I'm just going to say it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1995 FZJ80 (Jose) is the best off-road vehicle I have ever driven. I learned to drive in a 1976 Jeep Wagoneer. I have owned an XJ and a TJ. I have owned an FJ55 (The Iron Pig) and a 2002 4Runner. I've owned a Nissan Hard Body, a K5 Chevy Blazer and a Tahoe. I've been off-road in a YJ and a JK. The FZJ80 is by far superior to them all. In places where the Jeeps spin and struggle for traction, Jose just drives up. The only time I feel compelled to put it in 4-lo is going down hill so I don't have to ride the brakes. I know there are modified rigs out there that would leave Jose behind and I haven't driven the most radical trails yet but as far as stock vehicles crawling around the mountains near me, the FZJ80 is king.
IMG_1466.jpg

Old news. I could have told you this 29 years ago. :)

Yep. Had mine now for 15 years. Hard to believe actually. Been catching up on some ASPW vids. He mentions in several of his vids that the 80 series was likely the epitome of Toyota 4x4 off-road engineering and design. Of course, he is referring to the 4.2 diesel engine versions. One of his 105 series (100 series body on an 80 series chassis) with the 4.5 petrol engine was using over 30L/100 kms! Mine is about 22L/100 kms in mixed city/Hwy. I’ve seen plenty of Jeeps do just as well or even better off-roading, but they can’t even come close to the reliability, quality or payload of an 80 series.

Not sure if your assessment is true. Jeep is far superior offroad, especially rock crawling. I wheel with plenty of them.
I agree. It’s very easy to build a jk that’ll will do buggy trails

A factory Rubicon JL will fit 37s in stock trim, already comes with f/r lockers, sway bar disconnect, sliders. and all the goodies to tackle the Rubicon without fuss...Don't think a stock 80s can do that without body damage

Not sure if your assessment is true. Jeep is far superior offroad, especially rock crawling. I wheel with plenty of them.
I don’t think so !!

A factory Rubicon JL will fit 37s in stock trim, already comes with f/r lockers, sway bar disconnect, sliders. and all the goodies to tackle the Rubicon without fuss...Don't think a stock 80s can do that without body damage
That all great if they don’t brake down doing it !!🤪

Maximum rubber on rock = crawl. I'm sure the bald tires help immensely :) .

That all great if they don’t brake down doing it !!🤪
My Jeep group just finished Barrett Lake, Rubicon and Sierra Trek this year, 9 jeeps with only 1 minor trail repair, while my other Yota group with 7 80 series doing just the Rubicon this past weekend and had 12 breakdowns total. Broken track bar, smashed gas tank/fuel delivery issues, punctured brakelines, broken front axles, ball joints, snapped rear axle flange bolts, and bent rear drive shaft.....and i guaranteed you the Jeeps guy are taking way harder lines granted most of them on 40s and 37s w/ V8 swaps

🙄🙄🙄🙄

My Jeep group just finished Barrett Lake, Rubicon and Sierra Trek this year, 9 jeeps with only 1 minor trail repair, while my other Yota group with 7 80 series doing just the Rubicon this past weekend and had 12 breakdowns total. Broken track bar, smashed gas tank/fuel delivery issues, punctured brakelines, broken front axles, ball joints, snapped rear axle flange bolts, and bent rear drive shaft.....and i guaranteed you the Jeeps guy are taking way harder lines granted most of them on 40s and 37s w/ V8 swaps
Sounds like it’s time for you to move over to a JK

The jeeps you speak of sound like a 100k build and not much left of the original vehicle.

The youngest 80 series is now over 25 years old I would like to see some of these jeeps when they get that old.
If they make it to that age.

In the end it all about getting out on the trail and having fun.
Just have to remember that this is Toyota Forum and JKs are a Dime a dozen and on every corner.

Cheers

The jeeps you speak of sound like a 100k build and not much left of the original vehicle.

The youngest 80 series is now over 25 years old I would like to see some of these jeeps when they get that old.

Just have to remember that this is Toyota Forum and JKs are a Dime a dozen and on every corner.

Cheers
Haha....I love all platforms of vehicles. Our Jeep guys are just a bunch of experienced rock crawlers that used to drive toyotas back in the days...Nothing against jeeps, they are just out there having fun and don't discriminate ppl like me tagging along.

But i can't say for some of the peeps on MUD that still discriminate other 80s platform....that is what i hate the most about this forum....i know who they are.

Cheers
^^^^^This plus marco is comparing apples to oranges. An armored up 80 is almost twice the weight of most jeeps. An old boss's of mine comment: "I hate my jeep. I drive it for a day and work on it all week to get it ready for next weekend."

Last edited:
Welcome @Two Fish, some of us love our old 80's as well.

Haha....I love all platforms of vehicles. Our Jeep guys are just a bunch of experienced rock crawlers that used to drive toyotas back in the days...Nothing against jeeps, they are just out there having fun and don't discriminate ppl like me tagging along.

But i can't say for some of the peeps on MUD that still discriminate other 80s platform....that is what i hate the most about this forum....i know who they are.
Marco, we have never met and I'm sure you a great guy and I would like to wheel with you some time.

But as for you statement about discriminate you are a big offender often discriminating within the 80 group itself, always saying how much better the 3FE is over the FZJ.

I have no issue with other platforms and wheel with Jeeps all the time, that's my 80 with the jeeps on a trip to Sand Hollow at top of the world.
where all from SLO County and made the trip out there together.
1660925339582.png

Anyone that knows me knows that deep down I'm a ford guy and would be wheeling a early Bronco if they weren't so dam expensive !!

In closing the last time I was on the Rubicon there was three broken jeep in a 100 yards clogging up the trail, the white one in the right of the picture was one of them.
It belongs to a good friend of mine and I went out to get parts for him to get it fixed ;)

Cheers, Now lets get back to our regular programming

PS That's a really CUTE cattle dog pup you have Marco, I'm sure the pup's would get along great.

Sassy in the 80
1660926542239.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom