Duratracs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have been planning the build for the 80 and I am seeing alot of durtracs on others builds. Coming from the truck world the duratracs have always seemed to get mixed reviews. I am curious is there a reason there are so many durtracs on 80's? Is there something I am missing or don't know?
Thanks

So, I have been planning the build for the 80 and I am seeing alot of durtracs on others builds. Coming from the truck world the duratracs have always seemed to get mixed reviews. I am curious is there a reason there are so many durtracs on 80's? Is there something I am missing or don't know?
Thanks
The only good reason I can think is that maybe folk are catching them on sale?
Like you, haven't heard stellar things about them. The biggest complaint I've read is sidewall weakness, tho not many state what rate the failed tire was.
I'm running the Falken WildPeak AT3W E-rate, and while I never intended to go planing across sharp pointy rocks, these tires have held up very well imo.
Linear traction is great but be warned that lateral stability/traction in slippery conditions is mediocre at best. Not sure why but you will go straight on when turning on snow even at what I would consider low speeds. (5-ish mph)
This is compared to the previous set of MileStar Patagonia A/T (not M/T). Very much a street tire it is loaded with snow sipes and simply performed better from rain on the street to about 5" snow offroad. They pretty much petered out after that. lol

The only good reason I can think is that maybe folk are catching them on sale?
Like you, haven't heard stellar things about them. The biggest complaint I've read is sidewall weakness, tho not many state what rate the failed tire was.
I'm running the Falken WildPeak AT3W E-rate, and while I never intended to go planing across sharp pointy rocks, these tires have held up very well imo.
Linear traction is great but be warned that lateral stability/traction in slippery conditions is mediocre at best. Not sure why but you will go straight on when turning on snow even at what I would consider low speeds. (5-ish mph)
This is compared to the previous set of MileStar Patagonia A/T (not M/T). Very much a street tire it is loaded with snow sipes and simply performed better from rain on the street to about 5" snow offroad. They pretty much petered out after that. lol
I have the same Falkens on my f250. I have no complaints. Like you, I have been pleasantly surprised by them. I will agree they are horrible on ice. I find them to work great in the fresh snow.
I am considering them for the 80's series. I am kinda interested in trying something different.
I am thinking Toyo at3 or Cooper at3 xlt .

Not on an 80 but I am running duratracs on my 100 and have like them. On my second set (1st set took me about 70k mi with very regular rotations and solid alignment). I don't offroad nearly as much as I used to but when I was I had sidewalls get gouged up but no failures.
I like them a lot for snowy conditions (again, ,used to be a lot more important before moving to TX).
I want to stick with them but not the best options on a 17" wheel for my needs so may be going a different route.

I run Falken AT3s on my 80 and they have been good tires, I bought them when that was cheap option a few years back, looks like no longer the case.

I had two sets of them in 315 and liked them a lot. Yes, the sidewall is very thin.

I went through 2 sets in 315/75R16 and would have gotten a 3rd set, but Goodyear discontinued that size in both the Duratrac and MTR. Never had an issue either on or off road and was like magic in the snow.
Went with Toyo AT3s.

A close friend had them come on his new 1500 trail boss. He only got 40k before they were unbearably loud and replaced them with at3w's. The ones that come OE on new trucks might be a different tread compound because the guys at discount were all too familiar with his situation.

A close friend had them come on his new 1500 trail boss. He only got 40k before they were unbearably loud and replaced them with at3w's. The ones that come OE on new trucks might be a different tread compound because the guys at discount were all too familiar with his situation.

That is correct. Oe compound for automotive manufacturing is different.

I've run 3 sets over the years. They are good AT tires, but dont shed mud well and have very soft sidewalls. Not good for low range mud, rocks, wet roots in New England.

When I bought my truck it had Duratracs on it (275/70/18 E). They were fairly well used, so they had they typical cupping and were loud and difficult to balance, as others complain about. I really wanted to like them, I like the idea of a middle ground between AT and MT, particularly one with enough siping to be snowflake rated, but the final straw was when one developed a large crack in the sidewall near the outer edge. I have had KO2s since and don't regret them, although I still like the look of a truck when I see the Duratracs on, I just wouldn't trust them out in the woods on my own truck, especially aired down.

I had a set of used low tread duratracs and they worked fine. A bit noisy late in life. Very good in snow, even with reduced tread.
Went to a mild at, and couldn’t wait to get back on a rt. Now on the Kenda rt and like it a lot, more then I liked the duratracs.
They have a narrow 35x10.5r17 that should work well on an 80. They’re working well on my 200.

i have them as studded winter tires. for a mud tire look they work very well in snow and ice. i don’t do a lot of rock wheeling and again as a winter tire i snow wheel on logging roads so side wall issues aren’t a thing i worry about. i’d buy them again as a winter tire. i’ve had them 6 winters and they still have a few years of life left i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom