Cargo area carpet - clean, replace, cover, ignore? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
I love my 100. But every time I open the back, I think "Yep, she's old." The previous owner - I bought this when it was 4-yrs-old with 39,000 miles - treated it like complete %$@*. The cargo areas was used often to haul motorcycle parts - just dropped in, on the carpet. Anyway, it's looked like crap since I've owned it.

Last night, I spent an hour trying (again) to clean it up. I may have made it worse. At best, I made it different. So, it seems my options are:
1. Have a professional take a shot at it
2. Get new carpet
3. Find a cargo mat and hide the stains
4. Ignore it - it's a 15-year-old truck

What do y'all think? I'm doing trying to clean this with my consumer-grade tools.

Before:
IMG_6943.jpeg

Cleaning solution, scrubbing, rinse, more scrubbing, steam (hot water), vacuum...
PNG image.png
IMG_6947.jpeg

After:
IMG_6952.jpeg

Dye it a darker gray.

About 5yrs ago I forgot that I left an old car battery in the back. It was there for a good week, but it did not stay upright that entire week. I now have a huge acid burned area in the middle of the mat :bang:

I bought an OEM carpet cover for this. It can be cleaned really well. However that OEM carpet is only with early year LX470 or LC100.

ManH

@2001LC has a pretty good recipe for getting carpets like new- send him a PM

CLEAN:

First thing I'd do is remove it from the vehicle. I wouldn't be comfortable using potentially caustic cleaning products near vehicle sheetmetal.

As you've not had success with 'regular' carpet cleaners, time to get aggressive.....:nailbiting:

You could take it to a professional, or give it a hit with a caustic type degreaser (diluted). Maybe try spot treating the oil stains with dry cleaning fluid (on dry carpet) before soaking the whole carpet in degreaser, then hit it with a pressre washer (this should keep any colour changes uniform..ish...). Don't use a solvent/petroleum based degreaser as I doubt you'll ever get the smell out.

RENEW:

As mentioned already, you could try dye. Being a light colour will reduce chances of success in hiding the blemishes.

REPLACE:

There is nothing particularly special about the carpet except for the edging strip on the front. It wouldn't be difficult to cut your own new carpet from a roll of suitably coloured automotive carpet and trim it in around the floor mount holes.

Put it under one of those rubber type cargo mats. Easy.

@beatle_bayly you just cost me $110. ;) Seriously though, that did kinda made me stop and think about how much time I want put into the damn cargo area of the 100. So, then I ordered a rubber mat. Thanks. @Roosevelt T, this did enter my mind... several times.

Went with Lloyds. I have Lloyds in my '84 Pickup and Weathertech in my 100. The front and middle row Weathertechs in the 100 kinda suck. The front passenger never fit well - just doesn't lay flat. Tech support said to leave it in the sun then try it. Really. The middle row is pathetic - all curled up. Lloyds mats are a different design - flatter, thicker. Seems like a good option for the rear.

Thanks!
(no more cleaning)

Last edited:
No problem @Manhatten. I figured if I spelled out the options it'd convince you to just cover it with a mat. Though a carpet offcut would have cost less...... ;)

And I'm missing the exact same seat mount cover as you!

My Weathertechs fit pretty well, I have the full cargo version that adapts to the jump seats — saved me on many a spills.

@beatle_bayly I kid you not - 10 min. before I took the pic of me scrubbing the carpet, I was laying out a piece of automotive carpet to replace or overlay the existing. I stopped... thought about my inability to finish the front edge, that tucking it under the trim would only hold somewhat... said "Oh &$%I it." tossed the carpet to the side and tried to clean it again.

Maybe in a few years I'll "restore" the interior - recover the seats (they're good now) and get a new full carpet set. maybe.

OEM carpet cover OR throw some muddy boots back there and a wet dog for a while so it all evens out.

But it says....lexus
>> On ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom