Rear A/C in an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi. Rear AC should work on his own. Under hood here is magnetic valve that get 12v while front AC or cold box is ON and let freon go to front units (AC, fridge) if the magnetic valve does not receive 12v then it will not cool front units but the rear AC will work (kind of ancestors dual-zone AC control) Did u retrofit your AC system? Or it's originally, I beg your fridge thermostatic expansion valve is gone in two way it prevents freon from entering the evaporator or it get over freezing cuz spring and diaphragm does not adjust the correct amount of freon feed, cuz... 🤓 capillar tube is empty or week

Yes, this is all original, the only thing that has been changed (I think) was the compressor. I see that one set of lines basically hits a T intersection a few inches to the left of the Ice box under the car, turning right to go to the box, and left to continue on to the rear system. So somewhere in that intersection the freon can select whether it goes to both ice box and rear, or individual systems? My compressor deffinately seems to only kick on if the dash AC is on. When it is on I get cold air in the rear. So if working correctly, I should hear the compressor kick on then I turn on the dash AC, or the rear AC. And the ice box will only get cold if the dash AC is on.

I’m going to look under the hood for this magnetic valve tomorrow. And the other item to look at is this thermostatic expansion valve (which I guess is right there in-front of the ice box?). I would not be bothered if in the end I still had to rely on the dash AC to trigger the compressor for the rear. If I’m getting cold in the rear, and the rear does not trigger the compressor on its own, does that tell us that the magnetic valve is malfunctioning in some way? Gosh it’s all confusing me bit now. I’ll sleep on it.

Related but separate question: I’d like to recharge the system at some point so I can really see if the systems are working well, it definitely seems low on freon right now. I’m sure the AC guys aren’t going to be familiar with this triple system, is there a special way they have go about this to make sure they really access the entire system?

thanks so much!

thanks so much!

Do you have a button on the dash for the rear AC and also above the head of second row? Try to push both.
If the magnetic valve is not active (bottom front AC or cold box is OFF or both is OFF), you will not have freon in the front AC and cold box, so compressor will pump freon just to rear AC

When I was doing my recharging I didn't had charging manifold with R12 on scale, so I used old style way, here is sight glass window under hood you can see amount of freon inside, my experience says on fully charged system when the compressor starts, you should see freon bubbles for 5 seconds and then a clean stream like a water, and after compressor is kick off completely, you should see freon foaming as soda, then will disappear and the glass may become slightly frosted and then clean.

In normal off/on compressor operation cycle you should see bubbles - clean stream - soda - and repeat again as cycling

Also with AC is ON, compressor pumping, check the lines under hood and under car
especially where the lines go into the cold box

Low pressure line (fat pipe) should be cold
Nigh pressure line (slim pipe) should be hot

Sight glass window and magnetic valve should be under the fender

unnamed (2).jpg

2015-06-08-10028.jpg

Last edited:
Wow such good info, I found the sight window and I think I found the magnetic valve on the left fender about 12” in front of the firewall. Also found another electronic something just a few inches in front of the sight window (in front of the battery) on the same line. I only have the button above the back seats, nothing for the rear AC on the dash.
650BFE72-E32F-4749-9EB7-A75CDCF6BDC3.jpeg
D861E7BC-1F2F-4AA3-BA80-8D025222E016.jpeg
06395E8B-F18A-47C4-BCAB-8D24D98D2B4C.jpeg
86701F2D-0FDB-4FF3-B28A-04C64BBE732E.jpeg

968124E6-A0CD-484B-AA43-BC1A5B0EE9A6.jpeg

The 2nd photo is the pressure switch that reads the hi and low side pressures and will shut the compressor off if the pressure is out of spec. The 3rd photo, the Denso solenoid is to shut off the lines to the rear a/c when it's not being used.

I have the metal support and the Trim panel they are not included in the pictures but will update it - Thanks for the feedback

Bumping this if anybody is interested in a rear ac system. I have a jdm truck with it that Ill be selling off.

Happy to give some advice on what to pull in order to make a “kit” to sell so someone can under take this massive project. I tried but I’m missing many of the smaller things so I gave up. Everything is still in boxes collecting dust.

Happy to give some advice on what to pull in order to make a “kit” to sell so someone can under take this massive project. I tried but I’m missing many of the smaller things so I gave up. Everything is still in boxes collecting dust.
Where are you located? I need a thing or two.

I’d like to recharge the system at some point so I can really see if the systems are working well, it definitely seems low on freon right now. I’m sure the AC guys aren’t going to be familiar with this triple system, is there a special way they have go about this to make sure they really access the entire system?
I recently recharged my '94 with rear ac and console cooler/ice maker. I made a video of the whole process in case anyone wanted to see how it's done.

Hope that helps someone!

Wow this is an informative thread. I have a '93 HDJ80 with original rear AC and console refrigerator. I am having an issue at the moment where the normal front AC is not getting cold but the rear AC and the refrigerator work great. I have checked many things and have noted that the front AC evaporator behind glovebox is not dirty/clogged but it simply doesn't get cold.

I am having trouble figuring our where/how the system divides to the three separate 'zones' and what may be the cause for the front not working when the rear and frig work fine.

it seems like some here have dug pretty deeply into the rear AC situation so I thought I would ask in this thread for any advice on how to continue to figure out why front not getting cold.

Thanks much!

this is prob a bad evaporator which is under the front dashboard. you need to put the ac gauges on it and compare it to the full service manual on specifications.

Wow this is an informative thread. I have a '93 HDJ80 with original rear AC and console refrigerator. I am having an issue at the moment where the normal front AC is not getting cold but the rear AC and the refrigerator work great. I have checked many things and have noted that the front AC evaporator behind glovebox is not dirty/clogged but it simply doesn't get cold.

I am having trouble figuring our where/how the system divides to the three separate 'zones' and what may be the cause for the front not working when the rear and frig work fine.

it seems like some here have dug pretty deeply into the rear AC situation so I thought I would ask in this thread for any advice on how to continue to figure out why front not getting cold.

Thanks much!

here is where is split .. there is a valve here .. which control the " gas " going to the rear evap when you activate the rear AC switch

1677105954118.png

It’s called the magnetic switching valve (this part was discontinued 20 years ago)

Last edited:
here is where is split .. there is a valve here .. which control the " gas " going to the rear evap when you activate the rear AC switch
What would be the result of not having that valve?

I'm trying to piece together a rear AC system, PO took out all the refrigerant lines and dash controls, but left everything else, no idea why. I've got a mostly complete set of of AC lines out of a wrecked car sitting in my daily driver right now, that valve definitely didn't come with the lines I bought, don't recall it being in the shell. PO also bypassed with console fridge lines, not sure how that's gonna go but they insisted it worked fine.

When I push the normal AC button in the HVAC controls The green light illuminates on the button but it's like it doesn't do anything anymore. Does that magnetic switch only get triggered by the rear AC or is it triggered by the front or rear AC?

And if it's been discontinued for 20 years are you stuck trying to find a used one if you need one?

Do we have any detailed information on how it works? What wiring goes to it? Any pin out of what wires are supposed to do what?

What would be the result of not having that valve?

I'm trying to piece together a rear AC system, PO took out all the refrigerant lines and dash controls, but left everything else, no idea why. I've got a mostly complete set of of AC lines out of a wrecked car sitting in my daily driver right now, that valve definitely didn't come with the lines I bought, don't recall it being in the shell. PO also bypassed with console fridge lines, not sure how that's gonna go but they insisted it worked fine.

I had to remove that valve when it went down few years ago .. and the consequence, it's you will fill it up the hole system all times.

It wasn't a problem to me but it might be for any other person that does not like to use the rear AC all the time ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom