What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Florida Log - Sunday - 21:46 - The Camp

I woke up with an incredible amount of gratitude… grateful I didn’t need to deal with a black bear in the night. I had been camping, you see; exploring Ocala National Forest. It was late afternoon and I was driving down trails, searching for an opening in the tree growth on either side of me, where I could squeeze-in and out of sight from the main trail. I passed a slight opening to my right, with an unused & overgrown four-wheeler trail behind it. I hoped out and walked the area. Immediately, I noticed a group of various tracks heading down into the overgrown trail, bear, coyote and either deer or wild hog. The prints were fresh, crisp! It had rained the night before and they would have been washed out if they were any older.

Forty feet down the old four-wheeler trail I came to a clearing and a literal fork in the road; on one side, the trail kept going, and 50° to my right, ran an obvious game trail. I was smack dab in the middle of a forest-animal highway junction! A confluence of critters if you will. And as the great Roland Tembo (of Jurassic Park fame) once said

“This is a game trail, Mr. Ludlow. Carnivores hunt on game trails. Do you want to set up base camp or a buffet?”

I set the table and rang the dinner bell; in hindsight of-course.

Despite the obvious black bear tracks, the location was perfect, and I set up camp anyway. Deciding that I’ll play it safe by not cooking dinner that night. I also build a small campfire, as animals have a natural tendency to avoid smoke.

Leaving the chili pepper & onion marinating steak in the fridge, I opted for peeling a can of sardines in oil. So as to minimize the scent of food, you see. And as I held the open tin in my left hand and used the right to dig out a hoagie roll, I dripped the fishy oil all over the ground, the tailgate and myself. Poop! 💩

With the idea of minimizing my scent flushed down the proverbial toilet, I tossed a foil-wrapped potato into the fire and skewered some hotdogs onto a sharp stick. A rustic dinner, if you will.

An hour later, with a thunderstorm rolling in, I climbed up into the man-child fort that I erected - marketing folk call it a roof top tent - and went to sleep. I’m a light sleeper, mind you, the idea of a bruin walking into camp was heavy on my mind. Maybe around 11 pm, I was roused by the sound of something in camp. My body was tired, barely responding (no pun intended), I manage to roll to my side and, in an attempt to shoo off the intruder, I bellowed “ooohhhaaua!” from my slumber.

It ran off and I gave in to the welcoming embrace of sleep. No other beasts bothered me that night.

FE6977F6-C5AA-4911-A244-8E0133FA1F22.jpeg
4F4C3BE5-A577-41CB-86AF-1B9ED5161A1A.jpeg
AF3F3587-617A-4246-B2AF-FD7B2F406875.jpeg
248C318D-EA28-4FB6-AD54-57895EC8E9F4.jpeg
3F53B958-D505-426D-911D-FC9841516AC2.jpeg

Last edited:
Put on a set of the Magnaflow direct fit cats....no more rattles and whistles...Certainly not the cheapest option out there, but i like the more compact size over the OEM version. Also waiting on some White Knuckle sliders, so made sure the threads in the frame were nice and clean...

Looks nice! Got the same ones and they should be coming in tomorrow. Was curious how they were going to look.

Did MF take the factory cats for their $75 rebate...?

TRAIL TAILOR 4340 Chromoly Full Float Rear Axles are now available.

On sale for opening release.

Jason
TT

View attachment 3105945

View attachment 3105946

View attachment 3105947

View attachment 3105948

Damn!!!! I need to snap one of my nitro axles now.

Damn!!!! I need to snap one of my nitro axles now.

There's a reason I had these made. @raisinhell2 , many other members and I have chatted about the issues and with as many 80 axle/ coil conversions I'm doing with the 60 series guys it made sense to move forward with these and share for the 80 guys as well.

J

Installed a PCV catch can since all the cool kids are doing it. Also prepping to road trip to Grand Junction from LA next week, so need to check bearing preload and put my hood heat vent risers on before driving off across the desert.

View attachment 3096009
View attachment 3096010
Trip complete. A little over 2000 miles total. ~750 miles each way in one 12 hour shot each + ~500 miles exploring all around Grand Junction with a mixed bag of terrain and road conditions. We found some pretty fun stuff on disused oil/gas roads that we probably shouldn't have been on, but man its tough to turn around when "just around the corner" goes for another hundred miles.

Few random thoughts before pics:

I picked a hot week to make the trip. Truck was fine, but I get all mentally worked up anytime I hit ~210* on my aftermarket coolant gauge. That caused some sweaty awfulness this afternoon coming back between Primm and Barstow when ambient temps were over 110*. Probably could have just ran the AC the whole way...

I ran high tire pressure the whole trip 41psi in the rear and 38psi up front. It was more unpleasant offroad, but there was a lot of ground to cover and not much time so less time spent airing up/down was the ticket. Other than my teeth rattling loose, the only other thing of note was MUCH worse stopping/cornering ability with tires aired up that much. PS- Nothing scientific about those pressures, I just eyeballed the sidewall bulge to match front/rear and figured that did something worthwhile. Or not. I have no idea.

Zero issues with the truck the whole trip. As you all appreciate, its just cool to be able to drive 1/3 across the country, flog the truck across god's country for 3 days, and then drive back across the country. That goes a long way toward making up for not being able to go 80mph uphill like every other car on the road.

Its going to be a good day
PXL_20220831_131138197.jpg

Nice place to visit
PXL_20220901_230536445.jpg

Pinstripes complimentary
PXL_20220901_191411322.jpg

Where's Waldo?
PXL_20220902_224940566.jpg

When its hot...shade + fridge = :cool:
PXL_20220902_203703122.jpg

You can just go forever
PXL_20220903_002426154.jpg

Special shout out to my co-pilot. Dude can road trip. I'm pumped for the future!
PXL_20220903_185209524.jpg

And it looks like about 1oz of nice clean looking Mobil 5w-30 came out of the catch can after 2000 miles fwiw
PXL_20220905_015150343.jpg

Looks nice! Got the same ones and they should be coming in tomorrow. Was curious how they were going to look.

Did MF take the factory cats for their $75 rebate...?
Yeah, very happy with them so far. On the rebate, I didn't get directly from MF, so I need to check...there are others that will buy OEM's though...I sold the ones from my old Audi DP's for $600 (2 pre and 2 regular cats).

Changed oil and filter
Took out the oil level sensor, cleaned it, installed a new seal, dielectric grease on the connectors and reinstalled. Seems to work so far.

Put in another quart of gear oil in the front differential. Pinion seal is leaking a lot, but I can't seem to find the parts i know I own to fix this.

Put on a set of the Magnaflow direct fit cats....no more rattles and whistles...Certainly not the cheapest option out there, but i like the more compact size over the OEM version. Also waiting on some White Knuckle sliders, so made sure the threads in the frame were nice and clean...

Did you notice a change in exhaust note? What is the part number?

And because Toyota is so brilliant, it'll even keep warm on a long trip!
Good lord, you're not wrong.
The AC compressor/clutch went out on mine 48 hours after doing a full cooling system update...and after a 50 mile drive home, it was so warm inside the cab (windows/sunroof do not open), my iphone gave a warning that it was "too hot" and needed to cool down.

:O

Florida Log - Sunday - 21:46 - The Camp

I woke up with an an incredible amount of gratitude… grateful I didn’t need to deal with a black bear in the night. I had been camping, you see; exploring Ocala National Forest. It was late afternoon and I was driving down trails, searching for an opening in the tree growth on either side of me, where I could squeeze-in and out of sight from the main trail. I passed a slight opening to my right, with an unused & overgrown four-wheeler trail behind it. I hoped out and walked the area. Immediately, I noticed a group of various tracks heading down into the overgrown trail; bear, coyote and either deer or wild hog. The prints were fresh, crisp! It had rained the night before and they would have been washed out if they were any older.
Forty feet down the old four-wheeler trail I came to a clearing and a literal fork in the road; on one side, the trail kept going, and 50° to my right, ran an obvious game trail. I was smack dab in the middle of a forest-animal highway junction! A confluence of critters, if you will. And as the great Roland Tembo (of Jurassic Park fame) once said

“This is a game trail, Mr. Ludlow. Carnivores hunt on game trails. Do you want to set up base camp or a buffet?”

I set the table and rang the dinner bell; in hindsight of-course.
Despite the obvious black bear tracks, the location was perfect, and I set up camp anyway. Deciding that I’ll play it safe by not cooking dinner that night. I also build a small campfire, as animals have a natural tendency to avoid smoke.
Leaving the chili pepper & onion marinating steak in the fridge, I opted for peeling a can of sardines in oil. So as to minimize the scent of food, you see. And as I held the open tin in my left hand and used the right to dig out a hoagie roll, I dripped the fishy oil all over the ground, the tailgate and myself. Poop! 💩
With the idea of minimizing my scent flushed down the proverbial toilet, I tossed a foil-wrapped potato into the fire, and skewered some hotdogs onto a sharp stick. A rustic dinner, if you will.
An hour later, with a thunderstorm rolling in, I climbed up into the man-child fort that I erected - marketing folk call it a roof top tent - and went to sleep. I’m a light sleeper, mind you, the idea of a bruin walking into camp was heavy on my mind. Maybe around 11 pm, I was roused by the sound of something in camp. My body was tired, barely responding (no pun intended), I manage to roll to my side and, in an attempt to shoo off the intruder, I bellowed “ooohhhaaua!” from my slumber.
It ran off and I gave in to the welcoming embrace of sleep. No other beasts bothered me that night.
View attachment 3106254View attachment 3106255View attachment 3106256View attachment 3106257View attachment 3106258
Stock height AND stock running boards? Kind of like mine :)

It’s alive!!! 2 days to reassemble purring like a kitten!!

View attachment 3106313

View attachment 3106314
I just did my entire cooling system and I haven't heard her purr like that in, well, never! Not in the 7 years (~20K miles) I've owned her.
I did a full flush, to include th block, new Denso radiator, Aisin water pump, thermostat, and Blue Fan clutch, hoses from Wit's End, Heater Control Valve, all new belts, coolant, an oil change with OEM filter, AND...new hood struts :)

She sounds so quiet now! And more importantly, she sounds LIKE a toyota!

Looks good. Those bolts inside the fender were fun weren't they? Luckily my 14 year old has long skinny arms so he helped me out quote a bit.
I got those bolts last week, pulled the power antenna and did arm yoga.......

Stock height AND stock running boards? Kind of like mine :)
Sure is! My approach has always been to max out what I have in order to figure out what I need before getting what I think I might need. It works for my use… and as much as I want to rip off those running boards, they do help with setting up & packing up the roof top tent.

Something else to blow your mind and keep this bro-mance going @DirtyPepper , I got my 80 from the original owner in Portland, OR… while living in Vancouver, WA. Small world.

Got it dirty for the first time since purchasing it. Just a quick run up the fire road to the top of Rowher Flats with my buddy in his JK on 40's. It was probably not the brightest idea to go wheeling in the 110 degree heat, but all seemed to go well, and we had a great time. I did see coolant temps of 195 just idling, and 212 on the climbs. (as reported via OBD-II reader to Torque app). My AC belt started slipping, so I reluctantly turned off AC. But it didn't really reduce ECT's that much. Some dark clouds moved in while we were stopped at the peak of the mountain, and this strange liquid fell from the sky. It was the most bizarre thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom