Possible to put 1972 steering gear box on a 69 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just finishing up on a frame off resto of my 69 fj40. I've got a lot of play and some dead spots in my steering gearbox and the pitman arm shaft threads have gotten pretty chewed up. I'm having trouble finding any rebuilt ones specifically for my year on the net. Is it possible to fit a 1972 gearbox/steering shaft on my 69? It seems the options to find those rebuilt are a little easier to find. If anyone has a 69 gearbox sitting on a shelf and it's still pretty tight, I'd be willing to buy it :).

I'm just finishing up on a frame off resto of my 69 fj40. I've got a lot of play and some dead spots in my steering gearbox and the pitman arm shaft threads have gotten pretty chewed up. I'm having trouble finding any rebuilt ones specifically for my year on the net. Is it possible to fit a 1972 gearbox/steering shaft on my 69? It seems the options to find those rebuilt are a little easier to find. If anyone has a 69 gearbox sitting on a shelf and it's still pretty tight, I'd be willing to buy it :).
One piece box from a 72 will fit, but the steering wheel splines are larger on the 72 so your '69 wheel wont fit.

Thanks @Jdc1 for the note on the larger steering wheel splines. Looking at SOR's parts listing, it looks like early '72 the steering column and gearbox were still one piece, like my '69. But, in late '72 they switched where the steering column was connected to the gearbox by a coupling. Aside from the larger splines on the steering wheel, I'm hoping that those later '73+ gearboxes would also work?

10/72 on switches to the 2 piece box. They’ll work but will need some modifications to column to adapt to the rag joint. You still column shifting?
Yeah, figured I'd need to find a new column for the rag adapter, but I can live with that. I wasn't sure if the pitman arm splines were the same. I've got a three speed shift on the floor, so shouldn't be an issue there.

Yeah, figured I'd need to find a new column for the rag adapter, but I can live with that. I wasn't sure if the pitman arm splines were the same. I've got a three speed shift on the floor, so shouldn't be an issue there.
It isn’t that simple, the firewall is different between the model years. If you are going through all of that might want to think about adding power steering.

You could also get an FJ60 or FJ80 power steering box and it would solve the loose steering of the FJ40 system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom