'78 55 Taillights........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'd like a new taillight for my '78 55 as the one I have is so faded. I know they are not available and I'm guessing there is no one who wants to part with something that is impossible to find. So my questions is, what options are out there for custom make tail lights? Are there any companies overseas that are still making them? Just looking for options.

Thanks
Scott

This might be more than what you wanted

Too expensive for my taste, although if I needed the full assembly it might be justifiable... guess I'll get some red and yellow tape. Argh, keep thinking maybe it's time to buy a diesel Jeep Gladiator...

I'll continue looking for a supplier overseas, I haven't been lucky enough to run across anything. I'd rather spend my money finding a supplier or having them custom made to help others down the line keep their 55's running and on the road and not just museum pieces.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:
Have you tried polishing it?
Not yet, but it was an aftermarket lens and the color wasn't correct so I'd like to find one that matches the original.

Last edited:
Yea...Pigs are not for the faint of wallet.
Your absolutely correct, I've got two. I do my best to keep my Cruisers on the road and daily driving so when costs become exorbitant It pushes them to become garage queens which is not why I own them. So if I can find someway to help keep quality parts available I will.

I'm thinking like Bob said, someone in Aus. was making those lenses.
Yeah, I was looking but haven't been able to find anyone. If anyone has a lead please let me know, I'll continue to look for options.

How married are you to stock? You could fab up a plate with a red, yellow, and white led and weld/bolt/rivet it to the body in place of the factory lens. For less than $100.
I actually thought about integrating 60 series lights, but I like the idea of staying stock since that is what makes them so unique.

Yup just noticed that. I'm new to the 55 world just bought a 72 and was looking for a tail light.

Yup just noticed that. I'm new to the 55 world just bought a 72 and was looking for a tail light.
Thanks for the thought. Congratulations on the ‘72.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom