Unobtainium (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We met with them early last month. I don’t suspect orders under 1000 units will get them moving but we’ll see.They discontinued a dozen part numbers in the last 6 months fwiw, BMT-230 is crucial as are some of the clutch components now NLA.
Sometimes I wonder if it’s a loosing battle. Maybe all we’re doing is extending the inevitable. I hope not…. Thanks Kurt for all you do keeping these old Cruisers on the road.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s a loosing battle. Maybe all we’re doing is extending the inevitable. I hope not…. Thanks Kurt for all you do keeping these old Cruisers on the road.

While I totally get the emotional upset over them discontinuing old part numbers, keep in mind they’re adding far more new part numbers to the system for relevant new applications. For example we’re starting to stock some of their 200 series and LX 570 components. Supply/demand I suppose :(

While I totally get the emotional upset over them discontinuing old part numbers, keep in mind they’re adding far more new part numbers to the system for relevant new applications. For example we’re starting to stock some of their 200 series and LX 570 components. Supply/demand I suppose :(
I definitely understand the supply and demand idea, it’s the nature of the beast, but it doesn’t help those of us trying to keep the old ones on the road. Keep fighting for us. 👍🏻

Last edited:
1662273095464.png

Last edited:
Not 😎 Matt. Ten times more likely that the supply of ANYTHING would get tapped from RockAuto or Amazon, now that you can buy Advics there.
And if any particular vendor happens to get a stock of something, it doesn’t imply any particular intent other than to be a reliable source.

@73FJ40 & @65swb45 ,

- My point of thread post #3025 was to suggest my facts based opinion that in this particular parts application case maybe a newer , more modern design
technology and the various features it represents and delivers to the end product user are simply that , much better entirely .....

- i personally have installed both products in recent years several times , and time after time again in the short term or not so short term fluid leaks from both the
exterior mounted safety sensors , as well as between one or both of the reservoirs because the old-skool cast iron pre-maturely begins to corrode and jacks up
the copper crush rings used to seal plastic to cast iron ........

- you don't find these outdated design features or sources of materials mating or joined together on the unit in my post #3025 above .

Last edited:
@73FJ40 & @65swb45 ,

- My point of thread post #3025 was to suggest my facts based opinion that in this particular parts application case maybe a newer , more modern design
technology and the various features it represents and delivers to the end product user are simply that , much better entirely .....

- And that ( the physical product itself ) was in some way , ( i personally absolutely think it was responsible to be krystal klear here ) for the subsequent Disc. / NLA
status of the older stone-age-design technology product at the end of the day ....

- i personally have installed both products in recent years several times , and time after time again in the short term or not so short term fluid leaks from both the
exterior mounted safety sensors , as well as between one or both of the reservoirs because the old-skool cast iron pre-maturely begins to corrode and jacks up
the copper crush rings used to seal plastic to cast iron ........

- well ...........

- you don't find these outdated design features or sources of materials mating or joined together on the unit in my post #3025 above do you ?

- my comments were in NO way intended or implied to be negative towards ANY fellow vendors whatsoever in any way shape or form .

matt

"Hit birds flutter"

Am I mistaken, or did you call out Cruiseroutfitters in your original post that you subsequently edited 41 minutes ago (according to this thread).

If you want to speculate about the business decisions of a multi-national company like Advics, you shouldn't pick on reputable vendors that serve our community with distinction. Boycott Advics by refusing to stock or offer their products.

Last edited:
We met with them early last month. I don’t suspect orders under 1000 units will get them moving but we’ll see.They discontinued a dozen part numbers in the last 6 months fwiw, BMT-230 is crucial as are some of the clutch components now NLA.
Looks like the '75 master cylinder (BMT-060) is also on the way out.

It wouldn't be difficult if a few Cruiser vendors get together and commit to 1000 units of BMT-230. If you organize something I'll surely sign up for it.

IMG_1735.jpg

To answer your originally posed question.

No, I don't think the ability to order a part 24/7 makes a manufacture choose to discontinue that very part due to low global volume. If anything the opposite. Not sure what else to say there.

Looks like the '75 master cylinder (BMT-060) is also on the way out.

It wouldn't be difficult if a few Cruiser vendors get together and commit to 1000 units of BMT-230. If you organize something I'll surely sign up for it.

View attachment 3108567

Definitely worth investigating. I'll fire off an email.

Anyone know the difference between the BMT-057 (71-74 FJ40) and the BMT-060 ('75 only)? All are 4 wheel drum ... Perhaps just how the pipes bolt up?

Anyone know the difference between the BMT-057 (71-74 FJ40) and the BMT-060 ('75 only)? All are 4 wheel drum ... Perhaps just how the pipes bolt up?

Line orientation, reservoir size and switch location. Internals are different too. Both are 1" bore and have the residual valve for drums.

1662597762328.png

1662597812734.png

1662597769375.png

1662597837606.png

Definitely worth investigating. I'll fire off an email.
A while back I wrote them sort of an austere email from a heritage angle, but I suppose the bean counters will say, "show me the money".
Here's what I wrote:

Your reply is much appreciated. I fully understand Aisin is a large multi-national corporation, and it assesses its business needs on a broad scale. I came into this appeal with realistic expectations; please allow me to add a little context.

The application affected by this part isn’t any 40-year-old vehicle. It’s arguably one of the most significant vehicles in Toyota history, the Land Cruiser FJ40. In fact, Toyota recently introduced a Heritage Parts Program to bring back previously discontinued parts to support this model. Some Aisin products may already be in the target scope of this program.

Aisin has been a key contributor to the Land Cruiser's legendary reliability. I can attest to it as an end-user of BMT-230 for the past 30 years. It’s this kind of experience that builds a loyal customer base spanning decades. The particular significance of BMT-230 is that it supports the ’76 to ’80 model years with sought after disc brakes. These are generally the most valued Land Cruisers today.

Aisin has been an inseparable part of the Land Cruiser story. I believe this is a case where the value of a product can’t be easily quantified by sales figures alone. I’m hoping a Fortune Global 500 company can allocate a tiny corner to this special heritage, or perhaps designate a special orders program for vendors to purchase parts like this with a specified MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity).

Thank you for your consideration.

A while back I wrote them sort of an austere email from a heritage angle, but I suppose the bean counters will say, "show me the money".
Here's what I wrote:

Great words.

Realistically we have two options. AISIN/ADVICS sees the business case (1000 units) to continue production or we lobby Koyari-San to add it to the GR Heritage program I've been involved in. Obviously better for retailers like you and I if ADVICS will spool up, but good for the community it there is an option from the oversee GR program. TBD

Great words.

Realistically we have two options. AISIN/ADVICS sees the business case (1000 units) to continue production or we lobby Koyari-San to add it to the GR Heritage program I've been involved in. Obviously better for retailers like you and I if ADVICS will spool up, but good for the community it there is an option from the oversee GR program. TBD

It certainly falls well under the "stop" category. :hmm:

Great words.

At the end of the day, either option will have the same source, except the GR Program will add a markup (likely 100%) and has an expiration date.

OEM Toyota 16361-60090 has died. We snagged a few of the last ones. Individual dealers may have some in stock but I'm told depots are empty. It died overseas this last year too.

1663802939110.png

OEM Toyota 16361-60090 has died. We snagged a few of the last ones. Individual dealers may have some in stock but I'm told depots are empty. It died overseas this last year too.

View attachment 3120588
Wow. I placed a stocking order for them 3 weeks ago and just picked them up yesterday. Oh well.

It's only going to get worse. I imagine that almost all the remaining stock for these things is what's left. In other words no longer produced.

It is not at all financially responsible for a manufacturer to support a product line where the very newest examples are 40 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom