Where to mount Ham control head in a 93? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruxarche

SILVER Star
Threads
B908AAFC-EE6D-4B7D-BA68-4C7C4257EAD5.jpeg
Picking up a new radio (ftm 400xdr) and need to find a good spot for the control head. I will soon be replacing the stereo head unit with another single din. My preferred location would be where the stereo currently is. Second choice is in the empty bay below the Stereo. But I’m not sure how to mount something in those locations. Is there a ram mount that fits in there? i Have seen various aftermarket solutions for other dash configs but not for this exact setup.
E1820BC4-59AD-4E20-94B7-823289FFDF8D.jpeg

3B2DA74D-BCAC-433C-BD11-5B3773A1271B.jpeg

Guessing the unit you are mounting is smaller than the standard CB head, but I mounted my CB head vertically to the back of the center console. (mainly because it won't go anywhere else that I was happy with, due to its size)
It fits well there, tho a bit of a PITA to manipulate the controls.

edit:hilarious your low speed fan control button face is doing the same as mine. lol
20220828_175045.jpg

Last edited:
I know this is not within everyone's budget, but @Delta VS center console got a badass switch panel that can accommodate pretty much anything you want to install.

Guessing the unit you are mounting is smaller than the standard CB head, but I mounted my CB head vertically to the back of the center console. (mainly because it won't go anywhere else that I was happy with, due to its size)
It fits well there, tho a bit of a PITA to manipulate the controls.

edit:hilarious your low speed fan control button face is doing the same as mine. lolView attachment 3099894
Yeah that button is getting lazy! The unit is about the size of the cardboard in the pics. And about .8” thick. I’d really like to mount it in line of sight in one Of the two radio slots.

I know this is not within everyone's budget, but @Delta VS center console got a badass switch panel that can accommodate pretty much anything you want to install.
Beautiful but Def out of budget for this application. I was hoping for a ram mount option in the radio slot.

View attachment 3099845Picking up a new radio (ftm 400xdr) and need to find a good spot for the control head. I will soon be replacing the stereo head unit with another single din. My preferred location would be where the stereo currently is. Second choice is in the empty bay below the Stereo. But I’m not sure how to mount something in those locations. Is there a ram mount that fits in there? i Have seen various aftermarket solutions for other dash configs but not for this exact setup.
View attachment 3099846
View attachment 3099847
I have the same radio and mounted on the frot edge of the centre console using velcro. It's comfortable to use and remove to lock away. I have a Diamond super gainer antenna to go along with the rig.

IMG_20220829_072708.jpg

IMG_20220829_072730.jpg

Haha! I just ordered the same yesterday.

I’m going to have to get up to speed with the Wit’s End product line. I’ll probably be mounting my display somewhere overhead.

here is mine....GMRS below dbl din.
My CB is behind the center console, but it is no longer in service.
View attachment 3100423
Marco, How did you mount your radio there? I had a my old yaesu mounted just below yours by mounting the bracket (can be seen in my pic above) to the flat surface behind the shifter. I do not love that spot for visibility or access. But it did work.

how about up top with the witsend mirror mount? my switches are here, but my ftm400 face plate would definitely fit
View attachment 3100510
How is it viewing the switch up there. I feel like controlling the unit up there might be awkward… But I’m not sure why. It certainly feels natural looking in the rear view mirror.

How is it viewing the switch up there. I feel like controlling the unit up there might be awkward… But I’m not sure why. It certainly feels natural looking in the rear view mirror.
depending on what you plan to be doing with the radio, I agree.... I have my faceplate mounted from my a pillar and it's in the perfect position. Rest my hand on the wheel while fiddling with the radio. I do a lot with APRS and SMSGTE (sending texts through radio) so I tend to spend a fair bit of time poking around menus and hitting buttons. If you are mounting a simpler radio and only plan on adjusting volume and frequency, up top wouldn't be bad.
1661800458564.png

If Joey had those in stock I would try that (a pillar) as well.

You could run this for now, until the mount is back in stock... use the RAM B-367u with a longer screw to match factory threads (i forget what they are) and use the same grab handle hole. It won't work as well since the arm will run into the handle at certain angles, but you can at least run it this way with everything else the same (ram arm, wiring) until the better mount comes in stock.

You could run this for now, until the mount is back in stock... use the RAM B-367u with a longer screw to match factory threads (i forget what they are) and use the same grab handle hole. It won't work as well since the arm will run into the handle at certain angles, but you can at least run it this way with everything else the same (ram arm, wiring) until the better mount comes in stock.
Thanks for the idea. We get spoiled with all the custom parts made for us. But there are actually quite a few ram mount options that I can play around with now that my diy mind is humming.

Thanks for the idea. We get spoiled with all the custom parts made for us. But there are actually quite a few ram mount options that I can play around with now that my diy mind is humming.
yup! Gotta love the ram stuff.

I use the 1/4-20 balls all over the place. My scangauge is mounted with one, just drilled a hole in the back and slapped a nut on it.

If you haven't purchased the radio yet, the VR-N7500 is blue tooth controlled from your phone.
The radio goes some place hidden and the phone goes in the phone holder to run as the "face plate" of the radio.
I mounted mine under the DS. I ordered the blue tooth mic/speaker, it has a magnet, so it sticks to anything steel and no wires to get tangled.

Amazon product ASIN B084D3V4MJ

If you haven't purchased the radio yet, the VR-N7500 is blue tooth controlled from your phone.
The radio goes some place hidden and the phone goes in the phone holder to run as the "face plate" of the radio.
I mounted mine under the DS. I ordered the blue tooth mic/speaker, it has a magnet, so it sticks to anything steel and no wires to get tangled.

Amazon product ASIN B084D3V4MJ
Thanks. I am going with the ftm 400 xdr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom