Builds SLOW 71 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you are going to the 4-1?

I understand that you loose a bit in the 5th gear when on the highway. I hear with the 3-1 there is no loss. Curious as to your motives with the 4-1. Care to share?

I have the 4-1 in mine, but alas I don’t know what it’s like because I’ve never driven it. :(. I have been told to expect that the 5th becomes like the 4th in a four speed transmition. I am hoping it is a bit better than that! The crawling power should be stellar!

So you are going to the 4-1?

I understand that you loose a bit in the 5th gear when on the highway. I hear with the 3-1 there is no loss. Curious as to your motives with the 4-1. Care to share?

I have the 4-1 in mine, but alas I don’t know what it’s like because I’ve never driven it. :(. I have been told to expect that the 5th becomes like the 4th in a four speed transmition. I am hoping it is a bit better than that! The crawling power should be stellar!

If I read it right, he's going back to stock from the 4:1. A lot of people report the 4:1 is much noisier than even the 3:1.

Samc is right. I'm going back to stock because of the noise. I rarely use low gear and the stock gear will be fine for what I get into. We have to do so much highway type driving just to get somewhere and most of our offroading is conquered by 4 wheel high. We both have been wanting to see the northwest coast, so going to see Georg gave me a reason.

The wagon will be at Georg's Sept. 21st. through the 23rd. I'm staying at the hotel down the street and picking Jeri up at the airport on the 24th. I'll stay in touch and figure something out, see how everything goes.

I’ll probably be available to rendezvous at some point if you so inclined to hook up

On the Pig Party trip we discovered a crack on each A pillar going up to that hole in the pillar. I'm not sure if this is a common crack with the pigs, but it looks like someone had welded both before. Either way it needed to be addressed and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. As you know I'm not using a headliner, so it's all hanging out, the good, bad and ugly. I made a scab plate with some rosette weld holes and welded them up. There was plenty of anti rust products inside the pillar that started burning when the welding started, not to mention blowing holes in the metal making it lively. Hopefully it will hold another five years or so until I'm done with it. I had paint mixed to match which didn't 🤷‍♂️, but it's sorta close. It might be a good place to check when you have the headliner out.

View attachment 3094350

View attachment 3094351

View attachment 3094352
Interesting! I wonder about putting that extra weight up on the roof, now we know!

I just about got everything ready again for a trip back out West. I'm leaving in three weeks and driving to Stockton Ca. for an appointment with Georg at Valley Hybrids. He's swapping out my split case with the 4 to 1 low gear for a brand new case with stock gears. I'm taking six days to get there and three days for the swap then meeting up with Jeri who's flying out to Sacramento. From Sacramento we're heading for the coast and driving up to the redwood parks, taking the backroads as much as possible. Should be one heck of a trip.
If you are passing by Ft Collins, LMK! We could get the Pigs together!

Are you ditching the 4:1 gears b/c of noise?

What are you doing with the 4:1 gear set?

Ron, lets meet when your here . Dinner at the Buckhorn steakhouse in my hometown of Winters, Ca., my treat. we can talk about your trip North, My son went to college in Arcata, spent some time up there. the sixties are alive and well there
Wish I could join y'all!

I just about got everything ready again for a trip back out West. I'm leaving in three weeks and driving to Stockton Ca. for an appointment with Georg at Valley Hybrids. He's swapping out my split case with the 4 to 1 low gear for a brand new case with stock gears. I'm taking six days to get there and three days for the swap then meeting up with Jeri who's flying out to Sacramento. From Sacramento we're heading for the coast and driving up to the redwood parks, taking the backroads as much as possible. Should be one heck of a trip.

They are staying with the old case at Valley Hybrids and I'm getting a whole new transfer case with stock gears. Georg with decide what to do with the old one.
If you pass through Boise, ID stop by and say hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom