Cavalry Blue LJ78 Build (registered in California) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
prado 3.jpeg

prado 2.jpeg

prado 1.jpeg

My business partner and I took on this 1993 LJ78 about a year ago and we finished most of the exterior. Interior needs a few things like fixed the cracked dash and refinish some plastic parts. I'd say 85% done.

List of upgrades:
Dobinsons 4" lift kit
Dobinsons front bumper
Dobinsons rear bumper
Front Runner roof rack
Rigid 10" light bar
PIAA driving lights
Volk Racing TE37
LegendEX rock sliders
Full repaint and jams to Cavalry Blue with matte black accents

Looking to add:
iKamper
Performance Brake Kit
Give the engine some performance upgrades

We we first bought it.
prado 4.jpeg

After we installed and upgraded most of the parts.
prado 5.jpeg

badass. went inferno orange on 75.. good to see new colors come to the older vehicles.

Looking good!

What size of tires are you running now? And how does the Dobinsons lift compares to stock in terms of ride and control? Thanks.

Looking good!

What size of tires are you running now? And how does the Dobinsons lift compares to stock in terms of ride and control? Thanks.
The lift is a lot more solid than before. Performs a lot better over rougher terrain. Tires are: 285/17/16

IMG_1040.jpg

I liked the Cavalry blue idea enough to do the same thing to my LJ78. I had the bumpers, bull guard, ladder and side steps powder coated. It was about $650.

I got aftermarket black handles. THEY ARE CRAP (poor lock mechanism engagement, bad fit, loose). I'm going to see if the power coating guy can do my original handles in black.

Did you use vinyl striping to cover over the chrome gutter and around the window? That was my plan unless there is something more durable.

Also, I was going to see if I can get the locks powder coated, it looks like you stuck with the chrome original ones. Any plans to match those to the blue?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Nice work!
Thank you for the heads up on the aftermarket black handles. I had a feeling that they would be crap. Question: do you think they're "improvable"?

For the lock. (This is just me spitballing, as I feel like the alloy used is likely some kind of chrome plated ferritic steel (maybe a 400 series of some sort). But I wonder if it was possible to strip the chrome, clean the base metal surgically and then cold blue it.
If the steel is compatible, you could end up with a durable and repeatable black finish.

Idk. Best of luck!

The aftermarket door handles are all 'bent' in the same sort of way. I look a few photos, but its hard to see. Basically they are make to very poor tolerance compared to the original handles. Also the mechanism is generic on all 5 handles. The original ones are specific to each side. So, the handles don't unlock as smoothly as the original ones.

Looks great and nice upgrades. Have you done anything for the engine though? Out of sight and mind, but will cause no end of grief and expense if neglected! Shiney upgrades give huge satisfaction....but engine can erase that in a hurry. 2ltes need some things done to be reliable mills.

Also curious if you done ATF flush, diff and t-case oil? Brakes, front axle rebuild, etc? Maybe it was well maintained before you got it and all this is fine. Usually not the case for these poor trucks though.

View attachment 3200356
I liked the Cavalry blue idea enough to do the same thing to my LJ78. I had the bumpers, bull guard, ladder and side steps powder coated. It was about $650.

I got aftermarket black handles. THEY ARE CRAP (poor lock mechanism engagement, bad fit, loose). I'm going to see if the power coating guy can do my original handles in black.

Did you use vinyl striping to cover over the chrome gutter and around the window? That was my plan unless there is something more durable.

Also, I was going to see if I can get the locks powder coated, it looks like you stuck with the chrome original ones. Any plans to match those to the blue?

Thanks for the inspiration!
I had the shop sand down the stock handles and put two layers of paint on. as for the chrome gutter parts, also sanded down and two layers of matte black paint.

Looks great and nice upgrades. Have you done anything for the engine though? Out of sight and mind, but will cause no end of grief and expense if neglected! Shiney upgrades give huge satisfaction....but engine can erase that in a hurry. 2ltes need some things done to be reliable mills.

Also curious if you done ATF flush, diff and t-case oil? Brakes, front axle rebuild, etc? Maybe it was well maintained before you got it and all this is fine. Usually not the case for these poor trucks though.
I’ve been making my way down the list.

First thing I checked was for a head crack. It’s solid.

Differential oil replaced and transfer case. The old oil looked pretty good and was full.

Finished the suspension system earlier this year. Everything rubber has been replaced along with the springs and shocks. The ride is SO much better.

it was throwing a bunch of codes and I’ve worked through all those. Mostly needed a few new sensors and TPS adjustment. Glow plugs.

I just finished with new front calipers and front and rear disks. I’ve ordered the parts to build the rear Brakes and master cylinder along with replacing all the rubber brake lines.
While I’m waiting on that I’m going to start in the fuel system. I replaced the filter and will be flushing the fuel system with injector purge and bench test the injectors. If they look bad, I’ll have them rebuilt. I’ll confirm the injection pump timing as well.

oh, and the electric gremlins… I believe I’ve gotten those. Bad door switches, shorted dome lights, and body ground.

Backed up sunroof drain fixed. Now no more leaking!

Cooling system flush, thermostat replacement. New battery
All new weather stripping and seals.

EGR delete done, I haven’t pulled out the butterfly valve yet. I’ll do that when I remove the intake to clean and polish. It’s nasty inside around the EGR inlet.

There probably other stuff I’ve done that I’ve forgotten.

I’ve been making my way down the list.

First thing I checked was for a head crack. It’s solid.

Differential oil replaced and transfer case. The old oil looked pretty good and was full.

Finished the suspension system earlier this year. Everything rubber has been replaced along with the springs and shocks. The ride is SO much better.

it was throwing a bunch of codes and I’ve worked through all those. Mostly needed a few new sensors and TPS adjustment. Glow plugs.

I just finished with new front calipers and front and rear disks. I’ve ordered the parts to build the rear Brakes and master cylinder along with replacing all the rubber brake lines.
While I’m waiting on that I’m going to start in the fuel system. I replaced the filter and will be flushing the fuel system with injector purge and bench test the injectors. If they look bad, I’ll have them rebuilt. I’ll confirm the injection pump timing as well.

oh, and the electric gremlins… I believe I’ve gotten those. Bad door switches, shorted dome lights, and body ground.

Backed up sunroof drain fixed. Now no more leaking!

Cooling system flush, thermostat replacement. New battery
All new weather stripping and seals.

EGR delete done, I haven’t pulled out the butterfly valve yet. I’ll do that when I remove the intake to clean and polish. It’s nasty inside around the EGR inlet.

There probably other stuff I’ve done that I’ve forgotten.

That's great to hear!! Glad you've been giving the mechanicals some TLC too. Sounds like you're well on your way with that.

Again, great looking truck, and thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom