Where to mount Ham control head in a 93? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you haven't purchased the radio yet, the VR-N7500 is blue tooth controlled from your phone.
The radio goes some place hidden and the phone goes in the phone holder to run as the "face plate" of the radio.
I mounted mine under the DS. I ordered the blue tooth mic/speaker, it has a magnet, so it sticks to anything steel and no wires to get tangled.

Amazon product ASIN B084D3V4MJ
Lot of potential for that to be awesome, but they didn’t use anything with APRS or SMSGTE…. Or any true digital modes.

Thanks. I am going with the ftm 400 xdr.
I love my 400. Seriously solid radio. Definitely splurge for the RT systems programming software.

Marco, How did you mount your radio there? I had a my old yaesu mounted just below yours by mounting the bracket (can be seen in my pic above) to the flat surface behind the shifter. I do not love that spot for visibility or access. But it did work.
I think it was just dbl sided tape on the bracket. My GMRS is very small and all the controls are on the handheld unit, so accessibility is not a concern here..
Here is a better pic of it...
20220515_110303.jpg

Last edited:
Just so you are aware, the APRS works really well, and digital channels are easy to setup along with proxy channels and world wide remote with a cell signal. It does things I have no idea about and I barely scratch the surface of it's capabilities.

I appreciate all the pics and ideas. I plan on moving it around til I find what works for me. Parts inbound.

Just so you are aware, the APRS works really well, and digital channels are easy to setup along with proxy channels and world wide remote with a cell signal. It does things I have no idea about and I barely scratch the surface of it's capabilities.
I’m a total beginner. I have had my tech for several years but never used it beyond the local repeater for CERT and simplex on trips. My ancient ft1800 finally gave up the ghost. I took it to a local ham expert (Morrflate) and he gently suggested I have been living in the equivalent of amateur radio dark ages. I may still try to fix it, but took his advice and picked up a used 400. Looking forward to the next chapter on this.

Do you have a link to that cool RAM mount by any chance?

It was on my 80 I sold many years ago, but I believe I used a diamond base that I had to drill new holes in for the mirror mount (maybe RAM-B-238U?), then a short arm like the RAM-B-201U, and a rectangular base that the radio head unit can attach to (not sure on the PN).

the cheaper 1/4-20 Ram ball fits and is cheaper, and in my opinion better than a through bolt. No tools required :)

This threads directly to the back of the faceplate and is half the price and less parts:

I build my own single DIN RAM mount.

24483b52-2e46-4bb9-9624-afefd9510cbf-jpeg.2930723

f5ff3b01-e296-4773-86fd-dfddeca19541-jpeg.2944254

My experience is that anything RAM mounted will flex/bounce when driving on uneven pavement or off-road. Had to rest my hand held Garmin and my iPad on my dash otherwise they were moving all the time even though they were suction mounted to my windshield. Can’t imagine anything of substance mounted to a switch delete panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom