Cant get it to go straight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all , my 2018 LX570 since new has had a issue with pulling all over the place. Mostly if i hold the wheel straight itll go LEFT on the highway i drive on usually , other highway it may pull right , sways around . I've gone to the dealer since it had 100 miles on it , dealer told me the OEM 21" wheel it came with need to " break In ' - went back at 5k miles and was told its fine and the alignment machine shows within spec. Took it to other dealers, and firestone and they all said the alignment on paper is perfect , yes front wheel inner thread is feathering and wearing out alot quicker , The left front tire inner thread it pretty much almost done while the outside and center threads look new car now has 30k on it. Car sways around on the highway as well. Is it just the s***ty tires that come on the 21" wheels ? Anything I should be looking into more ? I know with other lexus vehicle I've had the Lower control arm bushing are soft and people swap them for a more solid one , would that help on the LX ?

Almost at the point of selling it if i cant figure it out. I loved my old 2003 land cruiser , now regret selling it for this.

The tire wear suggests something isnt aligned right...or worn.

Even if your alignment is "within spec" you could try asking them to "Add as much positive caster as possible". More positive caster helps the truck track straighter on the freeway. Just within spec might not be enough.

Also whats your tire PSI...may be reason for both issues. A lot of times the simplest thing is the issue.

Hello all , my 2018 LX570 since new has had a issue with pulling all over the place. Mostly if i hold the wheel straight itll go LEFT on the highway i drive on usually , other highway it may pull right , sways around . I've gone to the dealer since it had 100 miles on it , dealer told me the OEM 21" wheel it came with need to " break In ' - went back at 5k miles and was told its fine and the alignment machine shows within spec. Took it to other dealers, and firestone and they all said the alignment on paper is perfect , yes front wheel inner thread is feathering and wearing out alot quicker , The left front tire inner thread it pretty much almost done while the outside and center threads look new car now has 30k on it. Car sways around on the highway as well. Is it just the s***ty tires that come on the 21" wheels ? Anything I should be looking into more ? I know with other lexus vehicle I've had the Lower control arm bushing are soft and people swap them for a more solid one , would that help on the LX ?

Almost at the point of selling it if i cant figure it out. I loved my old 2003 land cruiser , now regret selling it for this.
Any modifications?
I had a tire with broken internal belts on a Tacoma that gave me the same random pulling all over the place. New tires fixed it. The wear you’re having seems like alignment and just because all the lights on the machine are green doesn’t mean it’s right for your LX. If it was mine at that mileage and with a worn tire, I’d get a set of new ones (Michelin Defender LTX/MS) and then find an alignment shop willing to work with you and not just say “within specs”.

I have also had a bad tire do this. On my 100, with brand new KO2 all around, could not for the life of me get it to track straight despite an essentially all fresh front end - tie rods, lower control arms, bushing, sway bar ends etc… decided to also throw new tires on given all the fresh and boy did that cause grief. Thought it was some mis installed component.

Went round and round with one of the best alignment guys in New England and he said every time he has this it was a tire that was slightly mis-tread. Sure enough we swapped the tire to the rear and all the trouble ended.

Got BFG to swap the tire on warranty and haven’t looked back.

Some time the least obvious problem is the simplest answer.

Can you post your most recent alignment specs? If we are able to see what you are setup with for camber, caster, toe..etc. we can help diagnose. These are the specs I take to my alignment shop and have them duplicate or get as close as they can. My 2013 LC is lifted with 33” tires and tracks straight with even tire wear.

B05A816E-83BA-4E62-B4DF-9CD695803AB5.jpeg

I'm having very similar issue. 09 LX570. If I hold the steering wheel straight, the vehicle will veer to the RIGHT. In the past the computer has flashed "Check VGRS System." I use techstream to align the steering wheel, which clears the VGRS message, but every few months the "Check VGRS message would light up". Not sure if it's coincidence or not, recently I had to get my front drivers wheel TPMS system rebuilt at Discount Tires. Soon after the front drivers TPMS was rebuilt, which required removing the entire rim and tire, I'm noticing the car constantly veers to the right. So as a result I have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left to keep the car going straight, which is annoying.

Odd thing is when I shift and drive in reverse, the car goes straight when the steering wheel is centered.

I've used techstream a couple of times to reset and adjust VGRS steering angle, doesn't straighten out the steering wheel when going forward.

Does my car have the same issue as OP? Is it an alignment issue, or does it have something to do with the VGRS, which I hope not because the replacing/repairing the VGRS is $$$. My tires are not that old, maybe 17k mostly highway miles.

I'm having very similar issue. 09 LX570. If I hold the steering wheel straight, the vehicle will veer to the RIGHT. In the past the computer has flashed "Check VGRS System." I use techstream to align the steering wheel, which clears the VGRS message, but every few months the "Check VGRS message would light up". Not sure if it's coincidence or not, recently I had to get my front drivers wheel TPMS system rebuilt at Discount Tires. Soon after the front drivers TPMS was rebuilt, which required removing the entire rim and tire, I'm noticing the car constantly veers to the right. So as a result I have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left to keep the car going straight, which is annoying.

Odd thing is when I shift and drive in reverse, the car goes straight when the steering wheel is centered.

I've used techstream a couple of times to reset and adjust VGRS steering angle, doesn't straighten out the steering wheel when going forward.

Does my car have the same issue as OP? Is it an alignment issue, or does it have something to do with the VGRS, which I hope not because the replacing/repairing the VGRS is $$$. My tires are not that old, maybe 17k mostly highway miles.

When was the last alignment? Sounds like you don't have enough caster in the right to counter the road crown, but I don't understand why the VGRS is acting up.

When was the last alignment? Sounds like you don't have enough caster in the right to counter the road crown, but I don't understand why the VGRS is acting up.
Honestly can't remember. All 4 tires were replaced around 17k miles ago at Discount Tires. At time the tires were replaced, I assume Discount Ties had to align the new tires at time of install? Tires were last rotated 7k miles ago at Discount Tires.

I'm not sure if the VGRS is related or coincidental.

Honestly can't remember. All 4 tires were replaced around 17k miles ago at Discount Tires. At time the tires were replaced, I assume Discount Ties had to align the new tires at time of install? Tires were last rotated 7k miles ago at Discount Tires.

I have not seen a Discount Tire that offers alignments. I now use Firestone which offers lifetime unlimited alignments for around $100. Best bet is to know the specs you want and advise the tech so they can set the LCA cam bolts for proper caster, camber and tie rod ends for toe. Otherwise they will just get things in the "green" and call it a day.

Last edited:

OP, were you able to take your LX in for an alignment? If so, did it resolve your issue?

None of the Discount Tire in my area do alignment.

Ill try and find my recent alignment printout , When they are aligning the vehicle they first put it in N - and then click OFF . I tried rotating the tires and still does the same . No modifications on the vehicle , vehicle is bone stock with 30k miles and its been this was since day 1 - i bought the car brand new - no accidents and all highway miles , never been offroad or anything like that . I've played with the tire pressure , Ive been from 30 to 45 - but no change . Is there a good recommended shop in Dallas, Texas I should take it to that know these vehicles well ?

Many alignment shops are bad for doing a "toe and go," meaning they check/adjust the toe and nothing else. Camber and caster are also crucial, especially on vehicles like ours with so much rotating mass. Be sure you're going somewhere thorough and trustworthy for alignments.

Ill try and find my recent alignment printout , When they are aligning the vehicle they first put it in N - and then click OFF . I tried rotating the tires and still does the same . No modifications on the vehicle , vehicle is bone stock with 30k miles and its been this was since day 1 - i bought the car brand new - no accidents and all highway miles , never been offroad or anything like that . I've played with the tire pressure , Ive been from 30 to 45 - but no change . Is there a good recommended shop in Dallas, Texas I should take it to that know these vehicles well ?

OP, when you put your vehicle in reverse and with the steering wheel centered, does the vehicle drive straight in reverse?

Last edited:
OP, when you put your vehicle in reverse and with the steering wheel centered, does the vehicle drive straight in reverse?
I have not tried this , i will today . ,

Also was not able to find my alignment print out , found a shop down in dallas who specialize in suspension and alignments only - am going to give them a try .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom