tire question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am running 315/75R16 on the stock wheels with stock gearing. Gas mileage is about 13 mpg. On the flats there is plenty of power for me, but with any moderate grade, you notice it right away. It's more of an issue on the highway than in town driving. My v8 4Runner with 33s and stock gearing feels like a corvette compared to the LC.

I

think you need to adjust your rear proportioning valve with a lift. Did you lift the rig after switching to 35s?
I have no problem stopping w/ 37s and i have a 3FE and drum brakes...something is not working correctly...
I had the lift before the 35's.

How do you adjust the rear proportioning valve? I still have the LSPV and wasn't aware that it was adjustable.

When you are running the 3000-4000 RPM, do you see an increase in oil consumption?

When I am running 3400 RPM consistently (about 85 MPH interstate driving) mine uses about 1 qt of oil in 200 miles. I currently have 332K miles on the truck and it has 187K on it since the head gasket and head was rebuilt. Probably due for valve seals, but is it keeping the oil on top of the head enough that the PCV system is sucking the oil?
Same here. My oil consumption goes way up when I am running higher RPM's. Notice it a lot when I use low range for engine braking on long downhill sections.

I am running 315/75R16 on the stock wheels with stock gearing. Gas mileage is about 13 mpg. On the flats there is plenty of power for me, but with any moderate grade, you notice it right away. It's more of an issue on the highway than in town driving. My v8 4Runner with 33s and stock gearing feels like a corvette compared to the LC.

I drive my dad’s stock 2uz 04 tundra sometimes when doing maintenance, and that thing is an absolute race car & so smooth. I have to remember to feather the pedal, or I’m flying off the line.

How do you adjust the rear proportioning valve?

When you are running the 3000-4000 RPM, do you see an increase in oil consumption?

When I am running 3400 RPM consistently (about 85 MPH interstate driving) mine uses about 1 qt of oil in 200 miles. I currently have 332K miles on the truck and it has 187K on it since the head gasket and head was rebuilt. Probably due for valve seals, but is it keeping the oil on top of the head enough that the PCV system is sucking the oil?
When I bought my rig it had 315s over 4.88s. So more rpm at a given speed than after I went to 37s. I did not notice any change in oil consumption when my average rpm dropped. We always do valve stem seals with every H G job. In about a dozen of these the oil consumption has dropped significantly with no other change in tire size or gearing.

Most of these rigs that wheel hard are running the low range underdrive gear set.
So that’s not stock gearing on 37s

I run 5:29s, low range underdrive gears and the 10% underdrive final drive gears.
Barely adequate for the hard-core wheeling that I due.
I am on 39s with a 3” lift and lots of cutting 😆

All documented in my build thread with lots of videos of the hard-core wheeling I like to do.

I was a big fan of Tools and hope to make it out your way to wheel with you,Richard and the rest of the Crew some day !

I hear you guys have good trails out there.

Cheers

So that’s not stock gearing on 37s

I run 5:29s, low range underdrive gears and the 10% underdrive final drive gears.
Barely adequate for the hard-core wheeling that I due.
I am on 39s with a 3” lift and lots of cutting 😆

All documented in my build thread with lots of videos of the hard-core wheeling I like to do.

I was a big fan of Tools and hope to make it out your way to wheel with you,Richard and the rest of the Crew some day !

I hear you guys have good trails out there.

Cheers
We have about 2500 miles of trail, not roads, in the Tonto. Must be a few good ones in there somewhere? Most. Folks complain about street/highway performance with sockers over 37s. They can't understand that you can shift down manually and push the rpm up over 4000.. mine sees 4500+ in 1st and 2nd gear just to merge on the freeway most days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom