Painting leaf springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best way to paint leaf springs?

I am planning on wire-wheeling or DA sanding the old paint off of them after I split the leaves. I don't think sandblasting is a good idea on spring steel.

The question is what paint?

1. Some sort of enamal? Rust-o-leum, etc.
  2. Some sort of rust proof primer? Zero Rust, Rust Bullet, etc.
  3. Epoxy prime and SS urethane? i.e. DP90 and SS black.
  4. Graphite paint?
I have read around on other websites and seen the graphite paint. I guess you prep and paint and the graphite keeps the squeaks down. This is good as I don't have plastic separator sheets in the spings.

Sample graphite paint:
EZ-Slide Alkyd Based Graphite Lubricating Paint

I took mine apart and down to bare metal with a 3M paint & rust remover disk, then painted with anti-rust enamel. I had all the pads though, I'd at least put graphite between the leaves. The finish is pretty thick and rough with that stuff though, might not want to paint the whole springs with it.

Mine turned out great - look brand new ;)

Tucker

I took mine apart and down to bare metal with a 3M paint & rust remover disk, then painted with anti-rust enamel. I had all the pads though, I'd at least put graphite between the leaves. The finish is pretty thick and rough with that stuff though, might not want to paint the whole springs with it.

Mine turned out great - look brand new ;)

Tucker

So you did 100% enamel, then added graphite lube between the leaves?

OR

Did you do 100% enamel, then added graphite "paint" on the areas between the leaves?

Tucker

x2, I also prime the springs with primers before hand and after putting them back, I painted them couple layers of anti-rust coatings and new spring pins, I also opened up the spring clamps and put a long bolt through the clamp just like ARB OME spring. I did couple layers of slip plate graphite.

The whole project took lots of time.

/td

So you did 100% enamel, then added graphite lube between the leaves?

OR

Did you do 100% enamel, then added graphite "paint" on the areas between the leaves?
I did 100% enamel and had all the pads still so didn't paint w/ graphite. If I didn't have those, I would have added graphite paint to the areas between the leaves.

Tucker

Sounds like a lot of work.

Currently I am "Rust Bullet" ing my springs and then am going to hit them with enamel flat black rustoleum as the top coat. Ill let you know how it turns out.

John

I wire wheeled and POR'd my old cruiser springs for a trailer project, then sprayed the painted leafs with Slip-Plate. One word of caution.....put a couple of C clamps on the pack before removing(in my case, grinding off) the center pin. Otherwise it can become an unguided missle:doh:

Ed

I sand blasted mine then painted with Chassis Saver paint.
I can't see sand blasting doing much of anything to the springs.

Following up with my last post, I have finished "Rustbulleting my springs" I hit them with a top coat of Rustoleum Flat High Performance black enamel. After that I used Multi Use Purpose Lithium Grease between the springs and this is how they turned out.

3298407751_f56f3199c9.jpg

Before

3299234622_5dac3ea350.jpg

After Wire wheeling

3298409435_9282c6fff0.jpg

After Rustbullet application

3298406903_a149ef9d90.jpg

3299236978_f8249092bb.jpg

After Topcoat and Re-Assembly

Sand blasting won't hurt the springs at all! But I don't see why you would want to put a custom paint job on a leaf springs.

I guess I am just old-fashion. Ha. You kids have to much energy!

cheers

How did you open the clips? With a chisel? And will it weaken the metal when it is being bent back again? Cheers

How did you open the clips? With a chisel? And will it weaken the metal when it is being bent back again? Cheers

why bother? Paint isn’t going to last in the mating surfaces. Blast and prime/paint them and then get some oil in between the springs if you want to avoid rust. No paint can withstand the forces in between springs.

Ask all these people to post up some pics of their springs after a few years.

True. But I guess the paint is ok in the areas without friction. In my old springs, big flakes of rust feel of in between the leaves, causing them to bend.

ok. I'll reference a US army mechanics magazine from the 1950's. " PS Magazine ", In several articles, they mention to never grease or oil leaf springs. The friction between them is how they work. On a new truck, there usually isn't a showroom clearcoat paintjob on springs, either very lightly painted with soft paint, or not painted.

what would a heavy truck spring shop say about this?

Should be no problem sandblasting springs. the steel is harder steel than most people blast. Besides, what happens when you drive an LC through a desert? springs are sandblasted, first week on the sahara.

knock off the rust, scrap any badly pitted or broken parts, reassemble, and put a soft/weak paint on the outside of the springs for cosmetics, just as the manufacturer did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom