Vintage Hub Removal Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all, I purchased some hubs from @KY Longhunter and we are looking for info on how the spline adapters come off the axle shaft. I am far-away from him so not like I can drive over to help remove them. He sent me the hub housings but there is a spline adapter still attached to the axle that I need. Has anyone removed this style hub before? I still need the part circled in yellow.
Thanks

20220816_132400.jpg

20220816_132354.jpg

IMG_20220816_125134.jpg

IMG_20220816_123114_01.jpg

no snap rings on the axle? the lock ring appears to be the same kind that warn barrel hubs use, its rounded and uses set screws to hold itself to a thinner base on the inner side.

no snap rings on the axle? the lock ring appears to be the same kind that warn barrel hubs use, its rounded and uses set screws to hold itself to a thinner base on the inner side.
Will update with new pics.

Those are cool looking. Definitely need some more pics!

In the bottom picture, is that a detent ball? Maybe there is a grove inside the gear that would allow it to slip past the ball?
Just wild guessing!

In the bottom picture, is that a detent ball? Maybe there is a grove inside the gear that would allow it to slip past the ball?
Just wild guessing!
It does look like one but not sure how that work on the shaft. This is becoming something of a mystery. I would try the other side and see if it is more agreeable to slipping off. Maybe this side is just stuck. @Living in the Past , any suggestions?

It does look like one but not sure how that work on the shaft. This is becoming something of a mystery. I would try the other side and see if it is more agreeable to slipping off. Maybe this side is just stuck. @Living in the Past , any suggestions?

Not a clue. Never had a locking hub like this. What appears to be a small steel ball where a snap ring would go is interesting. The end of the driveshaft. Is threaded. Is it possible use a puller to shaft further out and remove that ball if in fact it is a ball. Another idea is use a puller and see if you can force it the rest of the way off. Last idea is remove the two nuts on the spindle and see if can pull the hub far enough out to access the bolts hold the spindle to the knuckle and box up the that part. Would assume a locking hub this old is a ball and claw? No Birfield to deal with. Guess could cut the shaft but that would be a chore.

Not a clue. Never had a locking hub like this. What appears to be a small steel ball where a snap ring would go is interesting. The end of the driveshaft. Is threaded. Is it possible use a puller to shaft further out and remove that ball if in fact it is a ball. Another idea is use a puller and see if you can force it the rest of the way off. Last idea is remove the two nuts on the spindle and see if can pull the hub far enough out to access the bolts hold the spindle to the knuckle and box up the that part. Would assume a locking hub this old is a ball and claw? No Birfield to deal with. Guess could cut the shaft but that would be a chore.
I believe the rig is a 65 IIRC. MAYBE @65swb45 has a suggestion or could tag another well educated in the old stuff member 😉

There are 3 or 4 of those detent balls in the shaft. If you pull on the outer sleeve slowly, you can feel the balls find an inner groove.

Also, the end of the shaft receives approx a 6mm hex key.

There are 3 or 4 of those detent balls in the shaft. If you pull on the outer sleeve slowly, you can feel the balls find an inner groove.

Also, the end of the shaft receives approx a 6mm hex key.
The item with the blue arrow must be part of the hub assembly. Once that piece and the longer sliding piece come off I am betting the axle shaft will be the same as any other coarse spline ball & claw shaft. Maybe the hubs originally came with an SST special service tool that was able to press in all 4 balls at the same time. This is actually intriguing and interesting how this works. Alex, I appreciate you spending the additional time with recovering these pieces so I can have the complete hub assemblies, thank you. There will be some additional funds for your trouble & additional time when this is all resolved.

1662562942344.png

I wondered if there was a ultra slim sleeve that might slide in between outer sleeve and inner piece which would allow detent balls to compress into the body and thus allow sleeve to slide off.

I'm thinking the hex key cap is retaining the lockout part w/the balls to the end of the axle, or it is forcing the the detent balls out and against the lockout sliding sleeve. Either way it needs to be removed.

Take the hex key screw out , if it will come out, if not you can pull the sleeve out all the way, take the stake nut off run nuts out as far as you can it looks like you can then remove axle assembly with hub, pull the whole thing out, brif, hub, inner as an assembly, deal with it on the bench.
As noted below I forgot to add taking the knuckle loose as well, remove trunions, steering arm on top , tie rod, and brakes, yes the axle will come out with all attached, or you could just remove spindle once hub is out and pull axle, not necessary to remove knuckle unless you want to.

Last edited:
Take the hex key screw out , if it will come out, if not you can pull the sleeve out all the way, take the stake nut off run nuts out as far as you can it looks like you can then remove axle assembly with hub, pull the whole thing out, brif, hub, inner as an assembly, deal with it on the bench.
Bench over grassy field any day :clap:

So we backed the 2 large nuts off, including staked washer. Your saying if I use a puller or something the whole axle shaft should pull out?

So we backed the 2 large nuts off, including staked washer. Your saying if I use a puller or something the whole axle shaft should pull out?
I hope we don't end up shipping the whole axle shaft :D........but we'll see

You can pull the upper and lower trunion bearings caps off along with the hardware on the backside of the knuckle and pull the whole knuckle and axle off, or you can remove the drum then remove the shoes, then you might be able the remove the 6 spindle bolts and remove the spindle and assembly off complete. The axle should come with it. Have you tried to removed the socket head screw yet?

As noted above, I forgot to detail the knuckle removal items, I guess I just take it for granted that people are familiar with the process, Hub, birf, inner, all come out together, be aware, there is a flat spot on birf that lines up with bottom of trunion so the birf will come out, just rotate and pull, if it don't come, rotate and pull, youll get them to line up and it will slide out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom