Rear Suspension Airbag install questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gotcha, my firestones just delivered today. $100 on Amazon đź‘Ť

If anyone needs a small compressor to use with their airbags, let me know. I don’t use bags anymore but I still have the small compressor I need to remove from the jack compartment

FYI, A bicycle pump works as well. I have my bags plumbed to my compressor now, but prior to that when I was experimenting with pressures I used a simple bike pump. Just a tip for whomever doesn't take up @linuxgod offer in time. ;)

Honestly the bags are all functionally the same. Just get whichever that you can source easily. They're low tech enough that they'll likely all stand the test of time.

IMO, I see no reason to use over 35 PSI. I'm 5200lbs on the rear axle and I only ever use ~18PSI, at least with AHC.
I believe that's true. I just replace soem old school AirLift's from my 100-series. Needed taller ones for a recent lift so have Firestones W237604164 now. Blue FTW.

I saw two different sets on Amazon, the w237604164 and 4164 (the ones I purchased)…are these different heights? The Firestone site only shows this:

A2DBCEFB-539C-4D2A-8AD1-791EB02E9FBC.png

Last edited:
I'm running the Firestone item #F4164. Mine came from etrailer, but I would guess what you ordered is the same. Measure the height of the bag and the height between the spring perches while on the ground. If your bag seems way short you can leave an extra ring on the bump stop when you cut it. The advantage to that is you can always go back and cut it off if need be. I didn't need to do that, but it would be a good idea to check.

Last edited:
If anyone is still watching this thread. I am planning on installing the Firestone bags in my '97 80-series. I watched the Airbag Man video and they drill holes through the flooring for the air line, however, most of the setups I see have the lines run under the vehicle to valves installed under the bumper. Are you guys feeding the air lines through the flooring into the cargo area and then back out under the vehicle? Or are you able to route them out top of the airbag without going through the floor?

Second question. Since I am going to be removing the springs, it it worthwhile to replace them? And if so, is there a better choice other than stock? I was looking on Dobinson's site and they have a lot of options for replacement. They have a 1.75" lift spring for front and rear and thought that might be better for clearance under load and small enough that I don't need to add sway bar brackets or anything...I think :)

Appreciate the advice!

If anyone is still watching this thread. I am planning on installing the Firestone bags in my '97 80-series. I watched the Airbag Man video and they drill holes through the flooring for the air line, however, most of the setups I see have the lines run under the vehicle to valves installed under the bumper. Are you guys feeding the air lines through the flooring into the cargo area and then back out under the vehicle? Or are you able to route them out top of the airbag without going through the floor?

Second question. Since I am going to be removing the springs, it it worthwhile to replace them? And if so, is there a better choice other than stock? I was looking on Dobinson's site and they have a lot of options for replacement. They have a 1.75" lift spring for front and rear and thought that might be better for clearance under load and small enough that I don't need to add sway bar brackets or anything...I think :)

Appreciate the advice!

No need to drill through the cab. Space enough underneath to run it along the frame. If you take the spare down, it'll make it easier to see and route the lines. If you must run the lines inside for whatever reason, there's nice grommets existing in the cab where the bottle jack is and similar on the other side.

RE: springs - the beauty of airbags is to keep the stock springs / spring rate to keep that magic carpet ride. Sure if you want to replace OEM for OEM for the tad of settling, it's cheap enough, but I personally wouldn't bother. Any side to side setting can be solved by 5/10mm trim packers. If you have permanently installed weight, that would be a reason to go up in spring rate. If you want a firmer sportier ride and lift, that could be a reason to swap springs too. The sportier ride could be accomplished with shocks too. If you want a minor lift without trade to ride quality, 30-40mm spacers.

Then airbags handle the rest.

No need to drill through the cab. Space enough underneath to run it along the frame. If you take the spare down, it'll make it easier to see and route the lines. If you must run the lines inside for whatever reason, there's nice grommets existing in the cab where the bottle jack is and similar on the other side.

RE: springs - the beauty of airbags is to keep the stock springs / spring rate to keep that magic carpet ride. Sure if you want to replace OEM for OEM for the tad of settling, it's cheap enough, but I personally wouldn't bother. Any side to side setting can be solved by 5/10mm trim packers. If you have permanently installed weight, that would be a reason to go up in spring rate. If you want a firmer sportier ride and lift, that could be a reason to swap springs too. The sportier ride could be accomplished with shocks too. If you want a minor lift without trade to ride quality, 30-40mm spacers.

Then airbags handle the rest.
Great info and advice. I was hoping to just run the lines underneath to the rear bumper. I really like the idea of installing a bracket under the bumper to fit the valves. I also love the stock ride. I installed larger tires last fall and honestly didn't realize how much it would change the feel at higher speeds, so I don't want to make matters worse.

Thanks again :)

mine followed the project 200 youtube video of the install. except for the manual switches. mine went into the engine bay and to the compressor manifold.

All lines were run on the drivers side.

Great info and advice. I was hoping to just run the lines underneath to the rear bumper. I really like the idea of installing a bracket under the bumper to fit the valves. I also love the stock ride. I installed larger tires last fall and honestly didn't realize how much it would change the feel at higher speeds, so I don't want to make matters worse.

Thanks again :)
There's a nice existing bracket with holes to tie into under the tailgate cover. Just need to enlarge them a tad.

pxl_20230119_170600266-jpg.3223716

Is that tire winch handle brush/guide a factory install? Never seen that before…gotta love Toyota;)

Is that tire winch handle brush/guide a factory install? Never seen that before…gotta love Toyota;)

If you're asking about the thin tube, it's a torsion spring and part of the soft open tailgate that comes in the LX and later model year LCs.

If you're asking about the thin tube, it's a torsion spring and part of the soft open tailgate that comes in the LX and later model year LCs.
I think he’s talking about that frayed piece of tape. It’s not an intended brush to knock off dirt, but I can see how it looks that way.

I had originally put my fill valves under the tailgate flap but after dickin around filling them without my dogs escaping. I Tee'd the lines together, added an old oil pressure guage, valve stem and put it all in a aluminum panel. Installed it in passenger side rear panel below the seat release lever. I find it much easier to adjust the bags. Mitch
20230212_172256.jpg

PSA:
I finally found what I think is a good local shop to do airbags and also any future mods that are beyond me.
There aren't a whole lot of places that do this kind of stuff around here but here they were, right under our noses, the whole time.
We went to visit them and got a tour of their shop which has tires, wheels and overlanding gear like Maxtrax recovery gear, Dometic fridges and Goal Zero products.
They are a nice group of people.

They also have a Youtube channel.
I got a quote and we're scheduled to have airbags installed end of March when we get back from our FL Everglades trip.

REF:
No Limit BMORE - https://www.nolimitbmore.com/

There's a nice existing bracket with holes to tie into under the tailgate cover. Just need to enlarge them a tad.

pxl_20230119_170600266-jpg.3223716
I'm getting airbags installed toward the end of the month. I'm making a angle iron bracket to screw on to that dual-hole tab thingey because I'm reluctant to have the installer (or even myself) drill it to enlarge it. It would be great if I can have the bracket pre-drilled and all ready for the installer to just bolt everything together. The holes in the tab on my LC are almost exactly 1/4 in. Do you happen to remember the "tad larger" size hole you drilled to accomodate the schrader valves? Thanks!

EDIT: I stumbled across the installation instructions (attached) online and I think I answered my own question.
"STEP 6—INSTALL THE INFLATION VALVE Drill a 5/16" hole where you wish to mount the inflation valve. "

Attachments

• W237604164.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom