Freedom Off-road UCA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

do the freedom UCA require greasing when new? cause i definitely did not do that

Yes, they do. I believe it mentions that in the instructions lol.

So, as this story concludes, you now have an overall good opinion of the UCAs (after taking them apart and having put 1 years worth of use on them)?

Honestly, I would still buy them again. For the price, and quality, they have been a great bargain purchase, however disappointing the CS.

I feel there is unfortunately more troubleshooting needed to completely 100% narrow down whether the noises is in fact ball joint related.

You'll have to define "hardcore wheeling", as some people consider weekend trips down the forest service roads "hardcore". :rofl: I kid.

I definitely push the limits of my rig regularly, if theres a trail, i'm going to get to the end of it regardless of the terrain. I'm regularly kicking rocks, activating ATRAC, and spinning wheels. Nothing like rock crawling, though. Not my cup of tea.

Anyways, sorry to thread jack this one... I can start another thread. But I did some more troubleshooting when I got home from work and popped the control arm boll joint free to inspect the ball joint. To my unprofessional ball joint inspecting eye, nothing seemed wrong. It was tight, it didn't have any play, rips, or looseness, nothing that would indicate it would pop or click or crack under load. I reinstalled it and everything looked A-OKAY.

Next, I decided for kicks to take apart the hub and inspect the bearings, the washer, and C-clip, everything in there also looked OKAY. No indication of any kind of failure or loose nuts. One thing I did notice. I grabbed the CV axle from behind the rotor and tugged on it in and out. I noticed there's a tiny bit of in and out play. Absolutely nothing on the opposite side...

Also... not sure if this is related at all.. or a weird coincidence. But while the front end was on a jack with the key in the ON setting, I turned the wheels left and right to see if I could replicate the popping sound... All of a sudden I heard a gurgling sound followed by liquid hitting the ground. Crap. I went over to the passenger side and noticed that there was power steering fluid pouring out of the engine bay reservoir. WTH? A good amount came out, a decent sized puddle anyways.

I cleaned the mess up, got the car back on the ground and took it for a test drive. No more popping sound... so far, but the power steering pump is definitely toast. It's making all sorts of groaning noises like it's mother just moved across the street.

Looks like all I have concluded today is that a power steering pump is in order.

Thanks in advance for everyones insight and thoughts.
Check your power steering pump reservoir cap for the o-ring seal. Mine would not seal properly after being replaced with aftermarket. It allowed dirt and mud from off-roading to be sucked into the reservoir. It clogged the reservoir filter and ruined the pump.

Could be a joint or rod end in the steering too, and then that noise is just transferring through everything.

If the car was moving back and forth, I'd say too to check your LCA bushings, but they shouldn't make that noise when just turning slightly like that

So, as this story concludes, you now have an overall good opinion of the UCAs (after taking them apart and having put 1 years worth of use on them)?
Could be a joint or rod end in the steering too, and then that noise is just transferring through everything.

If the car was moving back and forth, I'd say too to check your LCA bushings, but they shouldn't make that noise when just turning slightly like that
New inner and outer tie rods and LBJs as well. Sway bar links are also brand new.

New inner and outer tie rods and LBJs as well. Sway bar links are also brand new.

How old are the steering rack bushings?

I suspect your rack bushings are making the noise. You can raise the front end of the truck, secure it properly and then grab a front wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and check for play. Any play would indicate either bad tie rods (which you already eliminated) or bad steering rack bushings.
If you can get a second pair of hands to shake the wheel, you can lie under the truck and observe the rack move too! Just make sure that truck is well supported and secure before you put your coconut in crush zone.

Bushings can be easily replaced and good quality aftermarket poly bushings are surprisingly affordable. Your rack will most likely survive quite a few years. Even a small leak in the rack can be reduced to a manageable level with prudent use of AT-205.

I suspect your rack bushings are making the noise. You can raise the front end of the truck, secure it properly and then grab a front wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and check for play. Any play would indicate either bad tie rods (which you already eliminated) or bad steering rack bushings.
If you can get a second pair of hands to shake the wheel, you can lie under the truck and observe the rack move too! Just make sure that truck is well supported and secure before you put your coconut in crush zone.

Bushings can be easily replaced and good quality aftermarket poly bushings are surprisingly affordable. Your rack will most likely survive quite a few years. Even a small leak in the rack can be reduced to a manageable level with prudent use of AT-205.
TY for the feedback. Already tried the 3 and 9 oclock test, definitely SOME play, I do suspect the bushings are due for replacement so I will add that to my list of things to do.

I feel that a thorough steering inspection and maintenance plan is in order before I conclude failed ball joints at this point.

Anybody know what size grease zerk to get for these? Mine had none with them.

Mine seem to be doing well. I do notice some rubbing, so I would say make sure you have the stated lift required to run these.

Still holding up after 2 years. Only issue is one side is leaking grease from the ball joint so greasing them is a mess usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom