Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All done. New pads in the rear as well. Flushed out all the old brake fluid and topped off the job with some new drive flange caps.
PXL_20220816_205035819.jpg
PXL_20220816_205026016.jpg

Made a few tool friends this weekend working on the 200 to install Old Man Emu lift kit:

1) Toyota factory jack (surprisingly put the floor jack to shame in usefulness for getting the front of the truck up on jack stands- floor jack was great for manipulating suspension though)
2) Penetrating oil made it a lot easier to get some of the suspension bolts out
3) BFH (picked up a 4 lb sledge and made short work of the tie rod bolts)
4) Pry bar saved my butt a couple times with the sway bar linkage bolts connecting the sway bar to the lower suspension arms
5) Punches were key for the single bolt holding the bottom of each strut

Unfortunately, a couple challenges of the install means I'll have to make a second attempt next week.

Here were the show stoppers:

1) LCAs have seized cam bolts. I've got a brushless sawzall and medium and thick metal blades and new OEM LCAs and hardware ready to go in. But not looking forward to cutting the old bolts and sleeves out.

Question to the group: Anyone have any tips for cutting seized cam bolts out?

2) I couldn't for the life of me pry out the worn Old Man Emu shocks by loosening up the upper ball joints, removing the steering rod ends, and removing the bolts connecting the sway bar to the lower suspension arms... I left the nuts retaining the upper ball joints on, leaving about half the nut on the end of the thread, after giving the the top of the steering knuckles a good thwab with the BFH to allow them to drop down onto the nut. To prevent the risk of the CVs falling apart, I did not completely remove the upper ball joints. But using a big flat head screw driver and a pry bar, I could not get the bottom of the old shock to slip out after removing the single bolt and removing the top 4 bolts.

Question to the group: How can I pry and leverage the old worn Old Man Emu shocks out of the lower suspension arms? Do I need to drop the LCA instead of just loosening the upper ball joint?

Any other good natured tips appreciated!

Thanks y'all- I always appreciate the group's expertise.

Here are the instructions I was using:

tempImagehyhAQJ.png
tempImageuPwKnW.png
tempImageJD9iae.png
tempImage9RwNLz.png

tempImageDdPhAu.png

Last edited:
Made a few tool friends this weekend working on the 200 to install Old Man Emu lift kit:

1) Toyota factory jack (surprisingly put the floor jack to shame in usefulness for getting the front of the truck up on jack stands- floor jack was great for manipulating suspension though)
2) Penetrating oil made it a lot easier to get some of the suspension bolts out
3) BFH (picked up a 4 lb sledge and made short work of the tie rod bolts)
4) Pry bar saved my butt a couple times with the sway bar linkage bolts connecting the sway bar to the lower suspension arms
5) Punches were key for the single bolt holding the bottom of each strut

Unfortunately, a couple challenges of the install means I'll have to make a second attempt next week.

Here were the show stoppers:

1) LCAs have seized cam bolts. I've got a brushless sawzall and medium and thick metal blades and new OEM LCAs and hardware ready to go in. But not looking forward to cutting the old bolts and sleeves out.

Question to the group: Anyone have any tips for cutting seized cam bolts out?

2) I couldn't for the life of me pry out the worn Old Man Emu shocks by loosening up the upper ball joints, removing the steering rod ends, and removing the bolts connecting the sway bar to the lower suspension arms... I left the nuts retaining the upper ball joints on, leaving about half the nut on the end of the thread, after giving the the top of the steering knuckles a good thwab with the BFH to allow them to drop down onto the nut. To prevent the risk of the CVs falling apart, I did not completely remove the upper ball joints. But using a big flat head screw driver and a pry bar, I could not get the bottom of the old shock to slip out after removing the single bolt and removing the top 4 bolts.

Question to the group: How can I pry and leverage the old worn Old Man Emu shocks out of the lower suspension arms? Do I need to drop the LCA instead of just loosening the upper ball joint?

Any other good natured tips appreciated!

Thanks y'all- I always appreciate the group's expertise.

Here are the instructions I was using:

View attachment 3100108View attachment 3100098View attachment 3100101View attachment 3100104
View attachment 3100114
Since you're replacing the lower arms anyways loosen those to help. Or you could do the 2 nuts at the knuckle that was the LCA isn't connected to the hub allowing you to have upper and lower move independent of 1 another. Similar to how the spacer was added to your 4runner

Diablo blade cuts through those LCA bolts like butter.
Good to know. Do you know if medium or thick metal blades work better? I’ve got both.

F565DD72-A3CC-4C3A-903D-29436C407A61.jpeg

So long personal property taxes and yearly inspections! :flipoff2:

And Hello to curious people asking questions about your 1981 Toyota.

:doh:

Paying the annual sticker fee for a sticker that doesn't exist is still plenty irritating.

Today I replaced the transmission isolator/mount. Sure enough, the puck on the left side of the old unit had separation.

Got the family cage done and painted.
A613371F-38FD-48C0-8336-3D52F3521C47.jpeg

Uh-oh!
I thought it was a handhold for me??

Guys...guys... it's the "family cage" so one of you can just sit in the back.

Got the family cage done and painted.
View attachment 3107061
That's really nice. I REALLY wish I had gotten the Jackson cage when we placed that group order. If we do that again or if a few members want to see if we can get a shipping discount if we order together lets try and do that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom