Downey 22 Gallon Fuel Cells Available Again!!!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Downey

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok Kimosabi's, been busy selling H.D. skid plates while my rear tank "Molder" was NOT casting/molding my nylon rear fuel cells. My solid steel mold (actually larger/heavier than the tank) has to be counter- balanced on their Roto Molding machine, sooooo they have only been willing to mold my tanks when they have one of their own heavy parts ready to mold, counter-balancing the machine. To close the gap on the past 3 months that they were not willing to mold my tanks I just placed a whooping order they could not refuse, sooooo get ready to order-up if you've been waiting for a tank.

97453CDD-D415-4C1C-A702-B968211A73A8.jpeg

image-1.jpg

IMG_8439.JPG

Jim, My tank is bad could that fuel cell be used as my primary and have the fuel gauge work with it.
How much with a skid plate. I had your old one 30+ years ago.
Is your molding facility in what used to be Orthomedics in Yorba Linda. They had a rotory blow molding machine. My wife worked for them in their Riverside office.

I think many use my rear fuel cell as their one-and-only tank. Sender depends upon your year model, if 9/72-newer it is fairly easy to use a stock sending unit (modified) for stock gauge. If 9/72-older almost impossible to use a stock sending unit because of the 7 volt drop, unless you are using my rear tank as your one-and-only, and don't have to mix stock tank sending with rear tank sending. I always tell buyers to use the Centroid "electronic sender", much much nicer. Newest batch of fuel cells will be $739.95, plus postage, include 22 gallon tank, filler neck/panel/hose/clamps/bolts, mounting strap kit/bolts, top aluminum plates/gasket/bolts with fuel pick-up/return fittings (as shown above). Tanks come with mounting straps if you don't buy the aluminum skid plate. The aluminum skid plates are $290.00, plus $10.00 shipping carton, plus postage. Tanks probably won't be in, machined, and ready to ship for a couple weeks yet.

My tanks were originally molded by Fuel Safe (who practically ruined my $$$ mold), then a zillion years ago we switched to Jaz Products, who repaired my mold, and has molded the tanks for the past 20-30 years. Never used Orthomedics.

Last edited:
Did you also want the H/D/ belly skid plate, I had you down on the list of interested in one of those as well ???

Put me on the list with skid plate.

I think many use my rear fuel cell as their one-and-only tank. Sender depends upon your year model, if 9/72-newer it is fairly easy to use a stock sending unit (modified) for stock gauge. If 9/72-older almost impossible to use a stock sending unit because of the 7 volt drop, unless you are using my rear tank as your one-and-only, and don't have to mix stock tank sending with rear tank sending. I always tell buyers to use the Centroid "electronic sender", much much nicer.
I have an 11/69 and I want to get my seats down because I am tall. Would use rear tank as my only tank. The sending unit has been one of my big concerns with this. How can it be made to work with the stock gauges if it were the only tank... or would I need to go aftermarket?

^^^^^ You have to use a stock sender with a stock dash gauge. You'd want to mount your stock sender into my tank with the float arm/pointing rearward, on the center line, so that float always sits where the fuel is the deepest, and the gauge doesn't swing wildly when gas is sloshing inside the tank. Then you'd have to lengthen the swing arm on your stock sender for my deeper tank.

So, this is a rotomilled version of the old metal aux tanks? Are the walls thick enough to prevent the partial collapse like the plastic replacements for the OE tanks? Trying to determine the best solution for increasing fuel capacity without running dual tanks.

So, this is a rotomilled version of the old metal aux tanks? Are the walls thick enough to prevent the partial collapse like the plastic replacements for the OE tanks? Trying to determine the best solution for increasing fuel capacity without running dual tanks.
My tank is a copy of the original Con-Ferr 22 gallon steel tanks, in fact my aluminum skid plates fit either tank. Difference is the steel tank is 16 gauge steel, rigid, rips easily, and my Roto Molded tank is approx 1/4" wall thickness, nylon (not rigid), laboratory tested against the steel tank, steel tank ripped open during pressure testing, my tank dented, did not puncture, then dent popped back out- - -soooooo literally stronger than a steel tank, no seams, no rust- - -home run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom