliminate any potential head cracking issues down the road. Pistons, a new head, and 1t injection pump seems to be about all I need. Other than any necessary machine work, I want to rebuild this one myself.

The only machine work needed to rebuild these is pulling/pressing liners. Valve work in the head would count but if you're changing the whole head that's done.

The only machine work needed to rebuild these is pulling/pressing liners. Valve work in the head would count but if you're changing the whole head that's done.
That’s great news. I’m calling the two local Isuzu dealers tomorrow to see if I can get a rebuild kit…fingers crossed. If not I hope to save these liners. Turbo exploded and sent bits through the engine.

IMG_9504.jpeg
IMG_9505.jpeg

I'm running a 4BD1T that also ate a turbo before I rebuilt it. Doubtful those liners are salvageable, but fortunately, pressing new one's in is pretty easy.
Not to deter you, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for a 98-99 Mercedes 3.0 or a Cummins 5.9. I've got 30,000 miles on my swap, but I think there are better engine choices today that I didn't consider 10 years ago.

Here is my build thread started in 2012.

I'm running a 4BD1T that also ate a turbo before I rebuilt it. Doubtful those liners are salvageable, but fortunately, pressing new one's in is pretty easy.
Not to deter you, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for a 98-99 Mercedes 3.0 or a Cummins 5.9. I've got 30,000 miles on my swap, but I think there are better engine choices today that I didn't consider 10 years ago.

Here is my build thread started in 2012.
Thanks for the link! I mulled over several engine choices and the 4bd meets my goals for this project. My work truck is a 6.2 squarebody with a stock gm turbo running 5 pounds. It makes me smile everyday, so clearly I’m a cheap date.

Liners are easy. Especially when you buy a bottle of liquid nitrogen from the welding supply place!! You do have to make sure to hold it down until it warms up and expands. Otherwise it tries to push out. lol. And, when your done, you have a bunch of liquid nitrogen to do science experiments with the kids. They loved it! These motors are really smooth the way they are, but I balanced the pistons and rods while it was apart. It was unbelievable how smooth it was when done.

ABLVV85ifn6CvsDaWpcMpwVe-1tXXFPYqGJRHRtTfwd43XOXTpMB4doWgfFPAcPwNmgJj-Iwl58dVZXbtIxN0zQi1mhZoHhjdubc7tEBxqecgpLvYm0KTiBirvFtOV1CwLJoRJRkC81xhJbmbbIK2jRMYiLna5MOyn6mt9AONuwl6nS-Kg5sQeKNf2FeY8sZW596l91P_91kPBzv7SDhMAHI5jDaHNPMC8jTJ-Gh6m4swuuJIZGsQbUQY2SSn07B7Os4D1JQg8iLJmx2EIA1-N9wW0BmbvlnHTI8G0d-g_GyjMTTw4BKsV3TcR7rTqp26lwSBK1iAdlSvK7xit9bdIpbi7vYuslnUgjLQrrsrR9PsMDN2nISZhs7WLoMDoBlEo1kcvOtkQ6koaUM4CvlEUecplzr_tpMyFfGs8Gs377lus4LUSFXyBe2KQmBq2VPxadZaof3PVqa4MIzRVDDnEKdMBm6apo9doR84vJnJG2Ffz43TuN7TQxrHFk6SEqg8PdCdZWMsjJJoLXDIRLGq8S0-KflmTu5YJF7MiaeprZAPjOEV6KVku7fijEXx68DgAKcMl8K6fcoiB29QNN7cwbj7qt46MWpKhLfVlTNI6hofN8SczHiQhgRks0_u7Nxw1Nk2N58RIwUic1yYKuYjcZdFEiN3kJWo2f3WQR5IWf1r1LiAD8xKwxa-IFj23xEEldwaY4FlmX_18RLWKDcpVf_fncnGUle5-KmGdDH4ViJAi0_aAQVAAv11JwUMfFN-LyFkEdXZo7I2V1-q7azrp1m4BP30_lXMqf4p32ztZY7knwPA7SBJvh-gpjYEBhj1VOC290BuQPMZI-x3VIKYpb0SDVji_n8AsR0ihBKrpI6swHZJsT6wZ0LdYoDZifaaHhNfRTdpab-YWG0y8MA4xEwp--BhA=w1634-h919-s-no-gm

ABLVV875ufcTm30Vur_5_t5LdWHxmHOzHDWu19hSko0y9yHWf3yeM8PQ4v7WGhk3T_UVgJB_r9POJ-ouEUI76tOM3OfjPO7IErMpMMcM3cazRVHYzu1vitr-KeF4MLLZz4844Cmtt4Jr_Fti3JPKmPemGWQ7Qo6JuL47h1VA2abqN_eHw5OcTA9puQTITMZKi3R-2d3qlG2jCUotDvXN4UEep_aqDwxBLm2isFtgmvNR3ler4n7rGa8W6qNNP9HxufAqqrTC0jpCi44o-jKki2Ka7o76toMx5Zq4H7e1YIZlZZAljqRDLMPG70dj8V8TmO5egrIMuau20hkE_UDenU5FlRMhRfjH3V1wFPDbGyAjPHmvb27bfvhLvbmMLQRD91-R_vbPlN2XvzpsBv1_H4qmKAsZC987pAN_SlQHGJujSo5WJw5fX14vtaZ1-fhkAjcSFIzBlUSZqHZHz8JIGtzN4vf0sn426kFkY0T6keJfRn999EEy-gPvqaxeXlwON6MMrVhKeeiXop-bkT-IDADVdUdskJO2TP0WknTb-djDA-S5p2D6Su_LBojrQyMYslFAsSRiOc-e5RrsDt6WkvaeX7i5Rv7FJ3W3Hs7QSTF735PGiQTRWPd3NtMnbj-dp48LAjtyGIg4_12ee2kNkdj8KaWFfWdVVdjdZVeQVSB6d7Dhss5So4EoYviFuGaPwJNvZnvQgndsJAiCdmValwYnGBmdHhlpBqpiBv2eMjh7TwP3JmVqxgfuPheSdbi2blLmNVqlbR-059bumJHBIatQKw1AnaKwxx3VUEDOsmFT8pJb5s098N8xXLDVQ_gBioAUPdLSWOLnxr-lZRsGBvsa6GMC2KMiwSsZr7RQ_eC97rCEuf_aw0kEyqDp8Vqg9TlycYg2fO1V11gQ0Bwnim6oRoJ1GQ=w517-h919-s-no-gm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom