1FZFE 5.2L Turbo Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you're sending a lot of the signals to both the second link fury and the toyota ECU? Is the toyota ECU doing the transmission as well or can the second link fury do that?
Yes, OEM will basically get its full data set, but we'll selectively hijack a bunch of stuff for engine management...

IIRC, programmer guy is letting OEM manage the transmission since it can't really tell the difference... can confirm later.

Yes, OEM will basically get its full data set, but we'll selectively hijack a bunch of stuff for engine management...

IIRC, programmer guy is letting OEM manage the transmission since it can't really tell the difference... can confirm later.

Letting OEM manage transmission could be dangerous as its not really tuned to be handling that kind of power, but maybe possible? A transmission controller is probably worth looking into, but finding a tune/someone to tune it would be a bit tricky.

Reactions: JMM
Letting OEM manage transmission could be dangerous as its not really tuned to be handling that kind of power, but maybe possible? A transmission controller is probably worth looking into, but finding a tune/someone to tune it would be a bit tricky.
I'm confident my box of hope and prayers will keep it all glued together. 🤪

For what they are, these transmissions are pretty impressive. That's based on comparing how small they are with how well they do the job they do. I think you will easily far surpass the power handling ability of the transmission, especially the torque converter. After looking closely at the FZJ transmissions I checked them right off my list of candidates for my planned Cummins swap. A 100CC dirtbike has more clutch surface area than the converter clutch in these things does. I will be using an Allison.

Without an effective solution to get it to the ground, I see little reason to add lots of power.

FYI, the 343 uses a manual throttle valve- The line pressure is tied directly with throttle position. Fine for NA use. Turbocharge it and you have significantly higher torque at lower RPM and lower throttle position. At the very least you can add a shift kit and do your best to bring base line pressure up as fast as possible, but for a driver you cannot crank line pressure at idle, it will damage the engine bearings. You could go to a later 340 electronic valve body and an aftermarket controller, but that's a lot of lipstick to throw on that piglet.

For what they are, these transmissions are pretty impressive. That's based on comparing how small they are with how well they do the job they do. I think you will easily far surpass the power handling ability of the transmission, especially the torque converter. After looking closely at the FZJ transmissions I checked them right off my list of candidates for my planned Cummins swap. A 100CC dirtbike has more clutch surface area than the converter clutch in these things does. I will be using an Allison.

Without an effective solution to get it to the ground, I see little reason to add lots of power.

FYI, the 343 uses a manual throttle valve- The line pressure is tied directly with throttle position. Fine for NA use. Turbocharge it and you have significantly higher torque at lower RPM and lower throttle position. At the very least you can add a shift kit and do your best to bring base line pressure up as fast as possible, but for a driver you cannot crank line pressure at idle, it will damage the engine bearings. You could go to a later 340 electronic valve body and an aftermarket controller, but that's a lot of lipstick to throw on that piglet.
If anything outright explodes, it will definitely be transmission related. Based on @scottryana and his experience, I'll carefully give it a shot and repair/upgrade as required...

There just aren't great options on the trans.

Sounds cool. I'm curious, what is your end goal with this build? Is this going to be the ultimate street sleeper, with DOT drag radials?

Sounds cool. I'm curious, what is your end goal with this build? Is this going to be the ultimate street sleeper, with DOT drag radials?
I'm glad you asked. Hold my beer... 🤪

The original end goal was that my Cruiser not leak / burn excessive oil. So, gotta rebuild. If you're rebuilding, might as well talk about upgrades. If you're upgrading, might as well talk about forced induction. While we're in there, etc.

Apparently, my new goal is to destroy the transmission with a turbocharged nuke and look cool doing it.

The original end goal was that my Cruiser not leak / burn excessive oil. So, gotta rebuild. If you're rebuilding, might as well talk about upgrades. If you're upgrading, might as well talk about forced induction. While we're in there, etc.

Apparently, my new goal is to destroy the transmission with a turbocharged nuke and look cool doing it.

It's important to be ambitious when setting goals . . .

Important, or stupid! One or the other :hmm: :lol: :hillbilly:

Thanks for this laugh.
I’ll happily hold your beer and not even take a sip as tax.

Looking cool is rule #1 🤘🏻

The sooner you nuke the transmission, the sooner you can upgrade it 🙃

Pics or it didn't happen. Don't tell us you don't have photos of shiny machined block, pretty parts layed out on the table, etc, etc, etc. I mean, come on, guy! :flipoff2:
It's here!

I should have some internal photos later...

20220809_160900.jpg

20220809_160853.jpg

Some part pictures, by popular request...

Didn't use these particular 1,500hp H-rods; NFW we could get adequate block clearance. Used some similar 750's instead, and those were still really tight.

Crank counterweights got shaved and rebalanced. Pistons got further clearancing for oil-squirters.

PXL_20211004_172919561.jpg

PXL_20211004_172938092.jpg

20211130_114731.jpg

20211130_114902.jpg

20211130_115012.jpg

Engine's back in the truck. Connecting everything up for break-in on OEM ECU. Then, injectors, boost, and second ECU will go online. Meanwhile, attaching some random internals...
image000000(4).jpg
image000000(3).jpg
image000000(2).jpg
image000000(1).jpg
image000000.jpg

Awesome ! I still have so many questions . . .first off; how long are those rods ? And is this a coil packed 1FZ or a US spec one ? Lastly, does this piggyback aftermarket ECU run an emulator back to the factory one to make everything seem copacetic, so that your check engine light will still function ? ? I’m so happy to see someone else doing this. 😀

Engine's back in the truck. Connecting everything up for break-in on OEM ECU. Then, injectors, boost, and second ECU will go online. Meanwhile, attaching some random internals...

Just so we're on the same page, we will absolutely need videos of the first start up!
Awesome build!
Once you get the rotating assembly broken in, and add boost, you'll be grenading transmissions with the best of the transmission grenaders!
(I jest..)

Awesome ! I still have so many questions . . .first off; how long are those rods ? And is this a coil packed 1FZ or a US spec one ? Lastly, does this piggyback aftermarket ECU run an emulator back to the factory one to make everything seem copacetic, so that your check engine light will still function ? ? I’m so happy to see someone else doing this. 😀
Should be 6.062 c-to-c...
US spec...
OEM ECU will basically be running stock, but the second ECU will execute all exceptions. (Really helps that the shop owner used to program ECUs for manufacturers / aftermarket, so we can fnck around with all the data and warnings as needed. Like throw transmission temp warnings early and maybe reduce boost if we're cooking it.)

wow this is pretty cool build thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom