What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (129 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love it, especially the move to pair with the 10 speed. there was talk at one time to offer a kit. Is this still being considered?
Man, this is a great reminder I need to stop spending $$ on silly crap and get saving for this..... Especially getting caught on I-70 @ Eisenhower a few weeks back maxing at 35MPH up the hill to the tunnel...

We have considered selling the adapter and motor mount package, but currently aren't offering it yet. This would essentially put the engine in the right spot where you can re-use your stock drivelines with perfect angles and front driveshaft clearance to the engine oil pan. At this time we are just taking names for a wait list to see where demand is.

Made a video on a cool 80 build the shop just finished.

LT 6.2L V8 and 10 speed automatic is a winning combination. Listen to @torfab explain why this is the perfect match for an 80 series.

Well, I know who I'm going to when I can't source parts for a full rebuild on the 6 cyl ;)

Rotated the tires...first time doing that on a vehicle myself, believe it or not. Bought a (relatively) cheap Harbor Freight impact wrench to help the job go faster, and it definitely did.

Very glad I did the job when I did, because I decided to check control arm/knuckle bolt and caliper bolt torque while I had the wheels off. Found a knuckle stud/bolt on the left side completely gone! And two other bolts loose. Yikes.

I had a spare, but I want to be sure it's installed properly (never done the stud itself). Gonna have my local stealership service guys check it for me.
Decided NOT to use the stealership...instead, read a few more threads, got new bolt, washers and nut, some blue Loctite, and an E12 torx socket and did it properly myself.

Installed a powered subwoofer under the driver's seat. After much research, I went with the Blaupunkt GTH280. It was smack in the middle of the price/specs/good reviews venn diagram, and the dimensions seemed right for the small space where I wanted to install.

Overall the install was very straightforward. My rig is an Aussie import that has the factory auxiliary power outlet block on the opposite of the engine bay from the battery.
IMG_20220901_140046133.jpg

There's Accessory, Ignition, Battery, and Earth (ground) connections. Acc and ig have 10 amp fuses, battery has 20 amp. I opted to use the battery connection, as it's exactly like connecting to the positive terminal on the battery itself. Using this outlet block made the wiring super easy, as it's a straight shot back to the main driver's side firewall grommet through to behind the dash.
IMG_20220901_140058104.jpg
IMG_20220901_140130429.jpg

IMG_20220905_092613991.jpg

Four simple bolts and the driver's seat is removed and camping out in the backseat for a bit.
IMG_20220904_181124642.jpg

...to be continued...

Last edited:
Installed a powered subwoofer under the driver's seat. After much research, I went with the Blaupunkt GTH280. I was smack in the middle of the price/specs/good reviews venn diagram, and the dimensions seemed right for the small space where I wanted to install.

Overall the install was very straightforward. My rig is an Aussie import that has the factory auxiliary power outlet block on the opposite of the engine bay from the battery.
View attachment 3109372
There's Accessory, Ignition, Battery, and Earth (ground) connections. Acc and ig have 10 amp fuses, battery has 20 amp. I opted to use the battery connection, as it's exactly like connecting to the positive terminal on the battery itself. Using this outlet block made the wiring super easy, as it's a straight shot back to the main driver's side firewall grommet through to behind the dash.
View attachment 3109377View attachment 3109378
View attachment 3109380
Four simple bolts and the driver's seat is removed and camping out in the backseat for a bit.
View attachment 3109391
...to be continued...
Positioned and planning the wiring. One of the rear mounting points for the seat made the perfect grounding point for the amp. There was just barely enough room beneath the seat for the amp to fit without making contact with the seat and for the seat to have full range of movement. I am definitely glad I measured the spot and used that to guide the purchase, since nothing even slightly larger would have fit. Because of the tight fit, and overall weight, it's not going anywhere. Therefore I opted not to drill into the floor to mount, but instead used outdoor rated velcro.
IMG_20220904_181135848.jpg
IMG_20220905_160704119.jpg

Wired up and testing...the process of removing the dash to access the head unit was the most time consuming part of the install. That plus hunting online to confirm which wire of the PO-installed Clarion NX316AU head unit was the remote power-on cable.
IMG_20220905_131401_01.jpg

Completed power cable, with inline fuse, fully sheathed...
IMG_20220905_173658472.jpg

Remote level control mounted to the center console...the blue is not a wire, but the glow from the power light on the amp.
IMG_20220905_173504185.jpg

All in all I am very pleased! Really rounded out the sound profile, adding that lower end that was missing from the other speakers. I still have some tuning to do, adjusting gain and learning about low-pass filters, etc.
For those that are curious, I replaced the stock speakers about a year ago. The rear door speakers with Pioneer 5.25" TS-G520, and the two smaller speakers in the dash with Pioneer 4" TS-G1020S, both of which were direct fit, although some minor modding was needed on the rear doors in order to use the OEM grilles.

Last edited:
The wife and I spent a few days wandering between Lake City, Silverton, Ouray and Telluride, over the passes. Some trail riding, shopping and brewery "tours", everybody was happy. Nothing difficult, Engineer, Yankee Boy Basin, Imogene, Ophir and Cinnamon. I pointed out Black Bear from Imogene and the boss said, "Hell no". After spending 4 days riding trails and 20ish hours on the highway, I've been told to replace the seats. Got to love it when the wife tells you to go spend money on your Cruiser.

View attachment 3085702

View attachment 3085728

View attachment 3085729

View attachment 3085730

View attachment 3085735
Her wish is my command, out with the Subaru seats and in with Scheel-mann.
1662669740585.png

Neither of those have a 10 speed which makes up for a lack of whatever.

Example, look how much faster a stock 5.0 mustang is with the a10 vs the a6.
How does that 10 speed compare in size to the 4 and 6 speed transmissions? I am looking at simplicity of bolt in and not much hacking the transmission tunnel.

Soon. Anyone ever thrown a birthday party for their truck? Like actually?

View attachment 3109867
Wouldn't a birthday be based on the date of manufacture? I call them mileage celebration days!!!!! I usually spoil the rig with any past due maintenance, drinks in the form of petroleum products, and some kind of gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom