Lug Pattern v old Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my first 100 series two weeks ago. I have bought and sold about a dozen 40/60 series and my daily driver is a GX470, I was shocked to start working on the brake system and see a five lug pattern, I thought 6 lugs was standard on all cruisers. I'm surprised the GX470/Prado would have a different setup from the 100 LC, or that the pattern would be different from the past.

Is there any reason/advantage for this different pattern?

I off road with other older land cruisers in the area, and it's always nice to have more than one spare in emergencies, but I don't want to carry a ton of wheels.. I'm guessing it's still not worth it, but what would be the process for switching over to the traditional Toyota 6 lug pattern?

It was shared with similar vehicles of that era for Toyota - Tundra, Sequoia, all 5 lug and have gone back to 6. Process would be new hubs in the front, new axle in the rear. I want to say someone looked into an adapter/spacer that went from 5 to 6 but that the hole pattern doesn't line up that it works.

If you have your own spare and a maybe a tire patch kit, should be fine.

I thought 6 lugs was standard on all cruisers.
ALL Cruisers went to 5-lug in 1998, including the 78/79 series and 100/105 series. The 5-lug studs are bigger and the design is stronger than the previous 6-lug pattern. It is Toyota’s “heavy duty” pattern.

I'm surprised the GX470/Prado would have a different setup from the 100 LC
Well they’re not Land Cruisers and they are considered “light duty” vehicles, so one ought not be too surprised…

I'm guessing it's still not worth it, but what would be the process for switching over to the traditional Toyota 6 lug pattern?
Gut the IFS and SAS an 80 series front axle in, swap the rear 100 axle for an 80 axle lol. But I think BORA makes a 5x150 to 6x5.5 wheel adapter/spacer that can be used, which would be substantially cheaper than swapping axles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! The lugs definitely are beefier.. I can't imagine dropping back to the 80 series suspension and axels doing me any favors!

Maybe updating my old 40, my brother's and my cousins 40s with 100 series IFS and axle will make it easier to have those extra spares? 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom