FJ80-Lexus LS430 motor swap shop in Albuquerque area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my son just totaled his Lexus LS 430 last night and I have been left with a very healthy 4.3 3UZ-FE V8 if I want it. My 1997 LX450 would be a lot more fun at this elevation with this motor I think. I don't have time or energy to do a swap and was wondering if there are any shops in Albuquerque or southern CO, that could do a good quality job. This would also leave me with a very healthy 1FZ FE 4.5 six for sale.
Any advice or referrals are appreciated!

Last edited:
The torque curve is higher in the rev range, might be a little "jumpy" off road.

The torque curve is higher in the rev range, might be a little "jumpy" off road.
Not really

1FZFE is only 275ft/lbs at 3200rpms

3UZFE is 325ft/lbs at 3400rpms. I would bet the 3UZ is making more torque just about everywhere.

Enough to make it a worthwhile swap? Umm beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3UZ
screen_shot_2020_05_01_at_2_00_31_pm_379b06b9ab210243e65ca27dc096edc7db557ce4.png

I was looking down around 1200-1500 Rpm for crawling over obstacles. To get the same torque out of the 3UZ it will be at higher RPM. Not totally sure of the reprocussions of that change, but intuitively I think it would make for more jumpy low speed crawling.

Last edited:
Classic Cruisers in Colorado might be an option

There was a shop in pagosa that worked cruisers don’t remember their name though, he did a lot of Ls swaps

I just scored a 1 owner LS 430 with 78k miles for $5,000 last week.
In the shower this morning it dawned on me the LS 430 drivetrain would be insanely awesome in a Cruiser.
I have a knock in cylinder 1 of my 93’ Cruiser currently. I’m thinking I try to replace the rod bearing and hopefully drive it another 10k miles / 2 years until my LS 430 starts posing ugly luxury repair costs and I swap the drive train over into the Cruiser.
Located in the Colorado area and super interested in finding a mechanic with you. Some mechanics would love the idea of doing the same job twice and using all the knowledge from the 1st job to knock out the 2nd one smoothly.
Would messing with the pristine LS 430 be insane to do? LS 430 PO was the old CEO of Greyhound bus who just passed away. Had the Lexus 80k mile service performed right before purchase at 78k miles.

There’s probably a good reason why nobody has yet shown a finished product here or even on YouTube. It takes a lot of time and effort fraught with risk to get it nailed.

Many years ago, Slee publicized a 2UZ-FE swap done right, at least to my standards, quoting something around $30K+ which seems supremely budget friendly in 2023 money given rising costs and 80 valuation.

Pls somebody who’s got the will and wallet go get it done and report back. Running a non-T heart in a Land Cruiser is a non-starter for me.

Gl! 😎

P.S. Only counts if us Californians can enjoy too

I just scored a 1 owner LS 430 with 78k miles for $5,000 last week.
In the shower this morning it dawned on me the LS 430 drivetrain would be insanely awesome in a Cruiser.
I have a knock in cylinder 1 of my 93’ Cruiser currently. I’m thinking I try to replace the rod bearing and hopefully drive it another 10k miles / 2 years until my LS 430 starts posing ugly luxury repair costs and I swap the drive train over into the Cruiser.
Located in the Colorado area and super interested in finding a mechanic with you. Some mechanics would love the idea of doing the same job twice and using all the knowledge from the 1st job to knock out the 2nd one smoothly.
Would messing with the pristine LS 430 be insane to do? LS 430 PO was the old CEO of Greyhound bus who just passed away. Had the Lexus 80k mile service performed right before purchase at 78k miles.

One issue with that, the LS430 is a stupidly reliable vehicle....you're not going to get those luxury repair costs.

That's quite a find that car has some value if it's in good shape:

One issue with that, the LS430 is a stupidly reliable vehicle....you're not going to get those luxury repair costs.

That's quite a find that car has some value if it's in good shape:

Yes, I just saw that auction as well. Should give me a really good idea of the current value of my LS 430. Same trim and condition, they have just a little less miles, but mine has been 1 owner until now

Oddly LS430’s are incredibly undervalued, I don’t really understand it. They are a great car. Parts are all top shelf. There are some pretty stupid design issues like having to take the front bumper off to change the headlight bulbs on the later years and the 6 speed sealed transmission that was only used 2 years and never used in another vehicle but I would buy another one today if they sold them new.

Wow… the sound of that 3uz-fe in an 80 made my heart almost jump out my chest

Oddly LS430’s are incredibly undervalued, I don’t really understand it. They are a great car. Parts are all top shelf. There are some pretty stupid design issues like having to take the front bumper off to change the headlight bulbs on the later years and the 6 speed sealed transmission that was only used 2 years and never used in another vehicle but I would buy another one today if they sold them new.
So undervalued. I see one for sale in Minnesota right now. 88k miles 2nd owner with bumper damage asking $6,500… would be a mean swap

Yes, I just saw that auction as well. Should give me a really good idea of the current value of my LS 430. Same trim and condition, they have just a little less miles, but mine has been 1 owner until now

Scroll down and look at the past auctions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom