What are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's no weekend project. Good luck and do it right and once.
Oh, that will take me several weeks. Should be around 10 pallets of block, a Tri-axle of clean backfill stone, perforated drainage pipe, and a couple rolls of Geo-grid to lock it all together. Good part is we are already scraped down to good bedrock base, just need to level things up. Waiting for the well line, gas line, cable, and electric to go in on that side of the house and then will start the wall.

PPL, our electric supplier, is killing me right now - current estimate for getting our electric service in from them is late October. Good thing I started the process with them in May 2021!!

Not the 4runner but still necessary and kind of a part of it.

Trailer needed maintenance. A new deck, brakes, and some lights.

20220709_194703.jpg

20220726_173433.jpg

20220730_132026.jpg

20220806_151501.jpg

Backyard play set upgrade, still very much in progress. Girls grew out of the old ones. New one is 11’ x 14’. And 10’ tall. Enclosed house, 14’ long monkey bars, climbing wall, slack lines and rope grabs all in the works. Temp handrails are there so they can use it some while I keep building.

330D57E6-0DC3-4BEB-909B-18A9AF44022D.jpeg

634082C6-855E-4E96-A8D6-05957F676CB9.jpeg

Many of you know I have spent the last several months resurrecting an 87 FJ60 that I bought from a post here on MUD back in January or so. It was a two for one deal from a guy in Collegeville, I parted out the rusty truck he had purchased brand new to get my money back from the initial purchase. He had bought the other truck from an EBay posting in 2006, truck was in the mountains of California (Placerville area) sitting without a carburetor! Story is the son of the people selling it had removed the carb to work on the truck, moved away and left it sit. So the parents sold it on EBay. The guy I bought it from had it shipped to PA and his plan was to use parts from it to redo his rusty truck. Never happened. Both trucks sat untouched since 2006.
There was no liftgate window in this truck and the interior was filled with all kinds of junk and natural stuff like twigs, leaves, etc. Worst thing was it was filled with mice habitat. I cleaned out the interior and the engine compartment, even tore the headliner out to get rid of mice problems. More on this later. I cleaned out the intake manifold as best I could (remember it had no carburetor for the last 16 years) and tried to start it. No compression. Pulled the cylinder head and found twigs stuck between the valves and their seats in three different cylinders. Borrowed John Merkey's valve spring compressor, pulled all the valves and cleaned everything and putt it back together with an OEM head gasket and an OEM manifold gasket. Bolted on a Jim C rebuilt carb and she fired right up. Sounds good has good power and good compression numbers.
The driver side front spring had four broken leaves, I decided to put a complete deluxe OME suspension on it. Ordered the parts from Cruiser Outfitters and they're now in place. Truck now rides and steers well. T rear is higher than the front- not certain if I'm gonna address that or live with it. Had my local muffler shop remove the cat and redo the exhaust and that's now tight and tucked up high.
I installed the Toyota headlight up grade like in my 40 and like that. Got all the lights and horn working as they should. But the truck still smelled like mice, so.......... I pulled the dash apart and pulled the heater box, AC box, and blower motor housing. They were filled with mice habitat and the heater core housing was absolutely disgusting. I cleaned it out and it still stinks so I have replacements coming in from a friend in California. Doing all this is a lot of work and I'll be glad when she's back together and I can run here again. I took a picture of the interior and the front axle- I had the tire off to replace the flexible brake lines with monger ones. Did I mention I also rebuilt the knuckles? Anyway this is a 60 series that has been saved from the junkyard hope you all get to see her soon.

1AA4F408-7AA3-4E0F-8DA3-71B3A53E4782.jpeg

F059EE6B-5F87-4048-A5F8-664846136C3B.jpeg

She got all new brakes, rear wheel cylinders, calipers rotors and pads up front, new master cylinder. Also replaced both the master and slave cylinders for the clutch. Didn't have a liftgate window but I got one from my Polish friends in CT thanks guys!!!!! Put a set of 33's on it, got them from fellow club member Stosh. And Toyota generously just recently replaced the gas tank for me free of charge under a recall!!!!

Last edited:
Solid work Gary! Pics of the whole truck?

She's a creampuff Gary. What are your plans for her once she's completed?

Pretty much rust free. The one exception was the front floors. Front windows were open about 3 inches on each door and water got in there.rockers unaffected just the outboard part of the doors adjacent to the front doors. That’s been repaired professionally.

Last edited:
Very nice Gary. 60s are great daily drivers. There's so much room in them. Is that a heavy/heavy OME kit? I just made longer front shackles to level mine out. Good Luck with it!

So I got the play set to here, then did this.

Full rupture of the right Achilles. Surgery Tuesday. 8+ weeks recovery, PT and walking in a boot before I can finish house work or even think of driving a stick again. Goal is to be walking with no hardware by Halloween. Going to need to learn to left-foot drive for a while after I get the staples out and before the boot comes off.

A5E1670C-7D3E-4477-B89D-8ECC751A0173.jpeg

5FCBC11A-B41D-4AC6-B6DC-1B4657AFB31A.jpeg

My sears custom 10e lives again.
Its tecumseh hh100 lost spark, turns out the coil and solid state ignition crapped the bed....50 years isnt a bad run i guess...there are no new parts...nor have there been for some time now. Lucky a dude on a sears page came up with a pretty good work around...some twenty years ago, that once all the engine tin is back in place, is invisible.
Super stoked to have pops mower back in service for the up coming fall/leaf mess.

20220914_180338.jpg

Last edited:
So, I’m back up and running. Surgery went well, having to sit in bed with my foot above my heart (controls swelling) for 2 weeks was terrible. Finally got the casts off yesterday and can start walking around with a boot. But only for a limited time, as it swells up again. I have been working from home through, so that has kept me busy.

While I was down, I did do a lot of reading on the Holley EFI systems and how to tune things. I have very few complaints about the Holley Sniper I have on my truck, it starts immediately, ran smoothly all around AOAA, and drives pretty well on the street. It does seem to run rather rich, especially at startup and idle. Plus it had a funny dead spot when it’s cold, where at the first corner you come to a stop at it would die. I’ve updated firmware and re-ran the wizard to let it start from scratch and it got better, but still happened occasionally.

So I got educated enough and watched a bunch of tuning videos, and pulled the files from the ECU on the SD card. I didn’t make a lot of mods for my first try at messing with it, but I did pull 1/3 of a point from AFR everywhere and backed down the startup fuel enrichment about 10-20%. Dropped the new file in the ECU and it started up fine, now needs to go thru the learn cycles again to adjust to what the motor wants at various places. I’m not controlling timing yet with the ECU, there’s varied debates weather timing control behaves reliably with an MSD distributor and CD ignition. But I’m not ready to drop $500 on a new ignition system yet. I should go ahead and check timing again to make sure it’s in the right place.

Now the fun part. I can’t drive the rig yet, right foot is strong enough to push the gas but I’m not comfortable with 3 pedals just yet, especially if something were to happen and I needed to make a quick move. Probably another month before I can really do much in that department. So I think I’ll have Dad come over and drive it with me, and see how it does. I have the base tune stored on the SD card as well, so worst cast I could always drop back to that. Screenshot of the EFI software below

97C65F02-0001-4D95-A815-FA7A5E000321.jpeg

733B5707-47B6-4B74-A28F-58E14D069EF1.jpeg

Acquired another 1972 sears custom 10e to mess around with....for being a one year only model, they're not terribly difficult to find.

20221018_175908.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom