2003 HZJ105 in Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

P4281311.JPG

Also when I got the provincial inspection I asked the guy to charge up the ac, which he did. He also happened to be an ex cruiser mechanic and had an fj45 out back that he was showing me, so that was good luck on a shop I hadn't used. When I was out in Halifax the guys noted that it had pressure built up behind the ac charge/discharge caps, and were saying sometimes ac systems just leak through the schraeder charge/discharge valves enough to loose charge, and at a certain pressure the low pressure switch will prevent the compressor from engaging (my summary of what I heard at least).

So I asked the mechanic to replace the valves and recharge the system. The system had 0.6lbs and he evacuated it and charged it back up to spec (can't remember the number, looked it up in the FSM. Maybe 1.9lbs?). I tried the AC button with no luck, and then he used his powerprobe to energize the compressor. It fired right up with a poof of dust and started blowing cold. So a wiring or switch/relay issue I guess. Anyone have any ideas? Also, that powerprobe was a neat tool - now on the want list.

I have not, so far, had any AC problems on the 105. Which is fortunate because it has been in the mid-40's here all Summer.

However, I've had a number of recent problems with my AC on the 80s. It has usually turned out to be the amplifier module. On my 2007 it sits inside the integrated AC controller and display. Mine does not have the push buttons, but rather has knobs like earlier 100's.

1661492678433.png

The part number for the AC amplifier board on my (diesel) 2007 is 88650-60780. I assume it is specific to the diesel. Were it me, I would go to the junk yard and find a plain old 100 module and just try it and see what happens. The engine speed adjustment of the AC will be wrong because yours is also a diesel but at least you will have found the issue.

This post may be helpful to you in visualizing.

Good call. Partsouq has my 105 having the same part number for the ac amplifier, and toyodiy says UZJ100 also uses the same parts number. Will see if I can track one (and any other ac electrical crossover parts) down from a 100, and also intending to work through the fsm troubleshooting at some point.

These 105's are really awesome. Wish I could have one!!
You can! You'd just have to register it across the border and only use it 30 days at a time in NY. Canada has a 15 year rule compared to our 25 year rule.

You can! You'd just have to register it across the border and only use it 30 days at a time in NY. Canada has a 15 year rule compared to our 25 year rule.
Yeah, but where to register it in Canada? Need an address and all.

What a great story! Can I call dibs for when this rig can be imported into the USA? 😂

You could get your own 1998 next year, plenty available out of Australia if you are ok with RHD and Australian driven, probably on the beach and through rivers... Too early to know what to do with this once it is 25, I think it is a keeper unless maybe I could find a LHD dual cab hzj79 to bring to Canada in 2027 (I think the factory dual cabs started in 2012).

Not much to update on this. Still just been driving it; it covers miles so much easier than any of the other Toyota diesels I have had. Had to drive about 250 km yesterday for work and I was sick so didnt want to take a shared truck, so drove the 105. I stopped enroute to go up an FSR to figure out the lockers and if they are working (the lights do not operate how I have read they do on an 80 series). On the 80's I have read that the locker lights go solid when engaged, but on this 105 goes from a long flash when engaging to a faster flash when engaged (plus the ABS off light comes on). They definitely work, but I am not sure if the lights should go solid on these. Anyone know? A bit irrelevant as long as they are working, but I would like to get everything 100%. I cycled them a number of times just to free up anything that might have been unused for a while - the PO in Albania was an older guy who I suspect did not use the lockers during his ownership.

I wanted a HZJ105. I like vehicles where body parts can be found locally, and I wanted more headroom than the Hilux or a 70 series
Way cool rig, but does it really have more headroom? I've sat in a 100 series and found it to be less than 80 series. Also seemed a bit less than my old 4Runner, which is perhaps equivalent to a hilux.

Way cool rig, but does it really have more headroom? I've sat in a 100 series and found it to be less than 80 series. Also seemed a bit less than my old 4Runner, which is perhaps equivalent to a hilux.

It's the sunroof on most 100's that sacrifices headroom.

I have never been in a 100 with a sunroof, but I can tell you my head hits the ceiling in a 3rd gen pickup (i.e. my old LN106 hilux), a 4th gen 4runner with sunroof, 3rd gen 4runner with non sunroof, a current rav4 with sunroof and for non-toyota imports an l300 delica. I almost bought a 1HDT swapped pzj77 with no sunroof a few years back but backed out mainly because of the seat to ceiling measurement which suggested my head would hit. I have plenty of headroom in this one, it would probably be marginal with a sunroof though. I can take a measurement if anyone cares enough to bother. As I think I mentioned, I'm only 6'ish (maybe 5'11" after hunching in the hilux for 5 years...), but have a long torso.

Yeah, but where to register it in Canada? Need an address and all.
If you or others are interested in doing this with a LHD import (or just need help with storage in Canada) on the west coast I could potentially help; have looked into it a bit as a side gig-type item and have at least one way to do it legitimately figured out. Feel free to reach out if you want to seriously discuss.

Last edited:
Just a small clarification: all of Canada EXCEPT Quebec for RHD. Quebec thinks of itself as a whole other world and so they think RHD cars create infinitely more road dangers and the moment an RHD car goes on Quebec roads, accidents literally triple, so they’ve banned RHD cars less than 25 years, same as the US. Does not apply to LHD, thankfully.

How is the heat in the 105 series? We have a lx470 and it’s really good. Would like to upgrade to one of these

4 more months and 1998 105s will be legal state side.

Something people seem to forget, it is month/year of production. So this month a 01/1998 can be imported butt nothing newer till next month which is then a 02/1998. That makes finding the right Cruiser to import many times more difficult, at this time.

Cheers

How is the heat in the 105 series? We have a lx470 and it’s really good. Would like to upgrade to one of these
Interesting question since I've not had issue with "enough heat." But I'd imagine given the same body, the larger, less efficient engine (4.7 Gas) would produce more heat. Plus not all 105's have heated seats nor rear heater. So, I'd guess your old LX470 would be the winner, in this case.

With the 1hz I'd say it's standard for a diesel. Takes a little to warm up and then it's heat... It's been cold here for sea level lately and no complaints. Mine (gx trim) has the rear heater as well, but I think that may not have come on the base models. Lots of hzj105 in Russia, Mongolia, etc., it's definately built considering cold winters. Edit: but may vary depending on the market it comes from. This one seems to be a cold weather spec version, heater specs may vary from the middle east or Australia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom