Steelies on GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huh, I just looked up the specs on the Tacoma/FJ Cruiser actual steel wheels, and they are only 29 lbs, compared to 27.5 lbs for the Fifteen52 Analog HD's. Pretty hard for "me" to justify the cost differential of some used steel wheels v the new Analogs. I was expecting a larger weight difference.

Huh, I just looked up the specs on the Tacoma/FJ Cruiser actual steel wheels, and they are only 29 lbs, compared to 27.5 lbs for the Fifteen52 Analog HD's. Pretty hard for "me" to justify the cost differential of some used steel wheels v the new Analogs. I was expecting a larger weight difference.

At the end of the day, fancy aluminum wheels serve 2 purposes: 1) to look pretty and 2) to decrease mass (so that you can justify purchasing the huge tires you've had your eye on :)

Tacoma steelys are 16x7 and weigh around 29-30lbs
Fifteen52 Analog HD 16x7.5 and weigh 23.46lbs (from website)
Shedding 6-7lbs of unsprung mass isn't too shabby if you ask me. Your engine certainly would not complain.

Since I haven’t seen many around, I thought it might help to post some pics with my GX460 on 17” FJ Cruiser steelies. Love them.

E0B3A801-1D13-4555-B8DC-ED8B2524C896.jpeg

E167B2C8-03CB-48FB-A70B-CC5E98BFA805.jpeg

Looks great! Now to see if we can get 16" Tacoma steelies to clear the calipers. Anyone tried? I'm always looking for a cheap single spare one on CL/Offerup, but don't wanna spend $75-$100 for a test fit...

Looks great! Now to see if we can get 16" Tacoma steelies to clear the calipers. Anyone tried? I'm always looking for a cheap single spare one on CL/Offerup, but don't wanna spend $75-$100 for a test fit...

I've been under the impression for a while, reading other posts, that 16" won't fit, but never tested it myself.

I've been under the impression for a while, reading other posts, that 16" won't fit, but never tested it myself.
At 16" O.D., it may depend on the profile of the wheel. One thing to remember that the material of forged wheels will be much thicker than pressed steel. So as an example, say the wall thickness of a forged wheel is .5", the steel wheel will probably be only .25" which may give an extra half an inch of clearance for the brake calipers.
But this is me just doing some armchair calculations. But until you try them, who knows?

The cool thing about the FJC steelies is they’ve got some dish with more offset, so they push the wheels out a bit compared to stock

At 16" O.D., it may depend on the profile of the wheel.

^^^ This! I'm a fan of the 16" because the like-for-like tire/wheel combo is almost always lights, and you have and extra ___" of sidewall for airing down. Guys in Australia running the 16 alloys on the Prado have to "shave" the caliper. But I've always wondered in the 16" Tacoma steel would fit as is. Someday when I'm bored, I'll pick up a single spare and try it out...

^^^ This! I'm a fan of the 16" because the like-for-like tire/wheel combo is almost always lights, and you have and extra ___" of sidewall for airing down. Guys in Australia running the 16 alloys on the Prado have to "shave" the caliper. But I've always wondered in the 16" Tacoma steel would fit as is. Someday when I'm bored, I'll pick up a single spare and try it out...
Oh, I agree. I’d rather have 16”, too, but wanted something that I knew would fit. Just went through a fitment nightmare with some Borbets on a 944 Turbo, so didn’t want to mess with that again.

Maybe if I get off my duff, I might pull out the spare tire under my wife's Taco and if it's a steelie and 16", try to bolt it on my rig. :meh:

Maybe if I get off my duff, I might pull out the spare tire under my wife's Taco and if it's a steelie and 16", try to bolt it on my rig. :meh:
Do it!!!!! :lol:

Ever get around to trying the 16" Steel wheel from the Taco?

Ever get around to trying the 16" Steel wheel from the Taco?
Still sitting on my duff...
In short, no. Actually I've completely forgotten about that!
Now I'm so booked up with work and projects, not sure when I'd get a chance to do it.

Still sitting on my duff...
In short, no. Actually I've completely forgotten about that!
Now I'm so booked up with work and projects, not sure when I'd get a chance to do it.
I totally understand that feeling! Thanks for the reply. I may try to snag one cheap and try it myself. Would be perfect for skinny snow tires.

Reactions: r2m
Since I haven’t seen many around, I thought it might help to post some pics with my GX460 on 17” FJ Cruiser steelies. Love them.

View attachment 2717161

View attachment 2717162
This looks great, I'm trying to get some 17 inch steelies right now on my 2012 GX and it has been an abject nightmare. Did you have to do anything to make these fit, like spacers, special bolts, voodoo etc? Because the ProComp and Vision steel wheels Ive tried so far are hitting the calipers every time

What size tires are you running in that pic? Stock suspension I assume? I've got a set of 17" fj steelies I'm about to install.
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R in 33x10.5R17 which is the SAE equivalent of 255/80R17. I love them for the most part.

I realized i never came back to this thread. These are my fj steelies.

0616221727.jpg

0615221635a.jpg

How much lift and did you get new upper control arms?
No lift and no uca rub. Totally stock with front and rear part of the front wheel well liner pushed as far back as possible. Stock offset with skinny tire allows you to max tire diameter. But dont even bother trying to put it in the spare location. I ratchet strapped it down and put my traction boards on top of the spare woth towels on them for a shelf for commuting.

0616221726a.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom