FJ40 dash knee pad installation help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
77 FJ40 USA model. I've been putting interior back together and wiring. Was putting the radio in last night. From retrosound. It has a plate on the front that causes the knee pad pieces to be about 1/8" off the metal dash for a very short segment. (see pic how the black plate goes under the driver side knee pad for just a bit. this is before I restored the body tub. I'm working with fresh paint now. Anyway, i don't recall if there are clips that hold the knee pads on or if I need to use adhesive to keep things as flush as possible. Advice / experience with this is appreciated as always!

FJ40dash.png

There should be little metal u shaped clips that go into the square holes in the dash and retain the studs on the pad

Pull the radio faceplate and install the dash pads. Then put the radio faceplate back in place. Shave the edges of the faceplate if necessary.

Pull the radio faceplate and install the dash pads. Then put the radio faceplate back in place. Shave the edges of the faceplate if necessary.
I thought about that, but it fit fine before i took everything apart. The PO installed the radio initially. There must have been adhesive holding things together. And I recall having clips from the dash but I dont remember how much they held things tight. I may trim the plate like you suggested but I might need adhesive as well.

There should be little metal u shaped clips that go into the square holes in the dash and retain the studs on the pad
I've got those in a bag. I'll give it a try and hopefully that will hold tight enough. and I can trim the radio plate to help the dash pad fit flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom